5.0 out of 5 stars Found again!!, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
After losing my copy of my old vinyl LP of this, long have I looked for a good replacement. This cd is worth its weight in gold. Walter has changed to Wendy, but this cd is a newer cleaner but identically mixed version of the original. As a young teenager, it was a fabulous introduction to Bach. Synthesized music I appreciated and understood. Now as an adult and listening to it again, it still takes me on a wonderful journey, being thrilled at the diversity and complexity of the choice of sound and the musical arrangement of John Sebastian himself. Fabulous stuff!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, 6 May 2014
Saffie18 (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
I have Switched on Bach I as an LP and because of the cost of the re-released CD's I resisted purchasing them for quite a long time but in the end, I thought if I want to hear them again I would just have to bite the bullet. In the end I bought Switched on Bach I and II and also The Well-Tempered Synthesiser and they are as good as ever, and to me it is the 'right' way to listen to Bach. I will just try to forget how much they cost!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original?, 10 Jan. 2014
Petri (Solf, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
I remember hearing this back in the '70s at my parents' place and being impressed by the sound. The remastered CD sounds even better than the vinyl from decades ago in my opinion. I can now pick up sounds I wasn't able to hear on my parents' average sound system. I hadn't heard this album in over two decades and I had forgotten how mesmerisingly good for example the Brandenburg Concerto is. An absolute delight, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
I've been listening to the vinyl for 40 years and finally tracked down the cd. It is superb. The clarity, and depth of tone are outstanding bringing the music to life like never before. And the bonus of a commentary from Wendy Carlos herself is much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars This brings back memories - good ones., 24 Feb. 2015
Stephen Griffiths (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
I first purchased the LP in the late 60's. I played it a lot then. Quite a while after I transferred to CDs I disposed of my LPs due to lack of space.
I recently thought how nice it would be to get another copy of "Switched On Bach" and found this slightly expensive import. I am very pleased with the CD and have now purchased "The Well Tempered Synthesizer, which I had also owned in LP.
I won't go into a technical or musical critique of the CD. That has been already done by other reviewers, but just to say that it sounds as good as when I first heard it. Great fun to listen to. I love the music of JS Bach and although some people seem to find this approach to his music a bit irreverent, personally I think it's a great addition to my Bach collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars More switched on than ever. Grab it!, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
This totally astonishes my Reggae-musician son, who was born about the time the original vinyl came out. Modern sub-bass makes the most of the cleaned up sound.
The playing by Walter/Wendy Carlos is true to the score, virtuoso.

4.0 out of 5 stars Switched on Bach, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
Sensational piece of work.
I own this on vinyl which I bought many years ago.
I searched the internet to find a CD copy & I am delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this on vinyl in the 70s, 15 July 2013
G. Smith (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
I believe that had synthesizers been around in the time of J S Bach, he would definitely have used them. But as they were not. This is the next best thing. I bought this on vinyl back in the 70s and loved it. I love this one too but I feel the sounds have been cleaned up a bit. So it's different. Good different? Well that is rather hard to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars A promis fulfilled, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
I promised to treat myself to one or two Walter Carlos Bach LP's many years ago but never did. Now I have my first CD by Wendy Carlos and look forward to a second. Unique music, of its time, an inspiration for future Artists. Quit expensive but woth the money if you love the unique sound and talent of Carlos music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I "found" this again., 16 May 2014
This review is from: Switched-On Bach (Audio CD)
Bought the original 1968 album after being introduced to Carlos' music in A Clockwork Orange and foolishly gave it away when I switched to CDs. BBC Radio 6's recent celebration of electronic music reminded me of the album, which I bought. Its still as fresh as it was over 40 years ago but now I can enjoy anywhere.

Switched-On Bach
Switched-On Bach by Wendy Carlos (Audio CD - 2004)