Format: DVD|Change

I am a Tái Chi player and teacher of over 20 years, but I love this DVD program because it makes Tái Chi and Qigong learning simple and deeply relaxing for beginners as well as we long term players (who want to learn a new health and relaxation focused approach).
I like the fact that it helps the viewer get the best and deepest benefit from Tái Chi and Qigong without requiring the viewer to learn Chinese terminology or culture. It is a very user friendly and enjoyable way to get a powerful stress relief experience while learning the beautiful art of Tái Chi. Two thumbs up on this one. I recommend it to all of my students, and use the Sitting Qigong relaxation therapy technique in my classes to calm and focus my students. If you only get one Tái Chi DVD -- make it this one!! I noticed all reviewers acknowledged this DVD's effectiveness for stress relief, except one reviewer did not enjoy the detailed instruction. I disagree with him on this. All of the instruction leads the viewer into enjoying deeper and deeper benefits, easing the viewer into a more expansive understanding of the power and soothing healing of the exercises, and the 4 hours of instruction can provide a lifelong Tái Chi experience that will expand over time, even as you enjoy immediate stress relief benefits each time you use it for a few minutes session of destressing.
Relax into this rich Tái Chi & Qigong exerience. You'll be glad you did!
on 10 June 2003
This DVD is great for learning Tai Chi and QiGong. One of the best, if not the best that I have ever seen. From the first time you watch it you will see, and feel results. The first time that I watch it, I sat down, watched the introduction for the DVD which explains the ideas, science and practices of Tai Chi and QiGong and then did the first 15-20 min exercise which is a simple QiGong exercise. I was stunned for lack of a better word. By the end of the exercise I was felling much better and refreshed, and I am now 100% convinced of the existance of chi. It is definatly there and if you do the same exercise you will believe in it to.
The Tai Chi exercise are also very good. They are done in a stress-free environment and way of learning, as there is no pressure in moving too fast, and all the lessons are done in a way so that they are explained and shown in a very clear and understanding manner. It will take time (as all things do) to learn all of the Tai Chi form so that you can do it on your own without the DVD, but it is easy to follow and learn with tips on how to learn from it. (e.g. turning your back on the TV and putting a mirror in front of you so that you can see everything being done the right way, instead of having to swap the movement around in your head. This is because he does the lessons facing the camera, so if you do it facing the TV, then you will have to do it the opossite way/side to him to get it right.)
Overall this is a EXCELLENT Tai Chi and QiGong DVD. Easy to learn from, very relaxing and painless to do, and believe me, if you stick with it and follow the instruction that you are given, you will definatly notice results in you life, including improved health; improved joints, back and neck; better and more positive attitudes and feelings; and you will also find a great way to relax with the great QiGong exercise. My favourite bit ;-)
on 21 October 2001
A bit skeptical at first since many videos I watched before were always "over my head," with no consideration for the simple needs of the student.
Bill Douglas's video was completely different! I was able to grasp very easily what he was talking about. He goes through the practice in "real time" so you get a full workout not just the mini version, making it a comfortable, effortless, & easy way to learn Tai Chi. I look forward to my practice and feeling like I'm doing it with a "friend."
All in all I get the feeling that Bill really wants people to get Tai Chi and Qigong, rather than just "make a buck." I highly recommend him and his instruction to everyone.
I am really enjoying this dvd and would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone. The sitting qigong relaxation exercise is beautiful, my breathing naturally just became so peaceful and at the end I didn't want to move, I just wanted to rest in that balanced state. The movements themselves are set out really well, because Bill takes you through them several times and you can always rewind the dvd to see it as many times as you need to. I like the way that the whole form is broken into lessons. The first time I found that I got confused and wanted to mirror him rather than do the opposite but I managed to get over that. I felt so good when I managed to memorise the first lesson and keep wanting to 'play' the movements all over the place throughout the day! The movements themselves - wow. When you are doing them, so slowly and gently, your whole body just feels balanced and calm, and when you breathe properly in unison with the movements, it is like nothing you have ever experienced - trust me :)

The only thing is that, as a previous reviewer said, I think a bit more care could have been taken with the set, which mostly appears to consist of a blue wavy blanket and lots of mosquito nets hung around the place. However there are some parts where Bill puts all the movements you have learned so far together in the park with lots of tweeting birds, which is nice. Oh another thing is that there is no music either, which I thought was a shame. I am intending to learn from the dvd and then play my own choice of music anyway when I practice.

