4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but still some way to go
Now I've got it sorted I am an XP fan, through and through, and it knocks spots off the previous offerings.
Published on 28 Jan 2002 by BILL GRAHAM

3.0 out of 5 stars It Depends on what you do with your computer
Published on 29 Nov 2002 by G Payne

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but still some way to go, 28 Jan 2002
BILL GRAHAM (Rural Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
But it was a long hard road. The box should have a Government Health Warning in BIG letters - "many if not most of your existing hardware and software items won't work first time with this product - see enclosed data sheet (or website) before starting to install".
It took me four days to get stable. It is, as another reviewer has said, virtually a new OS, not an upgrade. It incorporates all sorts of drivers which were commonly loaded by other packages or hardware interfaces and when you go looking for things post-install it denies their existence because there is no 'path' established between the XP generic driver and the item you're looking for. Your desktop shortcut is searching for links which are now only accessible through XP.
Rule 1 - Have ALL your hardware and software install disks to hand
Rule 2 - Visit all hardware and software websites and check whether they have new software versions for XP and download if possible
Rule 3 - Uninstall EVERYTHING before upgrading - everything bar the CD-ROM
Rule 4 - Load XP and re-install all your stuff, using downloads where necessary. DOWNLOAD THE CURRENT XP UPGRADES FIRST
Be careful with on-board hardware such as modems, especially ISDN and faster. The front-end drivers now reside in XP, not with the hardware packages. XP creates a whole range of virtual hardware so your ISP connection needs to be looking for bytes, not chips.
Don't be alarmed if XP says it has a known conflict with a software version - load it then go to their website and get the upgrade.
BE WARNED - some less reputable software firms are using XP as an excuse to make you invest in newer versions which you may not need. Check with Microsoft first and make sure you have all the XP downloadable upgrades installed before shelling out cash.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Depends on what you do with your computer, 29 Nov 2002
G Payne (Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
Certainly it is more stable than previous versions, but I still manage to hang programs on a regular basis. There are serious compatibility problems - the well publicised problems with Java, for one. Also, Windows 98 and 2000 talk quite happily on my home network, but XP doesn't like either of them, in spite of insisting that everything is functioning properly. Call me old fashioned, but I think the interface looks like a cartoon. If you are able, I would recommend that you give XP a trial before rushing out and buying it. I think it is worth upgrading from 98, but I wouldn't change from 2000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward installation ... No problems !!, 2 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
I was expecting to encounter a problem or two in going through the upgrade process.
I must say that I encountered no problems and have upgraded from Windows XP Home to the professional edition, the experience exceeded my expectations. It didn't lose any of my settings (login info still worked, didn't have to reconfigure internet connection, etc). The only thing is that I had to reinstall all of the patches to bring my system up to the latest version- a bit of a pain, but something I expected.
The whole installation process took approximately 45 minutes from start to finish and it ran like clockwork. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Improvement, 13 Jun 2002
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
Friends had suggested that the XP upgrade would be a good investment, and when I discovered some software I needed required an XP fix, I took the plunge.
I found that the installation was smart and straightforward. XP gives you a checklist of problem areas and if you go through these, you should have an easy ride.
The software itself is good, and is full of little surprises. It has been very stable for me.
One word of warning, which is not a problem with XP per se.
If you have any Symantec products (Internet Security, Personal Firewall or particularly Norton Anti Virus) UNINSTALL them ALL before you start. It has taken me nearly a month to resolve problems with Symantec. If you do that and reinstall them once you have installed XP, you should be ok. If you cannot uninstall them, contact Symantec before you install XP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP - worth it or not?, 18 Dec 2001
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
The presentation of xp is very solid and nice to look at. After xp windows me and 9x just looks and feels old fashioned and harder to use. Xp also boasts loads of software with it and new features that i found very helpful. It is also much more stable than previous windows os's and if a program did happen to crash the close program dialogue was very good.
It is a great operating system but the matter of compatibility is a different matter; i found that some of my programs and hardware didnt work under xp even after using the compaibility wizard. And i couldnt install my ntlworld internet which was one of the biggest problems. That is why i went back to windows ME but only until i get a new hard drive (it takes quite a lot of disk space to install) and manufacturers have brought out compatibility drivers for my hardware.
I'm not saying its bad, i actually thought it was very good but i'm going to wait a while until i install it again. It is worth buying... but you may encounter some problems with it and some of your perephirals may not work under it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good OS, But a little pricey., 3 May 2004
I'll keep this short:
If you use 2000 Pro, then think very carefully about if you really need this. In fact, don't do it, you'll not see many bennefits.
If you use 98(SE) and you want to continue using Windows and modern software then go for XP.
XP Pro is, as OS's go, pretty good. It has decent security settings (once you enable them) and can be used as the base for a very stable and fast computer. The security settings in XP Home are apalling so I urge anyone on a network or who takes physical access security seriously to go for Pro instead.
