4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful animation, 28 Sept. 2008
P. Pieters (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Humperdinck - Hansel and Gretel: An Opera Fantasy [1954] [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Hansel and Gretel, a fairytail by the Grimm brothers, is transferred to opera by Engelbert Humperdinck. In this version the fairytail is back. Beautiful animation, frame by frame, created with the limited techniques available between 1939 and 1954. The result is magic.
The opera is shortened a bit, which makes the story more suited for children.
My favorite character is Rosina, the witch, performed by Anna Russell.
Yes, it is a pitty that the film hasn't survived in a better condition. If a good restauration is done, I certainly want to have it. But as long that isn't done, this one is worth having.
Five stars for the original version, minus one star for the condition of the present copy.
V.I.E.W., please find a better mastercopy and bring it out again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Christmas memories, 11 Mar. 2013
Mrs. D. R. Forsyth (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the Hansel and Gretel DVD as I loved the story as a child and each Christmas I remember watching this version on TV. Even though it was in black and white back then! I have hoped this would be shown on TV again but it must be over 40 years since I've seen it. I read on the reviews this DVD version is not as good copy as the video and I noticed on my blu-ray player the sound was scratchy and picture was grainy, but on my DVD player the picture and sound were better. I was impressed that I could play a NTSC disc on my player as my DVD is for european region only. Would be great if the production was digitally enhanced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted to own this classic once more, 26 Mar. 2015
My son's favourite from when he was tiny, lost when our 'recorded off the telly' version became unplayable due to the march of progress! He was delighted (even though he is not so tiny any more) to have this DVD and to be able to share it all over again. Unbelievable to think it was made in the Fifties - a classic must-see.

5.0 out of 5 stars hansel and gretel an opera fantasy, 4 July 2013
,Normally i hate anything that is opera,but i have to admit that this video is absolutely brilliant and my children love it

5.0 out of 5 stars ill be back, 28 April 2015