5.0 out of 5 stars Measure carefully
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by hammacott

3.0 out of 5 stars Kidde fire escape Ladder
This product is good but unfortunately on receipt I found that the maximum widow sill witdth is only 11 inches and this is not highlighted in the product descriptiion. My window sills are 15 inches wide so unfortunately the ladder did not fit and I had to return it. Other than that it does appear to be a good and safe product.
Published on 14 Dec 2010 by I. Duncan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Measure carefully, 2 Nov 2010
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Be very careful before ordering this product. The distance between the 'handles' is given, if you look for it. This is the part that straddles the window sill. However window sills are not easy to measure, as you have one side, the window frame in the middle and then the outer sill. It is therefore a question of measuring 'up and over'. It turned out that my sill was a fraction too wide, by only a few centimetres. But that meant that the product did not fit and had to be returned. But, purely on inspection, the product itself appeared to be the 'tool for the job'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kidde fire escape Ladder, 14 Dec 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable with houses with window ledge, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Will not work with windows that have a window ledge (i.e. a lot of houses). Will only work if you have less than a 11 inch gap across window sill to edge of window ledge. No where is this highlighted in the product description. Poor.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind, but only once!, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
We bought this to give us piece of mind. We live in a timber-framed, thatched cottage with the only way out from upstairs via a timber stair and through the living room (with a fireplace). I was a bit disappointed to note it is a 'one use only' ladder (so I wouldn't buy it second hand) because it might have been good to practice getting the ladder out and climbing down it. However, it is compact and easy to store near a window of your choice (e.g. under the bed or in the corner of a cupboard). We're glad we've got one but hope we won't need it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Measure your window sills first!!, 21 Dec 2011
Mamai (Beaverton Or.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
The product is designed to fit window sills of 11inches. This is the distance from under the interior window sill to the underneath of the exterior window sill. I thought we had pretty standard window sill sizes with standard type window frames but the escape ladder didn't fit, so unfortunately it will have to go back. A real shame, I thought it would be great for the job. It certainly seems very easy to use, but it would be useless in my situation and unsafe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing., 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
It doesn't hook on properly. But for the price it's better than nothing. In an emergency we plan to hook it on to something other than the window sill and hope for the best. I'd send it back only the next best one costs more than I want to spend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Absolute rubbish. I living in a modern house with normal cavity walls. I've tried all my windows and this does not fit. I've subsequently found after opening the box it has the maximum measurement, which my walls are 2 inches bigger.

As its now opened, i doubt i could return it, so i have cut 1 inch off each side of the opening so it will just about go over the window sill. Unsafe - probably as the "lips/curled hooks" now do not hook as much, but if faced in a fire situation trapped upstairs i'd give it a go and send the kids out first whilst using my weight to anchor it firmly. Me, well whether it holds or not will be a case of reporting back if the worst happens.

its ridiculous a modern safety device won't fit 99% of new houses with cavity walls.

Don't waste your money, you might as well double up on fire extinguishers/alarms. Disgrace of the manufacturer not to publicly state the size limitations on this site. How many customers which have bought this have just left it in the box, and not tried a dummy run?? I hope they read this and don't 100% rely on this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Unclear re height so had to return as needed one for 3 storeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the instructions are simple and clear and it looks easy to use if we need to use, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
I hope we never have to try using this but the instructions are simple and clear and it looks easy to use if we need to use it

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems study and easy to use, 4 Feb 2014
Mrs Oz (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kidde 468093 Kl-2S Two-Storey Escape Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Obviously hoping never to have to use this fire ladder but it certainly seems study and easy to use and is great for peace of mind at a reasonable price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›