on 13 March 2003
this is an excellent cd, my kids absolutely love it. There are loads of different levels and activities to tackle, with different levels of difficulty. Each completed task wins points to play a game, so children are encouraged to continue playing until enough points are won ...really worth the money..
on 29 December 2003
Good, cheap CD rom for children in year 1. After owning the Starting school jump ahead CD ROM, my daughter got straight into this one and loves it. Well worth the money.
on 24 October 2003
This is the best thing I have bought for my children in ages (aged 4 & 5)they are both addicted and it has actually given my youngest the interest and confidence to use the computer rather than just watch. They are still finding new things to do and I will certainly be buying more in this series.
on 8 June 2011
Frankie the dog navigates you through 18 different learning activities for Year 1 pupils (5-6 years old).

The game includes maths/Literacy/art and music activities and covers the following aspects of Primary National Strategy at year 1.
Maths activities include:

Stories and poems
reading comprehension
Language skills
Visual discrimination
Art and music activities include:
Art and creativity
Music
Memory and listening

As the game starts your child follows Frankie the dog into the schoolhouse, if you are playing for the first time you will be invited to type in your name, if you have played before then simply select it from the drop-down menu at the start. Click on the door knob and follow Frankie into room 1.
Frankie is then introduced with the somewhat cheesy song "He's more than a mascot, he'll help you a whole lot. He's really super-silly. He's Frankie" (Imagine the naffest tune possible and you wont be far wrong - my 5year old daughter loves it though so i guess it's right for the target audience!) He then goes on to explain that you can "always count on me, click on me if you need my help"

Frankie then explains that there are lots of things to do in the classroom, click on anything that you see to begin.

In the classroom you can then choose from the following activites:

Telling the time (click on the clock)
Reading (click on the books)
Master memory game (click on the computer)
Listen to songs (click on the radio)
Paintbox (click on the paintpot)
Progress report (click on the A+ sign attached to the teacher's desk)
Telling the time
The telling the time game is straight forward, and you can choose whether to play against a friend or Frankie. the clock will then show a time which Frankie will read out loud. The aim of the game is to match the time on the analogue clock face to the correct time written in a piece of card.

Reading
When you click on the reading activity, you can choose which book you would like to read from the following titles:
Mother Goose Rhymes
The frog, the pig and the log
Bedtime Reading
The Sweet Machine
Lark in the Park
Pretty Planet
Berowne Bear's teaparty
The Grabdfather clock
When you have made your choice, the book opens and Frankie explains that the first page is tha table of contents and that you can choose which short story or chapter you would like to read. Once you have made this choice the book opens and Frankie reads aloud as the words and sentences are highlighted in red.

Master memory Game
This is a game of Pelmanism which allows children to match the word on a card to a picture of it. Frankie assists by reading the word and saying the name of the picture. You have to match the two together.
Listen to songs
Click on the radio to listen to a selection of maths/English songs (about numbers, days of the week, friendship etc..) As each song plays, Frankie dances.

Paintbox
A simple easy to use, paint/draw program. Pictures can be printed
Progress report (this one's for the parents)
This breaks down you child's score for each activity and provides how many correct over how many attempted. It provides scores for each of the following areas:
Vocabulary and spelling
other maths
co-ordinates
science
time
Each report can be printed.

That completes the activities in the classroom, so now it's time to head to the lunchroom (dining hall).
Here you will meet the school cook - a jolly opera singing lady with the biggest bun in her hair that i've ever seen, and yes she also has a purple rinse - classy!
Activites to be found here:
addition
fractions
measuring and following recipe instructions
Visual recognition and matching.

Addition
To play this game click on cash register. A tray with food on it will appear. Click on each item to find the price, and then use the digits on the cash register to add them up. For example, Hamburger 40p and beans 16p, what is the total cost of this meal.
Fractions
To play this game click on the Hamburger. A plate divided into quarters will appear and you need to put a spoonful of a specified item into the tray.

Click on the kitchen door to access:
Matching the key to a picture game.
Click on the pizza. Frankie appears with a selection of ready made pizzas. he will then describe the pizza he is looking for and provide a key to show what each item looks like. For example a pizza with pepperoni and flies (yes flies!), your child then has to select the correct pizza. This is a race against the clock type of game.

Cooking machine game
Frankie is making something in the kitchen! Follow the instructions to add the correct quantity of each ingredient into the mixing bowl.
Almost there - only two more areas to visit.

The school bus
Use the direction buttons on the steering wheel (North, South, east and West) to guide the red school bus to a new location.
The playground
Play outside with the bottle caps that your child has collected from completing the activities inside the schoolhouse.

SO IS IT ANY GOOD?

Well, if you can filter out the slightly annoying Americanisms of this game, then yes it is! It covers some essential early reading and mathematical concepts in a colourful, interactive way. It is easy to navigate and the instructions are always read aloud so that your early reading child won't be put off and can follow the instructions easily. There are lots of different activities, so your child won't get bored.
each activity has 3 levels of difficulty - so even when they have mastered the easier levels there are still opportunities for further practise. Year 1 pupils are ICT literate and will have no problems navigating this game. I'll hand over to our 5 year old (Year 1) daughter for the final part of this review.
"I like playing this game, i love the cooking game best, Frankie is good. I can play this game on my own and i like it best when i help E (younger sister) to play it"
on 8 November 2006
Some of this was age-appropriate for my 4.5 yr.old but the text comes up very small on the tiny amount of screen it uses, which is a nonsense when learning to read. The dog's voice is quite frankly annoying and the computer voice in the phonics game is inaudable! Not enough of a challenge all-round...we prefer 'Bear and Penguin's Big Reading Adventure' and 'Bear and Penguin's Big Maths Adventure' for ages 5-7yrs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 April 2011
I had the same problem as Rania - it did not load on my computer even though it said on the cover that it could be used on Windows XP. The guidance that came with the disc (which is the only bit that did install!) referred only to Windows 95/98!!! Am returning it and very disappointed
on 12 February 2010
My 6 year old quickly learned his way around this game and enjoys playing all by himself, which is great for his confidence and mouse skills. Pitched at the right level, the music and challenges are sometimes irritating for an adult but doesn't seem to bother my son!
on 15 April 2008
A great disk, both my kids loved it, I bought this to try and get my little boy to advance with his reading and he loves it. Takes a while to figure out how to get into the different rooms, but both my 4 year old and 6 yr old can work the computer by themselves using this software, it really is easy. A great interactive program.
on 4 January 2014
This was my favourite thing to do when I was younger, I've been looking for it again as I recommended it to family to help with their kids progress at school. It was really fun as extremely helpful, particularly when it came to fractions for me. It incorporates learning in to the games, which makes learning fun. I hated maths (I still do) but my favourite activity with this was a maths one, which is saying something. This is great for helping children to grasp basic skills, especially if they are desperately uninterested in certain areas. The character voices keep in interesting as does the range of things to don and explore, I'd highly recommend this game.
on 1 May 2011
Well, I'm a tad naughty.
I bought this game, but Im not exactly in year one - TeeHee! I'm sort of in year 13!
But... Nevertheless, I love this game with all my heart. It has valuble learning skills, and that song about Miss. Flowers makes me tear up every time.
ABSOLUTLEY HOOKED!
Buy this if you want to be nice to your children.