5.0 out of 5 stars hear it to believe it
Published on 26 Feb 2002 by fuzi_utd@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected
An all-round easy-to-listen-to album, but no hidden surprises. Best track being I.O.U. - which she performed live on Parkinson - her live performance just as good as the recorded version. The usual techno-funky type of music - good as background noise, but nothing fantastic nor memorable.
Published on 29 Oct 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars hear it to believe it, 26 Feb 2002
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
I had heard that I would be suprised by the album. I think that the word is amazed. This is the best solo spice album and the least acknowledged in my eyes (and ears). Track number four "Like That" has been on repeat on my stereo for hours!! THe album shows us that Victoria has not only style in the way she dresses but the way she sings. She keeps the pop that we have come to hear and love from her in the Spice girls but there is also the R&B feel to the album. I love this album and I think that anyone who has ever doubted this Spice with "no talent" should listen to this and be corrected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 4 Feb 2002
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
While Victoria's first solo effort may not have been strong enough to silence the critics, it at least should have shut them up for a bit. I was never a Spice Girls fan, but despite that and all the pre-release cynicism surrounding Posh and the album, I bought it anyway. Victoria may not have the voice of a Mariah Carey or the songwriting ability of an Alicia Keys, but she gives it her all and the result is a respectable solo debut. Critically-speaking, the songs are a little formulaic and slightly unspectacular, but they fit nicely together and make the album a cohesive whole. Although I doubt that any of the tunes will make it to number 1 (as "Not Such An Innocent Girl" already failed to do), a few of them are pretty catchy. Her next single, "A Mind Of Its Own" unarguably should have been the first release: it's more sophisticated than "Not Such An Innocent Girl." In "No Trix, No Games," (my personal favorite) she sings, "Gonna strip away my makeup what you get is what you see / No trix, no games, just me"-a punchy track that recalls her "Girl Power!" days. "Watcha Talkin' Bout," "Girlfriend," and "Like That" are upbeat and quite good (although I did think all of the tracks were pretty decent); "I.O.U," which she dedicates to her husband David, is more effective and original as a love ballad than the cliché-ridden "Unconditional Love"; "Every Part of Me," which she dedicates to her 3-year-old son, is somewhat mediocre but rescued by the sounds of young Brooklyn Beckham talking (well, more like crying) in the background. The album's biggest surprise is Victoria's voice: although great production undoubtedly had a hand in it, she sounds great. She scores especially high by Spice Girl standards, definitely not as talented as Mel C but stronger than Mel B, the perennially popular Geri and even musically successful Emma. She may not have an 8-octave range but her voice is pretty and polished.
Victoria has recently acknowledged that the negative press surrounding when the album was released said nothing about the actual music. That's unfortunate, because this album is a good listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent solo album from victoria, 23 Feb 2002
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
I am very, very surprised, after the rubbish reviews i wasn't expecting much, but the album is surprisingly good. It takes a good few listens to really appreciate the album, but when you have, you wont take it out your cd player. Standout tracks being "IOU","Like that" and "No trix no games". Weak points being "Girlfriend" and "every part of me". Vics vocals are constantly suited to this sort of music, but she can fail to really do justice to the big ballads. Although she hasn't got instant recognition with her first two singles, i think the follow ups will make a new audience go and buy the album, not like Emma Bunton who had a couple of great songs and then a album full of fillers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 29 Oct 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars One Great Surprise!, 14 Mar 2002
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
I was not a fan of Victoria Adams back then, but I gave her CD a try after watching the "Not Such
An Innocent Girl" video, one of my all-time favorites... W, O, W... What a beautiful surprise! Not only has Victoria obviously gained confidence on the vocal part, she has also discovered herself as a very sensitive person throughout this album, much more simple, a little less posh, a little more heartfelt...
This album was inspiration to me, and I listen to it very often without skipping any tracks!
There are a few songs I like a little less, and that probably even her biggest fans won't like as much as her single hits, and these are her slower songs, tracks #3, #11 and #12. However, the album
would not be complete without them, and it is a shock to hear Victoria express so much vulnerability, after what we have seen from her with the Spice Girls.
The songs that are really, really good are "Midnight Fantasy", "Like That" and "No Trix, No Games", catchy RnB tunes that could really hit the big time, along with orchestral ballad "I.O.U.", that will bring tears to your eyes.
Afetr hearing that surprisingly well-done and complete album, I am anticipating Victoria's next single with a lot of excitement...