I used to practice yoga and I liked it, but as far as I am concerned, nothing beats this wonderful feeling from playing t'ai chi, and Bill's dvd is an excellent way to learn.
on 26 November 2004
I bought this DVD two weeks ago and so far things are going really well. I have learned nearly half of the twenty minute T'ai chi routine (form) already! I am really enjoying it too. It is very simple to follow (the form is broken down into managabe mini lessons), and if you do find anything a little tricky, simply replay that lesson as many times as you like until you get the movements into your head. I think I am learing much faster than I would if I were going to lessons, although I suppose this is basically like having lessons in your living room, whenever you like. One thing to bear in mind is that you need a reasonable amount of space to be able to do the movements, as you are required to slowly move around; but nothing excessive. Common sense though, I suppose. Bill douglas is very non-threatening, so being a beginner is not a problem. I would give this 5 stars, but perhaps it doesn't go into quite enough detail as regards the mystical/physiological effects, and also the scenery could be a little more imaginative as regards tranquility. However, these are minor points. I think T'ai chi is about doing, and feeling, and once you have been through this DVD you can continue to learn and practice by yourself: relaxing, centering, flowing. In short, I feel that I could not have found anything better for my money. A lifetime of T'ai chi simply and effectively. If you want to go on and learn more later, you can; but start here!
on 17 June 2003
In my daily work I get loads of stress, which causes my shoulders and neck to tighten up. My wife was following a local Tai Chi course which isn't ideal if you miss some lessons and due to the lack on repetition during the week. That's why I bought the DVD (easy to go to the right place with the menu, no wearing of the video quality) so that I could learn Tai Chi at my own pace. I was impressed by the sitting Qi Gong exercise as I felt really what Bill said. It calmed me down and I felt it during the following days too. I am learning now also the Tai Chi movements and every evening I am looking forword to my 'unstressing moments of Tai Chi'. Even during stressed moments I think to my 'unstressed moments' and I can control my stress/emotions.
Thanks Bill for being the guide.
on 21 October 2001
I found Bill's video series by accident while looking for an alternative to lower back surgery . . . with three ruptured disc in my lower back. I am now over half way through the program and my range of motion is better than it has been in years. I have even managed to lose a few pounds . . . I highly recommend this program.
on 14 January 2002
What a great way to reduce stress in your life, when you begin to do the excercises in the dvd, all the tension just ebbs away, myself being a skeptic, was very unsure if there really were benefits and as an anxiety sufferer I can say that the rythmic flowing exercises have resulted in a calmer "me" in just a few short weeks. Bill Douglas (the presenter) says that the Chinese "play" Tai Chi and practised with that spirit it certainly brings you back for more.
on 15 September 2003
If you are looking for a DVD to learn T'ai Chi at home - I would say: look no further, you found what you have been looking for. I am absolutely no expert on T'ai Chi but when I started working with the program on this DVD common sense let me know that the presentation of the material is excellent. Bill Douglas does a very good job in describing the exercises and what to focus on once you get the movement right. All the postures and movements are broken down into easily accessible portions and are repeated 3 times in the relevant section on the DVD, i.e. everything is explained in a very clear and concise manner.
The section on the Sitting QiGong exercise could have gone a bit more into detail but nevertheless the exercise is still veeeerrrryyyy relaxing.
One (personal) caveat though: it absolutely does not hurt (in fact it benefits ;-) ) to think about buying the book by Bill Douglas in addition - then you're really set for T'ai Chi.
on 22 July 2006
At 70 years of age I found this to be a really first class tuition course for Tai Chi and my wife and I have now reached lesson 12 (from 18) after some 4 months practice (30 minutes each day). The DVD does however have two major faults :

1 It is very weak on Qigong, where there are much better dvds available.

2 It is not easy to locate your favourite lesson as for some reason the main menu only appears at the end of the dvd ??