5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy CD
Published on 22 Mar. 2011 by Mr. Donald S. Clay

2.0 out of 5 stars ... bought it for 'Castles in the Air' and was disappointed by the songs I didn't know
I only bought it for 'Castles in the Air' and was disappointed by the songs I didn't know. Great voice, some dire material.
Published 2 months ago by G. Squires

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy CD, 22 Mar. 2011
Mr. Donald S. Clay "donnybaby" (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
I bought this to replace a very old LP (The Very Best of Don McLean)that I sadly damaged a few years ago. I have to say that this is a super collection of his recordings. The only one of note that is missing is Mountains of Mourne. His interpretation of the Buddy Holly songs are excellent. My favourite tracks being Fools Paradise & his own Castles in the Air. This CD will go into my top selection of favourite albums - albums you play over & over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Don's music, 20 Jan. 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
Don McLean was a singer-songwriter in the folk-pop tradition who first achieved fame in the early seventies, scoring an American number one hit with American pie (a song later covered superbly by Madonna, for whom it became a British number one), a British number one with Vincent (the song about the painter Van Gogh that begins Starry starry night) and an Irish number one with Mountains of Mourne, though that song is not included here. Perry Como had a huge hit with a cover of And I love you so, another classic song that Don wrote. Among the other notable but less well-known songs written by Don and included here are Winterwood and If we try, both covered by Olivia Newton-John in her early recording career.
Don was also a fine interpreter of other people's songs. His second and last British number one hit was with a revival of Roy Orbison's Crying, a song that was only a minor British hit for Roy in the sixties but which, helped by Don's cover, is now regarded as one of Roy's classic hits. This collection also includes Don's cover of One in a row, an obscure Willie Nelson Song that Trisha Yearwood has also recorded.
There are several compilations of Don's music on the market but this is as good as any.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'HIS HITS AND MORE', 31 Oct. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
Singer/Songwriter 'Don Mclean' is probably best remembered for his 'Buddy Holly' tribute song
'American Pie' and of course 'Vincent' surprisingly perhaps 'American Pie' didn't quite capture
the number one slot in 1972 though it did remain in the chart for some sixteen weeks, the
follow up did snatch the top-spot for him with the beautifully crafted song 'Vincent'
His version of 'Roy Orbisons' smash-hit 'Crying' also gave him a number one success in 1980.
These were the three songs that did have an impact on the charts here in the U.K for 'Don
Mclean. though he did have a few lower order hits including 'Castles in The Air' (1982) and
his cover of 'Buddy Holly's' 'Everyday' (1973)
Among some of the other well known songs on board are is versions of 'Love Hurts' 'It Doesn't
Matter Anymore' and 'Elvis's' 'Crying In The Chapel'
All in all a pleasant selection of songs including his very memorable hits from the 70's into the
80's.
'Don Mclean' still performs today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Listening, 10 Dec. 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
I should point out that this is 'The Best of....' and not 'The Very Best of....', consequently there are a couple of tracks not on here that I would have liked to have seen. With a selection of his own songs as well as some cover versions this is a great easy to listen to album and ideal for those who are new to Don McLean, still probably one of America's most famous singer/ songwriters.

Here you have seventeen great tracks, the first two being his most famous and even if you don't know much about McLean you should recognise at least the first track. The production quality here is great, making this a real pleasure to listen to, and perfect to put on your MP3 player to listen to whilst commuting.