In Short, It's attractive, well put together, but expensive. Don't let the threat of viruses and "Hackers" put you off. Any computer savvy user already knows the importance of Antivirus and Firewall protection. XP is no less secure than any other version of Windows.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile upgrade, 10 Sep 2001
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
For those who already have their hands on Windows XP (albeit a "preview" or "beta" version), the response seems to have been overwhelmingly positive. People who are reviewing won't be biased either: we have received this preview for just £15, and feel no need to justify a large expenditure by writing an on-line review to all and sundry defending (rightly or wrongly) a lavish outlay.
Installation: Microsoft improve their installation software each time a new OS (Operating System) comes out. XP is no exception. The installation is painless (but not much quicker than other Windows installations at about an hour on a quick machine). Any issues will be with drivers. Get the latest ones before you start: XP will tell you what is incompatible. The preview crashed at installation with my broadband modem - new drivers solved the problem. (NB XP has such a good internet connection wizard, I didn't need SwissCom's installer: I gave it the IP to dial, and it did the rest).
Once installed, the tidy, and, at last, instantly pleasing and professional-looking desktop are what strike you first. Immediately thereafter, you'll notice that XP kept your settings at installation: all your icons, internet settings (and upon inspection, 'favourites' and email accounts) will still be there. Wiping your hard drive and performing a "clean" (brand new, no old OS) install will result in a blank desktop, with everything tucked neatly under the start menu.
In general, things unfold pleasantly. Things are "task" oriented - you open up windows which have sections covering common tasks. Beginners will benefit, but experts will be pleased how easily everything is arranged. Nothing is hidden away though: all settings are still there to be tweaked to your liking, in familair fashion.
XP is stable, builing on NT and Windows 2000 foundations. Should you upgrade? From 98 or ME, without a doubt, you will benefit. From Windows 2000? This is another question. I came from Windows 2000 Professional. One PC is still running 2000. Not until you go back, will you realise what a great step forward XP is. The task oriented system, new start menu, wizards, easy-on-the-eye look, funtionality and capabilties bring everyday computing to a new "easy-PC" (aha!) level.
In summary a worthy upgrade: and we've only seen the preview version. If you use your PC often, then you should consider this a wise investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars My computer has been born again.., 2 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
My computer (1100 Duron, 640 ram) came with Windows 98SE pre-installed, and I couldn't justify handing money over for xp when 98 seemed to do the job just fine. However, over time the bugs in my system got worse and worse, and my decision to upgrade was more to do with ridding my system of bugs than for want of the other features of xp. However, since installation of xp, I realise that xp is the best thing that I could have done for my computer if I wanted to give it a complete and thorough overhaul. The bugs are all gone - win 98 used to crash on a regular basis - but the most impressive thing for me is the performance boost. The increase in speed of my computer was quite remarkable, especially for games. Programs now run smoother than before, windows pop up effortlessly. I was all ready to upgrade my cpu to an athlon 2200, but that has now been postponed. The visuals for xp are far more appealing than ever before, with more colours and textures. Also, disk fragmenter took forever with 98 - it took xp 45 minutes to defrag my 40gb drive (25gb full).
I'm not a microsoft zealot, I just know a quality product when I see one, and xp has quality stamped all over it. By the way, if you're thinking of upgrading from 98/ME, make sure you do a full, clean installation (not an upgrade). Xp is based on the same file management system as NT/2000 - NTFS. 98/ME use FAT32 which is not really suitable for large (20gb+) hard drives. If you simple upgrade on top of 98/ME, you won't get the benefits of an NTFS format hard drive, plus xp will likely inherit all the bugs from your previous OS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats Millenium with one hand behind its back!, 2 May 2002
MR DAVID J SHAW (John o' Groats, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
Having suffered Millenium Edition on my laptop for a while, I finally plucked up my courage and took the plunge - and I'm so glad I did!
The upgrade went without a hitch with nearly all my hardware - including several PC cards and my digital camera - being recognised - the only drivers I had to download were for my DVD (and XP even took me to the correct website to get them). XP even recognised my antiquted Deskjet 400, which is working perfectly (more than I was ever able to say with Millenium).
There is a noticeable improvement in performance - programs load faster and having multiple programs running doesn't seem to faze the system (unlike Millenium, which creaked alarmingly when asked to do more than about 4 things at once) and - miracle of miracles - I have yet to suffer one crash - when I was getting three or four a day with Millenium.
So far, apart from a few cosmetic matters which I'm sure I'll get used to, I have no complaints. If you're using Millenium, make the switch - you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows XP Pro, 28 Nov 2001
L Turley (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows XP Professional Upgrade (CD-ROM)
After all the hype & running the operating system for a few weeks, i actually prefer it to Windows ME. I will make one point clear though, you will have problems, i have had 2 serious problems: unable to shutdown (it kept rebooting) & a DEVLDR32 error every couple of minutes. Once i updated all my drivers (using Windows 2000 ones if XP drivers were not available) the problems disappeared. The new Start menu takes a bit getting used to, but you can revert it back to the old view if you really dont like it. The best thing at the moment would probably to wait until Microsoft release a service pack to fix the driver problems.

Windows XP Professional Upgrade
Windows XP Professional Upgrade by Microsoft Software (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: £31.00