Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 October 2001
This is a remix album compiling some versions that have previously been available as b-sides as well as tracks that are exclusive to this disc. Eight of the Nine different titles featured on this (12 track) album, appeared on 'Quiet is the new loud', some of which are almost unrecognisable in their new forms. However, this is not a bad thing by any means. The originals were soothing and amazing in their simplicity, whereas the versions included here are much more layered, containing extra 'noises' in the mix (including the sound "of wind from the top of Sandviksfjellet" on 'i don't knowwhat i can save you from') and many more instruments. The remixers have paid amazing respect to the sound that kings have developed, retaining the delicacy of the songs, while adding depth to the melodies.
I didn't know what to expect when this album dropped through my letterbox. I was concerned it would be sitting on my shelf, next to the brilliant 'Quiet is the new loud', as the runt of the litter, but i was overjoyed to find that it will spend less time on the shelf and more time in my cd player, filling my room with its sheer quality.
on 4 October 2001
So far "Quite is the new loud" is the best CD of 2001. The Norwegian duo that defined the neo-acoustics with their Nick Drake meets Simon and Garfunkel diamond sharp songs managed to sound new and surprising although traveling in a well-established path. You might say this made their achievement even greater.
And now they have taken half of that CD and some other songs and managed to rearrange them and remix them so they would qualify as nu-cool-lounge. The good news: "Versus" is so good and enjoyable it puts you in a big dilemma. Where do Kings of Convenience sound better? Here or there? Acoustic and sad or electronically happy? I say you should own both. These guys really write masterpiece songs.
on 16 March 2002
I'd never heard any of their stuff
until I listened to Amazon's On-line Samples & read the reviews. I was a bit wary of the Simon & Garfunkel comparisons as I'm far from a fan, but when I played the 1st track of this remix album I just sank into a state of utter thought provoking "chill" & played the album back to back twice! The vocals are amazing & very uplifting. This is coming from a fan of Zero 7, Bonobo, Bent, Quantic, & Tim 'Love' Lee. Buy it now!
on 20 February 2015
It was a compilation album & although some of the tracks were ok' it wasn't as good as i had hoped.
on 24 May 2016
Great seller, not so great CD - prefer original versions
on 8 June 2015
PERFECT
on 3 January 2013
A realy good album from an amazing Japanese band. The tracks are heavy and good to dance to! Just a shame its so easerly confused with a Norwegen band.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse