on 17 May 2002
I hope that the 38 people who apparently found the above review helpful weren't also under the illusion that this IS a St Germain/Ludovic Navarre album.
Far from it. Check the tracklisting and you will see a very high quality (and relatively cheap)collection of European nu-jazz gems.
Highlights have to be the Jazzanova "Coffee Talk" remix (only available on a "reworks from Japan 12"), the silky smooth vocals of Taxi's "Yes it's true", and De Phazz's cheeky sample-fest "Godsdog", which leads perfectly into the summery latin d&b of Megashira "At last".
Then there's the Rubin Steiner track, "Lo-Fi Nu Jazz, with some fantastic stop-start percussion to keep things funky. Ian Simmonds "Theme to the last Puma" surprised me too, having found his dire synth playing on "Return to X" too much for my head.
In fact, the only dissappointing track I found was, funnily enough, the ONLY St Germain song on the album. You know exactly where it's going from the first few notes and it then it goes on, and on...Same can be said too of Bugge Wesseltoft's G.U.B.N.U.F which sounds like it should have been released when acid jazz had just been invented.
But 2 out of 15 ain't bad!
The spine of the sleeve states that this is the "finest electro-jazz compilation". Not quite in my opinion, but not far off. I'd certainly recommend any of the Future Sound of Jazz comps on Compost, Da lata, Jazzanova's "In Between" if this kind of stuff gets your toes tapping.
Buy it and enjoy!
on 8 January 2004
Hidden in amongst the recent avalanche of "chill out" and "jazz café" albums - many of which should be filed under "distinctly boring" - is this French release put together by Olivier Delachanal & Fabien Barrau. Bravely sub-titled as "the finest electro-jazz compilation" it is in fact pretty close to what it claims: virtually all of the selections are first rate, most are difficult to get hold of and - here's the trick that so many compiler's miss - the whole set fits together as a seamless whole. Exhibiting on the way through more than enough real treats to show exactly what modern electro-jazz can deliver, it just rolls along leaving you itching to hit the replay button. Re-file under "addictively good".
on 27 June 2002
I bought this on the assumption that it was Saint Germain, but as pointed out elsewhere it is not. However it does give a good feel for where SG is coming from even if its nothing to do with him.
Not being a serious jazz fan my faves differ from others, so for me Bugge Wesseltoft's G.U.B.N.U.F is a stand-out track and there are several other excellents present.
I agree that the (for real) Saint Germain track (to which I would add the Terry Callier piece) seem out of place.
Saint Germain live is currently one of the most blistering sets around, this cd gives us an idea of how such things come to be. Highly recommended jazz for non jazz purists.
on 19 June 2015
What To Expect From The Best Nu-Jazz and Bossa Music. Great concept and designs with the cd's and amazing energetic tempo driven percussion and basslines. Well put together tracks aswell, as not everything needs the kind mixing you expect from house music, this is more blending the best grooves in a stylish elegant way. I have 1,2 and 3 of these so far and none have disappointed me. If you are new to NU jazz Nu Bossa and these kinds of sounds I say buy all the first 3 and look at artists such as, De Phazz, Les Gammas ECCO CHAMBER Vol1-2, Jazzanova, AT:Jazz, 4 Hero, Mo Horizons, Hefner, Truby Trio, Jimpster and others which you will find by searching for these. This is probably the best out of the ones I own but they are all great.
on 17 August 2014
I had read the many different reviews of this series I originally bought by accident vol 10 when it came out and played it liked it then forgot about it, not uncommon with me. I've been collecting music for along time and always looking for something new but recently started playing it again and I got right into it. I have been buying others in the series all are excellent. I'm not too picky like some other reviewers of course any album can have its highs and lows but as I have found out from experience what you didn't like then you may like later, all the series so far have delivered this album is excellent the first of the series. I will try to get the rest of the series.
on 29 October 2001
Café, is proof that Ludovic Navarre, aka St Germain, continue to be one the very best and original French music producers. I am, unfortunately, an aging blues & jazz fan who has found in St Germain a new lease of life. St Germain's version of Jazz is so original it deserves its own category - electro-jazz. I have lived in France for over two years, and to be honest, there is almost no other French music I particularly like. St Germain is the exception. Café is similar to previous work but more laid-back. Café is more jazzzzy than Tourist or Boulevard and even has singing! It is almost impossible to listen to St Germain without dancing. At their concert in The Opera House at the Cork Jazz Festival on the 28th of October 2001 the seats were removed for the first time. The organisers obviously knew an audience couldn't sit still at a St Germain concert! Keep it up Ludovic. The only problem is I now have to buy all the other CD's he's produced. PS Try Café with a little Cognac...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse