5.0 out of 5 stars Michael's most underrated album
I bought this album the day it came out, and the first time I heard it, I was NOT disappointed, I can honestly say this: I view this album as one of Michael's best works, because I do not compare it to earlier works of his, not because this is worse, but because this is different and I think it is wrong to compare albums, artists and songs!
“Unbreakable”...
Published on 5 Sep 2003 by Hailey Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Sj
Michael Jackson so what
This album like he lived his life bad
Published 2 months ago by S j

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael's most underrated album, 5 Sep 2003
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
“Unbreakable” is an amazing opening up-tempo song that says Michael is back to stay!
“Heartbreaker” is a poppy/clubby song, kind of new, but somewhat familiar, but a great song.
“Invincible,” is really good, and is very addictive to listen to over and over again.
“Break of Dawn,” is a nice softie song which makes you feel great.
“Heaven Can Wait” is a great feel good love song.

“You Rock my World” is a clear repetition of “Remember the Time,” from the “Dangerous” album and if that song was such a great hit, then I fail to see why this one shouldn't be in America.
“Butterflies,” is perhaps my favourite song on the album, a wonderfully vocal melody, and can Michael sing!!
“Speechless” is another favourite, an amazing love song written by Michael himself.
“2000 Watts” is extremely new, but once you get used to it, it is very good.
“You are my life,” a new “You are not alone,” (from the “HIStory” album) and again that song was an amazing #1 hit, so why shouldn't this one be???
“Privacy,” an anti-tabloid song, we've gotten used to this, but this has a really catchy tune and is very rockish.

“Don't walk away” is a great ballad which I love.
“Cry” is our new “Heal The World,” and it is very powerful, and is a wonderful work of art and the best ballad on the album.
“The lost children.” is one of my favourites written by Michael which no artist has ever sung about, amazing.
“Whatever happens” is a new spectacular song, with an amazing tune.
“Threatened,” a great closing song, which is extremely powerful and very addictive!
All in all, this is an amazing album, which is extremely underrated, and which every Michael Jackson fan and even music fan should own!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complicated, Sophisticated album, 3 Nov 2001
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
As a music reviewer I try to give a fair and un-biased opinion of the music whether I like or loathe the artist. Invincible is an album that HAS to be "listened" to, to be fully appreciated. In a way this is a slight disadvantage, since it appeals much more to those who have a "musical ear" and who understand the way music is put together. On first listening, or to the "un-trained ear" it is true that some tracks may go "over the head", but such is MJ's talent that what you first hear is far from the whole picture. Invincible is a highly complex and truly "musical" album full of the trademark discordant chords, complicated rythmns, subtle key and major/minor changes and juxtyposing harmonies. The most musically interesting tracks include "invincible", "unbreakable", "break of dawn", "butterflies", and "whatever happens". The most aesthetically pleasing (and saleable) include the likes of "speechless", & "cry". If you listen carefully with "open ears" you will find that whenever you expect the music to go one way, it inevitabley goes the other, this is a hallmark and much underrated feature of MJ's work - evident from the earliest albums.
Invincible marks an entrance to new territory for MJ. Sure there are the classic "get back at the tabloids tracks" ("Privacy") and the "children tracks" ("lost children"), and these may be used as amunition by those who wish to challenge his position as an innovator. But surely these are private tracks, not saleable ones, they are a means to express feelings in the only way MJ knows how - by song. Invincible IS a much more sophistcated album by MJ & if time is taken to listen and appreciate it, without being coloured by the many derogatory comments about the artist, you will see why.
To compare Invincible to the likes of Thriller & Bad before it is premature, it is time to turn our attentions to the present (isn't that what some critics say about MJ?!) Those albums were made almost 20 years ago - yes that's right 20 years ago! Whether you like him or not, the fact that people still talk about him (positively OR negatively) all these years later is a testament to the extraordinary impact MJ has had on the music industry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 17 Jun 2002
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
It's been nearly a year now since Michael Jackson released Invincible to a torrent of bad reviews, degrading remarks, and shots at his private life.
And thats just the problem, journalists have a hard time saying they like Michael's music because after trying to pull Michael down with inflammatory stories 24/7, saying that, in fact, his music isn't all bad would damage their anti-Jackson image they like to cultivate.
Invincible isn't Michael's best work, but is still MUCH better than most of the reviews said it is. The Notorious B.I.G. turns up from beyond the grave on the opener 'Unbreakable' to lay down an incredible rap, that fits the beat so well, it's almost as if he recorded it especially for Michael's song. It's a heavy, almost dark, track where Michael states defiantly that he will not allow anyone to bring him down, and that, no matter what they do, he's still going to be here. In my opinion the best track on the album, and the comeback single Michael should have allowed himself.
The actual comeback single 'You Rock My World' is a slick slice of pop R&B. Michael sings delicatly over the smooth beat that just makes you want to get up and dance.
On 'Whatever Happens', Michael is joined by latin guitarist Carlos Santana for a beautiful latin tinged track, that would be VERY successful if released as single in my opinion.
'Speechless' is a emotional, beautiful ballad, complete with swelling strings. The song starts with Michael singing acapella, then builds up till it reaches a powerful cresendo, and then ends with Michael singing unaccompnied again. A truely amazing track, showcasing Michael's amazing voice.
Other highlights include the heavy, bass driven industrial funkfest '2000 Watts' with Teddy Riley's spoken backing track, the soft, floating feeling of 'Butterflies' and 'Threatened' with chunky beats, and Thriller-esque lyrics.
It's not a perfect album however. The tracks 'Heaven Can Wait' & 'You Are My Life' sound as if Michael is trying to fit into the current R&B scene, instead of doing his own sound and pushing the envelope like he has down with previous albums. Both of these tracks are overly slushy & and fall flat.
So like I said, not a perfect album, but a DAMN good one, and a worthy addition to anyone's record collection (Michael Jackson fan or not). Don't believe the press!

