5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Published on 29 July 2003 by chris-spriet

2.0 out of 5 stars Scholl in bad company
Listening to Scholl's new CD was an rather unexpected experience.And not a pleasant one.
Scholl sings these wonderful folksongs in a very uninspired way.
I really had expected to be lured -or at least drawn- into stories and music. Something he succeeded to do infalliably in all of his earlier recordings.
This did not happen at all!
Those...
Published on 1 Dec 2001 by Amazon Kunde

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty is a joy forever, 29 July 2003
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
Bold words, this title, and we're fully aware of it. Though countertenor Andreas Scholl is better-known for his acclaimed rendering of pure classic (and, hence, does take risks at singing some classics in the British folk repertoire), his achievement on this cd remains largely flawless. To be true, other reviewers have dotted i's and crossed t's about Scholl's pronunciation, but to me, they just add a little spice to the traditional school in British singing. The selection of songs has been most carefully made and will not cease to strike you by its difference to the renderings you have so far been used to. The cd-box and musical notes are a gem.
My personal favourites are Wayfaring Stranger and the sublimely moving Salley Gardens. Will easily capture your ears and imagaination.

5.0 out of 5 stars flawless, 31 Oct 2005
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
as a singer myself, other singers rarely have me on the edge of my seat; but having heard andreas scholl at the proms, i had to buy some of his CDs immediately to experience more of the same.
this recording raises the hairs on one's neck with the purity & warmth of the vocal instrument; the meticulous and yet unmannered phrasing and the deceptive simplicity of delivery.
the pronounciation - well, yes. it's certainly idiosyncratic; but to me it's all part of the charm of this performance.
andreas scholl (for me) has more control and colour than any other counter tenor that i've ever heard. i would recommend to anyone and everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, 6 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
I had never heard of 'countertenors' until 2 weeks ago. It was a wonderful discovery - this is a beautiful type of voice. Andreas Scholl is magnicent; his voice sounds almost medieval and pure, and the tunes he sings here are at once familiar and delightful, and intriguingly different. The songs are well-loved folk songs arranged in a sympathetic way. Scholl has a clear mastery over what he is doing and the result is deeply satifying and moving. The accompanying musicians likewise are just wonderful. It all seems so ethereal and... right. I'm a convert and recommend this to people who like classy, intelligent music. My parents are getting copies for Christmas as are friends my age (28) - I am convinced they will all be won over the beauty of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a hauntingly beautiful album of great charm, 10 Jun 2002
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
Listening to this CD is one of the most relaxing hours you could ever spend. Scholl sings with incredible purity and clarity - and it sounds so effortless. There is a haunting quality to his vocals that is both astonishing and utterly beautiful.It is clear that he cares passionately about all the songs on the album, and unlike so many classical performers you can hear every single word; it is a credit to his immense talent that you have to keep reminding yourself that English is not his mother tongue. This is an album I shall definitely listen to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful haunting album, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
Andreas scholl really excels here and his pure alto copes with this selection of folk songs beautifully. Not a bad track on the album, which is magical in atmosphere and quality of sound. Highly recommended and a good place to start if you are trying out the male countertenor voice for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated beauty, 16 Mar 2013
This singing is new to me, having heard Andreas on the radio - this cd is beautiful sophistication. Just love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant couter-tenor, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
I've only come across Andreas Scholl recently, but the quality of his voice is superb, and this recording does him full justice. He's one of the best counter tenors in the world. I would recommend this disc to any lover of the classically-trained solo voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
This CD is worth buying for the track "Annie Laurie" alone. This is the song which introduced me to Andreas Scholl for the first time - I was entranced, completely blown away. His voice has such a lovely tone, such clarity and power, and he sings with sincerity and feeling. The effect is captivating. Other tracks I would pick out as being particularly beautiful are "I will give my love an apple" and "She moved through the fair". I went on to buy other CDs by Scholl and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed music more.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like hearing them properly for the first time, 7 Jun 2010
T. Mason (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
Time to weigh in to the debate over this CD, which seems to have polarised opinion, and I'm casting my vote at the 5* end of the spectrum. I've listened to these songs repeatedly over the past few months and the more I listen to them, the more struck I am by Andreas Scholl's customary discernment... on first hearing, I often thought "too slow" (we Welsh tend to get a move on) but, after a while, I realise he was quite right. The only exception is Blow the Wind Southerly, which he takes on the faster side and it sounds wonderful - all thoughts of Kathleen Ferrier dissolving, never to return. It could have done with the proper second verse though.

I have nothing against bringing these folk songs up to date with modern backing, but it is true that they are a little over-orchestrated at times; undoubtedly they work best when Andreas Scholl does most of the work. There is a great selection of songs, mostly on the plaintive side, which suits his voice well, though sometimes I wish the poor man could get to sing some rather more cheerful stuff more often - have a listen to him singing the German drinking song "Der Rheinsche Wein" on Deutsche Barocklieder, it's absolutely fantastic!

I've grown up with most of these folk songs and I've never heard them sung better.... there are loads more awaiting him and I hope that he gets round to recording another folk song CD (with some Welsh ones next time, please).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Effort, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs (Audio CD)
In this collection Scholl delivers great English tunes with a pure flawless tone.
The orchestration is lush but still a real treat.
The standout tracks are the title track, 'Salley Gardens", "My love is like a red, red, rose" and "Black is the colour".
Definitely worth the investment!

Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs
Wayfaring Stranger: Folksongs by Andreas Scholl (Audio CD - 2011)