Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 23 May 2007
Elektra's double reissues throw up some high-quality bargains, of which this is a prime example. 'Tim Buckley' seems to have been widely-dismissed, including by the artist himself, yet this attitude is a travesty. Certainly, it is derivative of the so-called folk-rock of the era, all 12-string twiddling and thin love songs, but the melodies are fantastic and so is Buckley's vibrato, reminiscent of Grace Slick's delivery of 'White Rabbit', only with more talent and control. The string flourishes and higher registers bear parallels with Love, though these recordings predate 'Da Capo' and 'Forever Changes'.

'Goodbye And Hello' sees Buckley striving for a weightier, more innovative recording and the result is a more diverse range of styles. Lyrically, it is not wholly impressive. 'No Man Can Find The War' is lost among an ocean of material on the subject, but otherwise Buckley haunts, delights and trips his dazzling way through the album with breathtaking aplomb. The title track is a magnificent, twisting epic; 'Phantasmagoria In Two' features a swooning lyric and descending melody; 'Pleasant Street' likewise; 'I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain' takes you on a 'high' journey.

Buckley's finest work was apparently yet to come. I haven't so far heard it, but if it's better than this it must be incredible.
on 14 May 2013
Despite the primness of his fledgling voice, there is real merit in diving into the first Tim Buckley album from 1966, complete with lovely instrumentation and memorable melodies (tracks 1-10). The atmosphere darkens with 'Goodbye and Hello', released the following year, and novice Buckley listeners might need a lie-down after sampling the lengthy title-track.
And if these two albums whet your whistle, why not strip off and dive head first into Happy Sad from 1968? Once initiated you may even fancy floating far out to sea with the ruddy-hard-to-find Starsailor (1971). Buckley has many tricks up his sleeve, so prepare to be dazzled!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 September 2010
Tim Buckley`s arrival on an already vibrant scene in `66 was a sunburst of vocal and melodic splendour. A nineteen year-old with the face of a god, the charisma of an older man and the voice of a worldly angel, he sounded like nobody else, and record shops must have wondered where to file his eponymous debut - under Folk? Progressive? Rock? The answer to that riddle was/is: Tim Buckley.
From the first notes of I Can`t See You, he claims one`s attention with a muscular, authoritative vocal that gleams from the speakers as if singing itself were being newly minted.
Wings is sheer beauty, an early example of Tim`s way with combining melody & lyric to give the grateful listener something uniquely his own.
Of the other tracks I would highlight Valentine Melody, which is a teenager`s lyric married to music of sensitivity and ardent sweetness; and the brazen crescendos of Aren`t You the Girl, which shows off Tim`s voice and his way with words.

"Aren`t you the girl, who used to call me names?
Aren`t you the girl, who used to play at games?
Weren`t you the one, who used to run and hide?
Now you`re the one who`s crying way inside..."

The whole album is delightful in its slightly arch, gauche way, and I`ve always thought it was by no means the least of his LPs.

Goodbye and Hello is where I depart from the majority - some of whom, to my utter bafflement, consider this his best album!
It has two incredibly lovely songs, indeed classics: Morning Glory and Once I Was, two of Tim`s very best compositions, the former an enigmatic lyric about a hobo who seems to know better than the singer how to behave, the latter - well, words fail me as it is quite simply one of the most beautiful songs I know. These two are worth buying this for, either as a double with `Tim Buckley` or on its own.
I`m afraid the other tracks do little for me. Tim was experimenting, as he never ceased to do, which is laudable, but most of his second LP I find angular, uncharacteristically pretentious and occasionally almost unlistenable. If you knew how much I revere Tim and his music, you`d know how much it pains me to be so honest. I`ve never understood why critics, then & now, rate this as a highpoint in his career. All I can say is, despite two revelatory songs, it is his least effective album.
So, three-and-a-half/four stars for the first, two-and-a-half/three for the follow-up...
This is where one of the most compelling voices in contemporary music began his journey. It got better and better...
on 6 May 2015
Goodbye & Hello is great. don't really like the other album
#1 HALL OF FAMEon 26 August 2001
This is a great value CD, similar to the double Flying Burrito Bros./Gram Pasons cds of a few years ago...It would be a good idea to purchase this edition for the seminal 'Goodbye & Hello'(which everyone should own) and consider the 'Tim Buckley' album extra tracks...The eponymous debut is rather dated & has little of note on it. It's presence is warranted on this budget reissue- and it is nice to see Buckley was far from perfect. Often great artists failed to capture their live sound- such as Buffalo Springfield...The progression to 'Goodbye & Hello' is staggering- the production is a bit OTT-and is close to Love's 'Forever Changes'...'Carnival song' (not the 'Dream Letter' song) is perfect- its minimalism akin to The Doors playing 'Happy/Sad'. The circular song sounds a little like 'Chelsea Girl'/'Marble Index'-Nico (whom Buckley wrote for). All these songs are fantastic-the title track, 'Once I was' & 'Pleasant Street' standing out...This would be the ideal introduction to Buckley- especially as it ends on the transcendental wonder of 'Morning Glory' (which was covered by This Mortal Coil,who introduced me to Buckley,Big Star etc)- which is moving towards the sound of the awesome 'Happy/Sad'...'TB' is forgettable, while 'G & H' is on a par with 'Blue Afternoon', 'Lorca' & 'Look at that Fool'. It is nowhere near his masterpiece's 'Happy/Sad', 'Star Sailor' & 'Greetings from LA'...And personally, I prefer the 'Dream Letter-Live in London 1968' versions of the tracks here (the acoustic 'Pleasant Street'/'You keep me Hangin On'& 'Once I was' more open-bare-exposed...) This might be due to the fact I heard, and fell in love, with those versions first...So, bring on the Buckley reissues- and can we please have a re-release for 'Star Sailor'? And if you find the masters for that, have a look around for 'Time Fades Away' & 'On the Beach' by Neil Young- as my vinyls a bit worn!!!
on 13 February 2007
No much to say except that it is really poetic with storng lyrics, wonderful music and magical voice. I highly recommend it to all music fans.
on 18 April 2010
One day I have Tim in my heart; One day I miss a brother. A tearful and smiling soul.