5.0 out of 5 stars A little-known treasure.
Published on 4 Dec 2004 by Paul Enright

3.0 out of 5 stars Supercalifragilistic Show Off
You never know what Harry Connick Jr is going to come up with next.
On paper, big band swing arrangements of some of your favourite songs from the movies of your youth sounds a great idea, and it is a refreshing change to hear songs from Mary Poppins and Sound of Music, amongst others, given a good seeing to.
However, it is all a bit over-the-top, and it is...
Published on 3 Dec 2003 by Mr. R. B. Ager

5.0 out of 5 stars A little-known treasure., 4 Dec 2004
This review is from: Songs I Heard (Audio CD)
I have grown to love this album. I hadn't heard much of Harry's music before seeing him interviewed on Parkinson some time back. As a modern jazz fan I thought it might be a little sweet/middle-of-road, but I was overjoyed with it - especially after extended listening (as my kids love it too!)- the arrangements, the vocal clarity and the overall production quality are superb. The Pure Imagination/Candy Man track is simply beautiful. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever, 2 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs I Heard (Audio CD)
Wasn't sure this was to be my cup of tea, but I shouldn't have worried as Harry reworks some old favourites from childhood musicals, as masterfully as any work he has done to date. Particular favourites being Pure Imagination/Candy Man from Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and Over The Rainbow. If you like Harry you'll love this, different but still just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars I the words of the Candyman...'Pure Imagination'!, 9 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs I've Heard (Audio CD)
Nothing could have been more appropriate after having been around for aeons, than for Harry to realease 'Songs I heard'. This pure escapist album transports you back to the days of Poppins, Wonka, Annie and other sublime childrens musical films. From the samba-party style opening track, throught the somewhat dark syncopated piano/voice of 'Oompah Loompah' and the extremely endearing 'Maybe', this album has all the ingredients for a completely dazzling trip down memory lane. Perhaps 'Ding Dong' lacks Harry's usually sparky arrangements and tends to fizzle little after about 40seconds (maybe it lacks his near-perfect vocals) but the other awe-inspiring orchestrations either make you want to dance around the kitchen or settle down with a cup of tea in front of one of those amazing films from yesteryear. Absolutely brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Supercalifragilistic Show Off, 3 Dec 2003
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs I Heard (Audio CD)
You never know what Harry Connick Jr is going to come up with next.
However, it is all a bit over-the-top, and it is difficult to listen to the album all the way through in one go. The arrangements are exhuberant, not to say spectacular, but the contrast between soft and loud, fast and slow, sounds a touch overdone. Your hi-fi amp and speakers will love the workout, but I'm not sure that your ears, or your neighbours', will.
So, like the spoonful of sugar, it's fine in small doses. And it's great as a novelty item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Who?, 15 April 2010
B. L. Foster "Bri the Book" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs I Heard (Audio CD)
Songs I Heard from Harry Commick Jnr like each of his other albums proves what a thoroughly versatile talent he has. His voice gently blends a period song yet gives it his own individual twist. My only criticism is that sometimes the variety of song types/styles makes it difficult to appreciate the whole album rather than enjoying a series of individual tracks.

Perhaps its time for Mr Connick to stretch his music base and put his style on other semi jazz classics. So Harry Who? Why the incredibly talented Mr Harry Connick Jnr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for car journeys, 1 Feb 2008
A. Terry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs I Heard (Audio CD)
This is a family favouite. Our young kids really enjoy the big tunes & lyrics - us parents enjoy the trip down memory lane & a good sing along. Makes a great birthday present for kids parties.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not bad at all, 11 Oct 2011
This review is from: Songs I've Heard (Audio CD)
This is a bizarre reworking of songs from some classical American musicals (are these children songs? My, my, I had no idea American children are so much more refined than kids in Europe). At times it works quite well, especially with guests such as Kermit Ruffins and Branford Marsalis, and with swinging rhythms of "Supercalifragilistic..." (I'll never remember the title well), "Do-Re-Mi", "Ding-dong the which is dead"... or with more modern rhythms of "Oompa-loompa".
Although Connick's voice is of limited appeal as far as timbre and mood goes, the cat has some fine rhythm in him and some of his arrangements are actually quite good (some are overblown, such as "Over the rainbow" but all in all, I'm satisfied).

Naturally, this is not a jazz album per se, although it is coloured with big-band swing (with some elements of dixie and modern jazz): it is a good example of the tradition in American popular music that started when Sinatra and Crosby broke the chains of big bands and became great commercial attractions in their own rank. So, if you like this tradition, you'll probably like this album.
Yes, the design of the booklet is really bad, liner notes are silly but at least you get the names of the musicians... Interesting. I own so many badly designed and poorely "linernoted" Columbia editions... And such a rich and huuuuge company....

3.0 out of 5 stars Songs I Heard by Harry Connick Jr, 27 Aug 2009
Lee Faber "fablee" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs I Heard (Audio CD)
I was quite disappointed with the songs on this CD. My husband bought it because he likes Harry and so do I, but I didn't like this album much and I don't think my husband does either. I would have liked to have previewed the songs like you can on Amazon.com

Songs I Heard
Songs I Heard by Harry Connick Jr. (Audio CD - 2004)