If you are into easy listening that is great to put your feet up with, then you can't really go wrong with this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who ate all the pies?, 26 Mar. 2006
John Ault (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
American Pie is a well known and loved clasic. What we do not have here is a collection of similar tracks. Indeed, from the evidence here, you'd have to assume that American Pie was some sort of aberation.
This is not to say that the other tracks are not good, they are just more soulful and spiritual than you might expect.
My very favourite is Castles in the Air, which for me is a more satisfying song than American Pie.
So, why not buy it for what it is - a collection of soulful light rock with american pie too. But don't buy it for what it isn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Poetry, 21 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
Don McLean is the subject of Roberta Flack's heartfelt tribute in the 1973 hit 'Killing Me Softly With His Song'.
McLean is certainly one of the greatest balladeers, coming out with some really superior music, soothing, thoughtful and with poetic lyrics.
This album begins with McLean's most famous hit 'American Pie' (1971) which was inspired by the tragic death of one of McLean's earliest role models and musical influences, Buddy Holly, in 1959.
Later commentators have tried to put other significance to the song, such as claiming it was an anti- Vietnam War protest song, but there is no evidence for such claims, as McLean refuses to comment on such spurious analysis.
At any rate , American Pie is one of my less favourite McLean songs so I don't know why it is his most famous.
It is followed by the sad tribute to Vincent Van Gogh, Vincent (1971).
But these two well known songs where certainly far from the sum total of Don Mc Lean's talent. 'And I Love You So (1970) is McLean's beautiful version of this poignant love song, also done by various other artists.
He also does a great version of Crying (1978), originally the hit of Roy Orbison in 1961.
Castles In The Air (1970) is in my opinion, perhaps McLean's greatest piece, an exquisite song of longing for the beauty and simplicity of the country life away from the shallow 'cocktail generation': "Words cannot express the feel of sunlight in the morning , in the hills away from city strife.I need a country woman for my wife , I'm city born but I love the country life" . The words are poetic and set to fantastic music. I can relate to the song perfectly.
Dreidel (1972), another superb piece, refers to the spinning top played with by Jewish children at the festival of Chanukah, and he compares it's spinning to the spinning of life.
Then there is the musical poetry of Winter Wood (1971) and the feel good love song Everyday (1973).
Mountains o'Mourne (1973) is an Irish ballad of longing and love , and as always McLean does it perfectly
While all the songs on this album are exquisite there are other wonderful songs, which McLean sung, which are unfortunately left off this album such as The Birthday Song (1972) , Wonderful Baby (1974) , Fools Paradise ( 1973) and Respectable ( 1970) .
With only ten songs on this album, there should have been space for some more McLean gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Don Mclean then this is the CD to buy, 7 Mar. 2012
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
All of his best stuff on one CD and for under £4, I don't know how you can go wrong at this price. He sings his own stuff plus some covers with his own interpretation. Vincent is probably a 'Desert Island Disc' choice for me. Some songs go in and out of fashion for me but Vincent has always remained a favourite, even the cover versions by other artists still make me sit up and listen. I don't want to go over what the other reviewers said but to me it is worth the money just for Vincent and American Pie.

4.0 out of 5 stars memories memories, 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
Don McLean was a two trick pony and the two tricks are sufficient to give this a four star rating . The other tracks are pleasant but ultimately forgettable . American Pie is cleverly put together and a fairly accurate reflection of the way we felt when the Grim Reaper came for Buddy and the Big Bopper & Co that morning . It is a song which I tend to admire rather than love . Vincent is another matter . The critics were wrong when they abused it and the people in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam are bang on the button when they play this on the hour every hour . Ten years ago I lost the use of my legs and , once the Hospital had got me back on my feet , had to go back there twice a week for intensive physio . I loved the Patient Transport and the camaraderie with my fellow walking wounded . Chris , our driver , was a rock freak and played with Hospital colleagues in a band - I always hoped they didn't open their set with First Cut Is The Deepest . Music was a constant on Chris' bus . One hot summer morning Chris half turned his head and shouted " All together now " and we all sang together " Starry Starry Nights " as we swung in through the gates of Sunderland Royal Hospital for our treatment .

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Don McLean, 2 Jan. 2011
Michael Braithwaite (Ilkley Yorks UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for "Vincent" but have really enjoyed the whole disc = very easy listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Pie Tastes Better Than Ever, 11 Mar. 2002
This review is from: The Best of Don McLean (Audio CD)
Even if you only buy it for "that song" it is a great choice. Accidently skip past it one day and you'll find a wealth of great tunes!!

The Best of Don McLean
The Best of Don McLean by Don McLean (Audio CD - 2001)