5.0 out of 5 stars Newsies Disney
An fantastic film with a terrific performance from Christian Bale in his early years (also known for American Psycho). The film is ideal for the whole family and is filled with catchy songs. All in all it is a classic disney film which is worth watching over and over. This is a five star film.
Published on 16 Jan 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Why oh why is it not available for European viewers??
The movie and the music are great!
But why is no version released that can be played on European BluRay / DVD-Players?? So only one star for that.
Published 12 months ago by serge_turtle

5.0 out of 5 stars Newsies Disney, 16 Jan 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Family feel good film, A must to watch!, 20 Dec 2004
This review is from: Newsies (DVD)
What can I say; Newsies is simply my favourite film. I have always like Christian Bale, and saw an advert for The News Boys as it is known in England at the front of another film, I did not realize at the time that this film was in fact, a musical along the lines of the good old fashioned Hollywood musicals ala Gene Kelly. This film simply lifts your spirits. The cast is charismatic and Bale is a revelation. He could, with a little work make another career on the musical stage if films ever pall for him. Robert Duvall hams it wonderfully, and the fact that Bill Pullman prior to becoming a household name, can sing is another great thing about this film. I'm sure even kids would love and grannies will remember the great MGM musicals of the past. I found out that this film was originally released at the same time as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and obviously suffered by lack of theatre space but what a little gem it is when I was lucky enough to find it.
Watch it and have a great time. It's a fantastic family film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated musical, 21 May 2006
Robert Anderson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Newsies [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
The first time I watched this movie, I immediately fell in love with it. Having been a long time fan of the work of Alan Menken's music, I expected great things from this musical. I wasn't disappointed. The music has the energy that is so reminiscent of Menken's earlier works with Disney ('Little Mermaid', 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'Aladdin'). While Jack Feldman is no Howard Ashman when it comes to lyrics, he does manage to hold his own. The stand out song for me was 'Seize the Day'. The only two songs that in my mind slow the musical down are the ones performed by Ann-Margret.

With live action, it is sometimes hard to choreograph the dance sequences to match the energetic music. Yet Kenny Ortega and Peggy Holmes manage to do just that. The dance routines are a visual feast, very infectious. They manage to capture the right spirit whether there is just one person doing the dance (as in 'Santa Fe') or if there is a huge group ('Seize the Day').

This movie made me notice Christian Bale as an actor for the first time. I found his performance in this film to be winning and earnest. I then saw him in 'Swing Kids' (another movie I would recommend) and it cemented in my mind that someday he would become a very recognised and accomplished actor.

David Moscow (the boy in 'Big') also delivers a fine performance. This is a movie about the boys and it really needed some strong and believable performances from them. I would have a hard time coming up with two other actors who could have given better performances than Christian Bale and David Moscow.

Outside of Bill Pullman, the adult actors were a bit of a letdown. Both Robert Duvall's character and Ann-Margret's were little more than caricatures. Bill Pullman, a seriously under-rated actor, makes a good effort with the material he's given to work with. Unfortunately, the script only allows him to be slightly less wooden than that of an oak dining table.

With most musicals, the plot is little more than a vehicle to segue between songs and the songs themselves tend to slow the story line. With Newsies, the plot is an integral part of the movie and the songs manage to carry the plot forward. This is a talent that Alan Menken has proven he has time and time again when writing his songs.

In conclusion, if you're a fan of musicals, I would highly recommend viewing this one. It does get a bit cheesy and corny at times, but then this is a Disney movie afterall. You have to expect some food adjectives when watching their movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Newsies [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Absolutely looooove this movie, but unfortunately it isn't available to us Europeans to enjoy!!
Really wish Walt Disney Home Entertainment would consider releasing it to other parts of the world besides the US... Can Amazon.co.uk assist us in this?

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece in it's on way!!, 17 Oct 2008
Anja Schmidt (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Newsies [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Well really... I don't know how else to define this movie, except maybe that it's a really wonderful and precious masterpiece!!! Everything about this movie, with very few very small slips, is just poifect!! The story is really great and, unlike musicals as HSM, it's really meaningful! Boys going against the powerful, you've gotta love it!! Some think that it might have been better if it wasn't a muscial, and maybe it would have been really good too, buuut it would not have been the same wonderful movie!! The dancing and the singin' is just awesome!! So full of spirit!! Great lyric, great music and great voices!! So originally! And I gotta say it; Christian Bale is an absolutely stunning singer AND dancer (Santa Fe is just heartmeltingly beautiful!!) He's poifect as the cunning, tough, and dreamy Jack Kelly!! Besides what is there not to love about a Disney movie where young guys/boys smoke, soak every sucker that they can and the girl get's a very, well, WOW kiss - very unlike Dinsney ;) It's certaintly Disneys best feature movie, if you ask me. I wouldn't compare it with the animated disneys flicks, 'cause I just don't think cartons and feature films should be compared. Last, I just wanna say that Newsis is a golden movie and a timeless classic cult flick!! Watch it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why oh why is it not available for European viewers??, 1 April 2013
The movie and the music are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Newsies, 14 Oct 2013
US import DVD works without any problems on our blu ray player. Very entertaining old school Disney musical with Christian Bale singing and dancing. Perfect movie for a rainy Sunday afternoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Newsies BluRay, 11 Oct 2013
The stage show of this film will be opening in the West End in the spring which may make Disney bring out a Region 2 edition.
I find this film very enjoyable and the BluRay will play on a Region 2 player as most BluRay films are all region. The only thing you will not be able to do is watch the extras as they are region 1 only. I know this for a fact as I just received my copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: Newsies [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Came well packaged, the film itself I was singing along to (sad I know) but loved this film from years back and still thoroughly enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like I remember it, 16 April 2013
Mrs (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Newsies [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I saw this movie when I was about 12 and loved it then and it is just as good now.

ARRAY(0xa30c40cc)