5.0 out of 5 stars Jump Ahead Year 2
Published on 3 Feb 2003 by Pauline

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but Instructions not overly clear
Published on 20 Aug 2009 by Family H

5.0 out of 5 stars Jump Ahead Year 2, 3 Feb 2003
This review is from: Jump Ahead Year 2: Reading, Maths, Geography & More (PC) (CD-ROM)
I am twelve years old now, and have had this programme since I was eight and (even now) I still enjoy it. I love the many things for you to do and the way you can build up points on every activity you do. Every 100 points you get (each activity, depending how hard it is, wil give you from 2-15 points) you get a stamp from the Post Office in the game and build up your collection. I love the way it has been designed in a school. There is a clubhouse (which you get to by climbing the tree or using the secret lift), a classroom, and then many floors below. The graphics are all really good, and fun. In the classroom for instance, you get to write stories and see animated songs about grammar, and when you click on different items in the classroom, they animate. The songs about the grammar don't sound that interesting do they? Think again. They are funny and catchy and... I'm quite embarrassed to admit this (but it's the truth)...that listening and watching these songs completly made me learn what a noun, a verb and an adjective are!!!!! You go around freely, with our friends CJ (a large friendly frog) and Newton (a funny firefly). The activities go from Maths, to English, to matching pairs, to listening to songs...to jumping logs and crocs, shooting at aliens from Mars and even playing football!!!! You won't even notice you are learning some key lessons in life, as well as having great fun, and I really recommend this CD ROM to any child from the age of 6 to 10, as you can adjust the levels of the games so it's never to easy! So my advice is...go out there and buy it!!!
by Rachel James

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fun, fun, 15 Sep 2003
By A Customer
My daughter absolutely loves the games in JA Year 2. She has learnt so much in the space of one weekend! She can be on it all day if I do not stop her. She loves the noun, adjective and verb songs which are crazy but then it serves her memory well simply for that reason. She also loves the maths football pitch game, the "variable" stories she can write and many more! Her only complaint is this - she and ALL her friends could not figure out the Ice Cave maths game. The instructions were very unclear to me, too! Can anyone out there who has bought this CD-Rom help!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but Instructions not overly clear, 20 Aug 2009
Family H (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
The graphics in the CD are really good, my 5yr old really likes it but we have found that the instructions to the games are not the best (neither my 5yr old or 9yr old could work them out and I really struggled) so she got really fed up with alot of the activities and has focused on one or two that she can do easily on her own. It covers a wide range of subjects, the songs and art activities are lovely, but it's not the best we have used, the DK CD Roms are much better in our opinion especially the Cluefinders Cluefinders Year 3 Adventures (Ages 7-8), much clearer and easy for children to use on their own from the start, it also keeps an easier to understand record of their acheivement and progress through the levels, unfortunately Cluefinders does not go below Yr3 but there are other titles by DK for younger audiences (which we are about to try out e.g Play and Learn: Writing & Calculating!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes learning fun! Great motivator!, 1 Mar 2007
I bought this for my 6 year old daughter to help improve her English and Math skills, and I can't praise this programme enough!

My daughter actually looks forward to playing the games and frequently comes up to me saying "Mummy, can I play Jump Ahead Year 2 now please?" with much enthusiasm. I thought it might be just a fad - like with all toys! But she really does enjoy it. I think its because the math games are challenging and she enjoys the excitement of the "theme" of the game, like jumping over crocodiles to get across a river.

I can tell you one thing, I wish I had something like this when I was little learning maths because it would have made the subject less scary. This actually makes maths look fun and because of the way learning is somewhat 'disguised' children lose the fear that a subject is daunting/difficult.

Kid's can also learn how to construct stories and the mechanics behind types of words like verbs, nouns and adjectives. The CD teaches these in a very clever way by making the definitions into a song. As a parent you'll find not only your child singing along, but YOU too!

There are also non educational benefits to this game. One of which is bonding. I found that whilst playing the games and singing along to songs, me and my daughter also had good quality bonding time, laughing and giggling. This is a great feel good factor, as well as boosting my daughter's moral (she felt she could accomplish acedemic tasks) and my moral (I felt I was spending good quality time with my child and I felt like a good parent because I was helping her learn important skills).

Definately a good buy! And GREAT for bonding with the kids!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best educational software we've found, 29 April 2011
Our kids (aged six) really enjoy this. I'm delighted that they will sit and do mathematics (etc) for hours, by choice, for fun. It seems almost like cheating.

Note it doesn't work on Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent jump ahead, 9 Nov 2006
D. Cain (uk) - See all my reviews
all the jump ahead are brilliant for children. they teach them so much without them even knowingit, and parents can keep up to date with their progress via the progress report.

if you children are 2 upwards buy them all as they finish one stage, get the next stage. if you children are older and you have just discovered the cd roms buy the stage they are at so far, and then continue buying from there. i do not know where i would be without these programmes, it keeps the kids concentrating for hours at a time. and they are learning every single second they are playing on them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good activities spoilt by poor navigation and lack of instructions, 11 Feb 2011
Adrian Morse (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 6 year old daughter and I have to say she loves it. The game consists of challenges sent to you by way of virtual postcards from other children. You choose a challenge, complete it and then send a postcard reply back. You need virtual stamps to reply and to gain these you need to win a few games. In theory, this is a great concept. In practice, at least with a child of my daughter's age, you really need to be at your child's side giving them direction all the time because it is all to easy for them to move aimlessly between different activities. Furthermore, some of the activities are not at all intuitive and would benefit from a simple online help button. Especially the ice cave challenge with melting ice cubes...I still havent figured out that one :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars One the best series iof fun/play educational software, 3 Aug 2009
S. Pontonnier-white "spwhite" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
My 7yo son is Autistic and loves computer. The Jump Ahead series of software has been absolutely fantastic for him. It is fun and easy to use. The characters are easily recognisable and loveable, the graphics of very good quality and so is the sound/animation. The exercises are presented in a fun way and the rewards are good motivators. I cannot recommend them enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Jump Ahead Year 2 Reading, 14 Feb 2006
By A Customer
It worked. Our son is now keen to learn. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars what can i say....., 10 May 2009
Ms. M. French (Surrey) - See all my reviews
i love this cd -rom...and more importantly my special needs year 2 daughter thinks it is brilliant. she thinks of it as relaxing and really funny and not school work at all .it is very interesting visually which is just what she needs .

Jump Ahead Year 2: Reading, Maths, Geography & More (PC)
Jump Ahead Year 2: Reading, Maths, Geography & More (PC) by Focus Multimedia Ltd (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / XP)
Used & New from: 0.01