5.0 out of 5 stars a perfect album!, 4 Nov 2001
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
I had enjoyed MJ's music for about 3 years, and was very curious to hear Invincible. I can honestly say that I couldn't have been happier with it! I had seen bad reviews on it, but then is that something new when a MJ album comes out? I don't think so! Critics will say it's bad even if they think it's good! When I heard the first 3 tracks for the first time I was a bit surprised, I had to listen to them twice to really get the sound. Now I love them! Especially Unbreakable, very nice song!
My personal favourites so far are Unbreakable and Speechless.
Speechless is just simply a BEAUTIFUL song, the accapella beginning and ending are brilliant, as well as the melody, and well EVERYTHING! I can only have one problem with this track, it is just too short!! Alot of people have described The Lost Children as a 'typical MJ song'. Sure, it might be, but oh what a beautiful song!!! Again, too short, but that's no big fault :)
Whatever Happends is also one of the big highlights of the album, and I agree totally. I can't say that it sounds like the Latino-style songs that are around today, and that is a good thing!
2000 Watts is a nice, fast song, Michael's voice sounds really good, and how much deeper!
One of the ballads that I like most, apart from Speechless, is probably Don't Walk Away. Not that I'm that much into slow, sad songs usually, but this one is truly beautiful!
This is definately my favourite Michael Jackson album so far. Every REAL music lover will love this, even though some may be too proud to admit it! lol
Buy it and enjoy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Michael. Thank you Carlos., 2 Nov 2001
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
Well there has to be a first time for everyone...
This is my first ever Amazon review AND I have just listened to Mr. Jackson's latest opus for the first time too (although NOT in a bar as the press reviewers did :)
I've followed MJ since his 'Off the Wall' days and IMHO, he is back to form.
I've only heard this CD once but already 3 things stand out for me.
1. The overall production which is flawless (HOW much did they spend on this ?!)
2. 'Butterflies'. A sweet and extremely catchy tune.
3. Carlos Santana. The 'Latin' sound is a new departure for MJ and it suits him VERY well indeed. Their song together 'Whatever Happens' IMMEDIATELY not so much 'stands out' but gets off the CD and into your head. The way MJ USED to !
So both a new departure and a return to form for MJ. We'll never get back to 'Off the Wall' or 'Thriller' but those days are over and an artist should always move forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Off the Wall, Thriller, History and a new Flavour too!, 24 Oct 2001
S K Felstead (leicestershire, leics United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
A lot has been written about this album not having anything new. I disagree. Firstly the track "Whatever Happens", featuring Carlos Santana has a spanish guitar string feel that is new territory for Jackson. "Speechless" also marks a brave effort to orientate an entire track around his incredible voice. His range should literally have the hairstanding up on the back of your shoulders.
Whilst Michael Jackson will always be primarily focused on earth shaking, hard edged beats, he manages to bring himself in-line with the likes of N'sync and the Backstreet Boys (like "Diry Pop" and "Larger than Life") with the track "2000 Watts". 2000 Watts is definitely one to play full blast! Just don't upset the neighbours too much! It has a catchy hard bass that will play on your mind all day.
Tracks "Privacy" and "Threatened" seem to be genuine commentaries on the way he percieves the media, and the way it percieves him. Again, these are thumping tunes that need some volume to be fully appreciated.
For those who long to hear Michael's harmonies and tone (aka Thriller and Off the Wall especially) then "Butterflies" will have you thinking he hasnt aged a single day since he put out "She's Out of My Life" all those years ago.
The album is definitely varied providing the younger audience with catchy rythm to dance to and the more mature audience with nostalgic extensions on some of this classics.
Don't take my word for it, don't take the so called experts words for it... buy the album and let yourself be the judge. His relationship with the media means you will never see an unbiased review of his work in the popular press. Let yourself decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 30 Oct 2001
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this cd, I was prepared to be let down, I am a fan of Jacko and have all of his albums and I was concerned that this would be a failed comeback. The first track (Unbreakable) hit me and I knew that Jacko had done it again. There is something for everyone in this album, the first 3 songs are of an r&b style with raps coming at the end of each song (notably Unbreakable with a rap from the Notorious B.I.G himself) but as the album continues, you will find slow ballads, such as Speechless and Butterflies, you will also find towards the end of it, a song with a Latin twist to it, "Whatever Happens", featuring the legend, Carlos Santana. His new single, "Cry" is at track 13 on the album, it is dedicated to the victims of September 11th, it is also written and produced by R.Kelly, which guarantees beautiful lyrics and a choir!
A great album after 6 years, well worth the wait, there will be very little narrow-minded critics for this album, but then again, it wouldn't be a Michael Jackson album if everyone agreed with it!
Find it...BUY IT!!!!!
Recommended Tracks...(all of them!) but best tracks
1) Unbreakable
8) Speechless
15) Whatever Happens

