Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 December 2001
One excellent thing about Scandinavian acts is that they're very articulate in their music, and Alcazar are no exception. 'Crying At the Discotheque' is by far the best (and most commercial) track on 'Casino', but that doesn't mean several of the other pickings aren't loaded with hit potential.
My favorites include 'Paradise', 'Stars Come Out At Night' and 'Breaking Free'. Classic pop songs powered by a buzzing disco back drop that provides something of a rare combination that's usually hit-or-miss, and that cover of 'Don't You Want Me' will hopefully push Alcazar into territory previously visited by Ace of Base but not yet graced by the A*Teens. If anything, people should remember their name for the sheer number of times they name-drop themselves!
This is a terrific album and the British charts could use some uplifting beats that don't hail from Ministry of Sound with the promise of never returning and is also not dismissed as being tacky assembly-line pop. Await the Bells of Alcazar!!
on 30 November 2001
After a long absence here is a band and an album that can lift the spirit and move the disco movement firmly into the 21st century. A fusion of Daft Punk, Abba and Army Of Lovers, Alcazar have produced an album worthy of anyone's getting ready to go out CD collection...Fantastic. If you like "Crying at The Discotheque"(which includes possibly the greatest karaoke line this year after Kylie's la la la la's, ...you'll want to order this now...
on 20 November 2001
This is a really good album, full of up tempo dance songs with the odd beatiful ballad. The album is very very dancey- but the songs themselves have such melodic tunes and harmonised vocals as to make the music here instantly accessible. The standout tracks are definitely the seventies -esque "Crying at the Discoteque" and the Britney esque "Shine On". Other highlights include a fairly good cover of "Don't You Want Me" and the somewhat otherworldly "The Tears of A Clone". The lyrical content and the swedish accented vocals make some of the music sound a little alien, but it is compelling nevertheless. A lot of critics have been trying to find the ABBA of the new centruy- I think this might be it!
on 15 December 2001
I happened upon Alcazar quite by accident, and mused upon the catchy tune "Crying at the discotheque". I laughed at the wonderful video which acompanies it, and thought "Hmmm, something about the production reminds me of the wonderful, the exotic, the superb (but sadly no more) Army of Lovers." Joy of joys Alexander Bard (ex -AOL) rides again. If you liked them and miss their tongue-in-cheek songs, then this is for you. Best line from "Crying at the discotheque " is "You wore a tie like Richard Gere". I can't leave this tune alone. Also, "Don't you want me" is VERY acceptable, and coming from a Human League fan that's praise indeed. Gerrit now!
on 24 August 2004
When I first heard Alcazar in 2000 I thought Crying In The Discoteque was ok but nothing else they recored really struck me. It was only when I heard the new single, This Is The World We Live In, from their second European album, Alcazarized that I thought I'd give them a go and buy their debut album. I have listened to it all day, its definatley something to be proud of. I was slightly dissappointed at first coz I thought it wasn't all that good but after a few listens i was hooked! There are some excellent songs on this album even though they managed to get their name into most of the tracks!!!
Probably the worse track on the album track 13 Ritmo Del Amor, not really my kind of thing songs in foreign languages but all the same its quite good if your half asleep.
My fave track has got to be Shine On at the moment, but it changes all the time.
Lets hope their second album is as good as this one!
on 27 February 2002
All the songs are catchy and very dancey. As you would expect of any self-respecting Swedish band. Highlights are Transmetropolis (The "Light Years" of Casino for Kylie fans), Stars Come out At Night and Almost Famous.
on 26 April 2014
alcazar what a great band producing good old fashioned disco classics instead of all the rap music of today which is all the same ive bought all their cds now as i was impressed with this one and they are all excellent dance albums
on 25 July 2002
Foot tapping tunes from Scandinavia. I think Alcazar fill a void left by the real pop bands such as Ace of Base and STEPS. Thats no disrespect to Alcazar concidering how many Albums STEPS sold during their 5 years. Many of the tracks are simply, cheesy pop, and about time..! SO many bands seem to be taking themselves SO seriously that the fun of jumping about waving your arms about on a dance floor seems outdated. But long live pop.
My fave tracks on this album are 'Paris in the rain'& 'Crying at the discoteque' But their version of 'Dont you want me' made me cringe a little bit, and 'Tears of a clone' had me in hysterics. But hey, good luck to them, and no doubt we will be hearing quite a lot from them..:)
on 4 July 2015
Catchy tunes, great songs
on 24 July 2002
Having been working in Sweden for the past 14 months, I have heard the Casino album played a lot. It managed to bring back many memories from my late teens - the style of the music and of course the sampling on Sexual Guarantee (Chic - My Forbidden Lover, in my opinion one of the greatest tracks ever laid down), and Crying at the Discoteque (Sheila B Devotion - Spacer, another classic), only goes to enhance the quality of this album. Some of the tracks are a tad lightweight, but this can be forgiven for the general allover quality. This is indeed feel-good music, ideally suited to playing in the car on a summers day or at a stomping party!