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 10 Nov 2008
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
Now let's get this straight-I know Mrs Beckham hasn't got a very good voice, but at the same time she was given the opportunity to make an album and she loves singing, so why should she be criticised for that-and let's face it it did make the top ten in the UK albums chart, which is an impressive achievement. I listened to the album without (much) prejudice and was impressed by the pleasant, easy-listening pop I discovered:

1.Not Such An Innocent Girl-A great first single, definitely the catchiest song here. 8/10
2.Mind Of It's Own-I love the way Victoria talks her way through this song. 8/10
3.That Kind Of Girl-The first slightly weaker track, having said that its pleasant enough. 6/10
4.Like That-This has really grown on me-fantastic pop tune. 8/10
5.Girlfriend-Nice to hear an R&B feel here. 6/10
6.Midnight Fantasy-A really decent song (I love it!) 8/10
7.I.O.U-For me this is the best track here, beautiful ballad and proves that a big voice is not necessary for a ballad. 10/10
8.No Trix, No Games-Average, but pleasant pop. 7/10
9.I Wish-Forgettable track. 5/10
10.Watcha Talkin' Bout-R&B average. 5/10
11.Unconditional Love-A decent enough track, loving the vocoder here. 7/10
12.Every Part Of Me-Another good ballad. 7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! A feel of R'n'B!, 1 Nov 2001
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
...Personal,upbeat and with an R'n'B & pop feel I thought it was brilliant! She has also included a personal song called IOU which my guess is about David. That song is slowed down along with a few others. Trix & Games is a must listen to track as it is upbeat & definately some of her best work! Don't believe the critics. Judge for yourself....Its definately a must!!!...

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I Gave Posh A Chance!, 6 Jun 2002
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
This album was one of 4 I bought (others including Kylie and Geri) .The others were average to good, but i've been listening to this non stop! The strange thing is, I was expecting this to be the worst album aswell. Far from it!
1. Not Such An Innocent Girl - Not the best song by a long shot, I can see why it was released as a single though, because its so poppy and commercial. Catchy, but nothing special 7/10
2. A Mind Of Its Own - This is a fair bit better! You'll be humming along to this in your sleep 8/10
3. That Kind Of Girl - A laid back r'n'b type of song. People are making it out to be awful but its really not. Ok, so its probably the worst song but its still quite good! 7/10
4. Like That - This is extra wicked! When I first heard it I wasn't so sure but its really grown on me. An upbeat r'n'b choon with alot of class 9/10
5. Girlfriend - Another one of my favourites, and yet, another grower. Carrying on with the r'n'b *attitude* theme here, hehe 8/10
6. Midnight Fantasy - I LOVE this song, its quite poppy yet quite sophisticated. It was my favourite from the start 10/10
7. I.O.U. - The first ballad, and a very good one at that. Im usually tempted to skip ballads, but unless I want to dance, I never skip this! Its really good - 8/10
8. No Trix, No Games - Back onto the JLo style music here, but much better! This is one of the albums highlights 9/10
9. I Wish - This is one of my personal favourites. Its sweet yet suave. A bit more laid back r'n'b 10/10
10. Watcha Talkin' Bout - It reminds me of a certain Ms Halliwell and I've reason to beleive perhaps its who its 'dedicated' to! :-) 8/10
11. Unconditional Love - Brilliant! The 2nd ballad of the album, and probably the best 9/10
12. Every Part Of Me - I love this song though it dosnt seem to go down to well, and I dont see how its cheesy! Apart from perhaps the 'from your head to your toes' part and Brooklyns parts, but its cute! A good song to end on 8/10
This album is everything I hoped for and alot more. To be honest, I didnt expect it to be so amazing! Now I am a huge fan of Victoria and I cant wait for her next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Spice Girl solo project yet, 6 Oct 2001
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
So much for being the "least talented" Spice girl.There gonna have to give that title to someone else. I was very surprised when i heard the album for the first time.VICTORIA BECKHAM CAN SING! I'm sure this album will be compared to the "Pop Princesses" of America. IMO thats not a bad thing.it has a American feel to it. i predict that "a mind of its own","girlfriend" and"Midnight Fantasy" will be the singles from this album.Its a shame that virgin decided to "play it safe"by only release it in the UK. This is a good album and could compete with any American artist right now. this album can stand on its own.Hopefully Virgin will release it in the US.I hope the critics are hungry,they will be eating lots of crow for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Unbelievable, 2 Jun 2006
M. Turner "Big Ticken" (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
I didn't actually get hold of this album until about 3 months ago, but OH MY GOD!!!! What a fanatastic album. Having an extremely eclectic music taste, and thinking 'Posh Spice' was just a marketing puppet. I, frankly, didn't use to be a fan, BUT after listening to this shamefully overlooked masterpiece, I definately am now.

Even though I like the 2 singles Victoria released from the album, I have to say they are actually a 'tad' on the weak side when compared with the rest of the songs. For example 'I Wish' 'Like That' 'Girlfriend' are just fanatastic, so is 'IOU' (and thats coming from somone who doesn't really like ballads).

Victoria Beckham
Victoria Beckham by Victoria Beckham (Audio CD - 2001)