4.0 out of 5 stars INVINCIBLE, 20 Mar 2003
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
i think people should stop judging michaels work on his own acheivements and start judging it on music standard. i understand that when someone becomes as huge as michael was, they can only be judged upon the scale of histories greats, or in otherwords on himself. i'm going to judge michaels new album on the music, and not on his scale of fame, thriller, sales, odditys or looks,
the first three tracks (unbreakable, heartbreaker and invincible) have a very techno sound, although decent tracks they have very little flow to catch. michaels voice does excell and the sound, although similar to past efforts remains experimental.
this album has some of the greatest and most unique ballads i have ever heard by any artist. butterflies and heaven can wait, have both fresh and captivating concepts and dont walk away you are my life and speechless have some beautiful hooks that gel perfectly with michaels voice.
dont walk away actually has a country sound to it.
whatever happens is a landmark song, a collab with carlos santana, its a song about a unamed tradgedy and i feel is the strongest track on the album.
where this album fails is the songs cry, privacy and the lost children, although his voice is great in all of those songs,. i feel it is a step backwards apon anyones standards.
i feel that this album is one of the best of the past years by any one, although i can understand the standard mj has set himself.
if you are expecting thriller, maybe turn away and live in the 80s.
if you want something fresh that stands amoung the greatest r&b albums of the new millenium definately purchase the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars HE'S TRUELY INVINCIBLE!!!, 25 May 2003
Ashleigh (Southampton,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
This is an absolute must for any MJ fan, regardless of whether your a die-hard obsessive fan or not. You will not regret it! many are sceptible about the content of the album and many belive it was a 'flop' but remember that it didnt have the promotion it needed....just buy it and you'll be amazed!!! When you're listening to it you WILL think 'wow this could have been a hit-single' to almost every track! Its incredible - BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!! you wont regret it - promise!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Way underrated, 18 July 2003
Yvonne Johnson (East London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invincible (Audio CD)
I see a lot of reviews saying "nothing ground breaking", "didn’t meet expectations" well I don’t know about that because I wasn’t expecting this album, I just heard the song "WHATEVER HAPPENS" on my roommate's C.D player and knew I had to get it. Seems like I wasn’t alone because I used the song "HEAVEN CAN WAIT" for my "favourite song demonstration" in my English class, and the whole class couldn’t believe it, one boy said he didn’t know MJ still sang good songs. Half the class talked about picking up a copy, and if you haven’t you're missing out. Based on my experience this is the best of all Michael Jackson’s albums, and I can’t believe this album didn’t get more hype and attention, it should have, because it is superb! BUY IT!!!

Invincible
Invincible by Michael Jackson (Audio CD - 2001)