4.0 out of 5 stars A BLACK MUSIC ESSENTIAL
Published on 19 Nov 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!!!
CD took for what seemed ages to arrive, when it did the casing was grubby, and only ONE disc out of a two disc CD was enclosed. Product obviously not checked prior to dispatch!!!
Published on 18 May 2012 by SJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A BLACK MUSIC ESSENTIAL, 19 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
Ignore those that find 'Miss' Ross an easy target for criticism. On a purely musical level she has set standards for others for decades. This collection is not half-bad. A couple of fillers that could have been replaced with other Ross classics, but actually this gives quite a fair picture of her vocal capabilities and also, interestingly, how her voice has improved with age. Definitely recommended, it will outlast 'J-Lo's latest offering!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss still rules!, 22 Oct 2001
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
The Boss is back! And despite the fact that this is her upteemth greatest hits package, this is the most complete yet. I would certainly recommend any Diana Ross fans (and non-Diana Ross fans for that matter) to buy this, especially those who bought her last greeatest hits album ('One Woman'). For the first time ever, almost every Diana Ross hit is there - from the early Supremes favourite to the exellent new single 'Goin' Back'. The only hit that isn't there is her version of 'I will survuve', but then again, with so many decent songs, spanning 5 decades, one can't really complain. CD1 contains her more dancey tracks-from the Supremes Motown classics to her 1999 hit 'Not over you yet' (not her best effort). As usual, 'Upside Down' and 'I'm coming out' are there. However, there are also some singles from her Eaten Alive album from the 1980s which hadn't been availble previously on a greatest hits album. My favourite however, has to be the very underrated opener 'Chain Reaction' , produced by the Bee Gees. Over on CD2 (the ballads), 'Theme from Mohogany' still sounds as fresh as ever. And a personal favourite of mine, 'Remember Me' from her early days as a solo artist, is also there. Her duets with Lionel Richie and Marvyn Gaye are also included for the first time together on one CD. All in all, this is a fine compilation album which is very good value for money. OK there are some dodgy tracks (like 'Work that body' or 'Muscles' - even the names make you cringe), but if you are new to her music, then this is the ONE album you should buy. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diana Ross: The Ultimate Collection, 15 Nov 2001
Todd J. Brandt (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
Not as truncated as the single disc "One Woman," and not as spotty as the box set "Forever, Diana," this is by far the best representation of Diana Ross' remarkable career.
It's all here: from her first #1 hit as the supreme Supreme ("Where Did Our Love Go") to her solo classics ("Ain't No Mountain High Enough"); detours through boogie wonderland ("Love Hangover") and early 80's aerobics classes ("Work that Body"); her biggest successes ("Chain Reaction") and her poignant reflections on a 40-year-plus catalog ("Goin' Back").
That nearly every track is not only immediately recognisable, but also very solid musically and lyrically, is a testament to Ross' durability and her taste. The glistening balladry of "If We Hold on Together" and the chunky hip-hop beats of "Workin' Overtime" have little in common, but Ross handles both with finesse and elan.
The one false note is struck by the poor packaging. Certainly, a legend of Diana Ross' calibre deserves better than a cheaply-designed and -printed booklet. Diana Ross is as famous for her image as she is for her music, and products bearing her name should reflect this.
All quibbling aside, this is the perfect gift for a new fan, or someone curious to see where Whitney, Mariah, Janet, J-Lo and all the rest evolved from. And for the longtime fan, Ross' stunning version of the Carole King/Gerry Goffin-penned "Goin' Back" is well worth the ticket price. An instant classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Did I Know..., 8 Oct 2011
djessie (Reykjavik, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
I have been a casual fan of Miss Ross for as long as I remember (since the early 80s). Casual only because I hadnt heard half of the tracks on this CD. My boyfriend, who knew I liked her, decided to buy it as an extra with my christmas gift last year. I was completely blown away - I love every single song on this CD, and I cant believe that I had never heard tracks like "I'm Still Waiting", The Best Years Of My Life", "Touch Me In The Morning" and "Good Morning Heartache".

After I got this CD I finally understand just how talented Miss Ross is and why she is such a legend. The way she delivers songs is completely unique, she has tried on many different musical styles and her sheer body of work is amazing - despite often being overlooked. I have been playing it constantly and my boyfriend has now become a big fan as well ;)

Since I got this CD, I have purchased over 100(!) more Diana Ross CDs - every album, single, promo and compilation I have gotten my hands on, as well as books and DVD's. I never expected becoming such a big fan, but this CD did it for me. If you like it, then let me assure you that you will most likely enjoy her albums as well - she is far more then just a single artist!

Other good compilations (if you can find them) that I bought to get an even better feel for her music before I started to buy her complete catalog are the 2001 Motown Anthology (USA) and the excellent, but long out of print 2 CD set Anthology from 1986. There is a new double CD coming out next month, but there has been no tracklist made available yet. I will of course buy it for my collection, but I doubt it will surpass this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss Returns!Again!, 21 Nov 2001
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
I personally love these repackaged cds from the one,the only Diana Ross-a legend in her very own time.I will continue to do so for as long as Motown/EMI will give it to us.You know there are alot of remixed,extended versions,etc.etc. and let me tell you "No one gets the prize" is awesome and reminds you how fabulous our Motown glitter Queen really is and how shell never go away.Any music lover that likes soul and pop will love Dianas cd!Its plain fun!Uh!Shes fabulous!FTF.

5.0 out of 5 stars "COOL", 14 Nov 2001
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
This is yes another reissue but has a new single and the cd booklet is loveley with some pretty pictures and a personal message from Diana.So you know she really put some of her magic in this cd.Its great memories to rehash and a collective item for any MotownRoss/Supreme person.FTF-Sally.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection some motown classics!, 25 Feb 2009
S. Baskerville (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
This is a great collection of motown classics, and with two CD's you have a choice on mood. CD 1 is "Life" and full of bounce and up beat songs. With CD2 the "LOVE" with some of the great songs which the one and only Diana Ross can make her own.

I do relax to CD 2 more often than CD1 but I do not know why I waited so long to purchase this album. I do like the style of Diana Ross and I would reccommend it to anyone who enjoys the motown sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST IS BACK!, 5 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
Easily one of the most under-rated (yes, I said under-rated) artistes in the world. Don't dismiss Diana Ross as the queen of schmaltz or cabaret. This woman can 'SANG'!!! There is a great variety in this collection, which is better by far than most of the re-issues of recent years. Diana Ross preceded Whitney, Mariah and any one of a hundred so-called Divas. This shows why!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross (Audio CD)
Really wonderful cd!! I encourage sellers to make a cd + dvd with Diana Ross official videos!! It would be great!! And I'm sure a lot of fans will buy it all over the world!! She and fans deserve that!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 26 Nov 2013
Best hits on one album,don't have to troll through loads to pick out the good ones they are all together.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross
Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross by Diana Ross (Audio CD - 2001)