on 14 April 2011
This is my son's and he tells me that the difficulty varies for allies and enemies on each level making it sometimes unfair.
on 3 February 2003
Its pretty rare that I give a game a bad review.. I usually see the good side in most games (apart from the truly appalling). Battlefield 1942 however, is severely overrated, at least as a single player game..
OK, OK its not all bad.. the graphics are actually technically pretty good. And if your system is up to it (you'll need a Ghz processor, 64MB video card and lots or RAM) it does run pretty smoothly. The scenery is appealing, the vehicles are quite well done too and animations are decent. Likewise, sound is great, with some good music and effects.
Unfortunately, whoever did the graphic design for this game has a seriously 'rose tinted' view of the second world war. Vehicles are all spick and span, tanks are kind of 'cute' looking. Its all very nice and pleasing to the eye, but at not point do I feel as though I'm in a war zone..
This isn't helped by the physics model, wich sees jeeps and tanks bouncing around the landscape like dune buggies and aircraft reversing on the ground and flying around like insects with no apparent thought for Isaac Newton. I know this isn't supposed to be any sort of simulator, but if nothing moves like it should, its impossible to immerse yourself in the game. Likewise, your character seems to float around the landscape on air.. except when jumping, in which case you incur damage if jumping down a hill. Not that you mind too much, because you, and all the other humans on the battlefield, are the most un-cool looking soldiers you've ever seen. Imagine a world pupolated by dorks in brown..
Surely, you cry, the gameplay is what matters! Well yes, I agree totally. Its a shame then, that gameplay is in fact appallingly dull and rather unbalanced. Basically, most of the maps are huge, sparesly populated affairs.. wich means most of your time is spent either looking for transportation, or running for miles across unbroken terrain. For some reason, your character runs extremely slowly (probably to 'encourage' players to use the vehicles) so running around is pointless. There are some really redundant posture commands too (you can lie down or crouch) but in this sort of game, the best defence is running backwards zigzag away from the threat whilst jumping repeatedly.. Quake style.. lying down is apt to get you killed extremely quickly.. then its back to trudging through bland terrain again.. frustrating. Of course, what you're 'meant' to do is climb into a tank (if there are tanks on the map), which is why gameplay is so unbalanced.. being infantry sucks.
Finally.. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of excessive violence in video games. I don't particularly want to see 'giblets' flying through the air 'rise of the triads' style, but on the other hand I find something vaguely disturbing about a game, based on one of the bloodiest wars in recent history, that doesnt having a single ounce of the red stuff anywhere to be seen. In BF:1942, shooting someone in the head simply makes them go 'ow' and fall over, it made me laugh the first time I saw this, but after that it just left me cold. Shooting games tend to rely on the part of the human phsych that likes to hurt things and blow things up.. if you take all the fun out of that, it simply gets tedious.
Apparently, this is one of those games thats great on-line.. unfortunately, I found the single player experience so annoying (after several serious attempt to 'get into' the game) I didn't have the heart to try this out. Really though, there are much, much better games than Battlefield:1942. Operation Flashpoint has realism, athmosphere and driveable vehicles, Unreal Tournament or Quake3 are simply better shooting games (on or off-line) and if you want some decent WWII action theres plenty of good games out there based on this era at the moment. For some reason, I find myself mentioning Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 at this point: Its not the best airplane sim in the world, but it has and excellent campaign system that really captures the feel of WW2.
on 30 August 2004
I LOVE THIS GAME IT HAS EVERYTHING YOU WANT, MULTIPLAYER,GREAT TANKS ETC.. THE ONLINE PLAY IS EXCELLENT ASWELL BUT IF YOU HAVE A 56K MODEM YOURE GONNA FIND ITS A BIT SLOW IF YOU HAVE A 3X FASTER BROADBAND OR ABOVE THIS GAME WILL WORK FINE.
THE REASON I GAVE IT 4 STARS IS BECAUSE THE BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM IS OUT AND THAT IS BETTER BUT IF YOU LIKE WW2 GAMES THIS IS THE ONE FOR YOU.
on 13 September 2002
This is the best world war 2 game I have ever seen. You can be at the helm of a destroyer, be the captain of a submarine, control tanks, fly in aeroplanes, and even run into the battle, being 1 of 5 soldiers. This game is as realistic as it gets. The graphics are amazing and so is the game play. There is an amazing variety of arsenal avail able to you. The are many different places in which the battle may take place.
I will be buying it as soon as it comes out and I sugest you do too.
on 21 October 2002
at first glance, this game, looks good, plays good and has numurus veacles (which all take some time to master).
the single player campagin is worth the money of this game on it's own, which is lucky because the multiplayer side of this game starts to show the games faults.
you will find yourself shooting peaple untill thay knotice you are there, turn around and kill you with one shot. (thay might not even be cheating - trainers available alow varius advantages to any one who value wining than value playing a game.)
you will see a leagion of players all jumping up and down continusly, in order to try and gain an advantage over each other by being the most dificalt target.
you will see little men runing around with a single shot rifle who can put a round between your eyes while thay run around in a circle.
you will also find everyone (and there mother) joining the side that is wining a round, so be prepared to be submerged into a "target rich enviroment" as 28 americans attack you and your 14 nanzi frends.
all thease things arn't necerceraly the games fault, more the peaple who play them.
if you want to play a good single person game, then get this.
if your looking for a game to play online, then eather stick to quake or get half-life and down load the ww2 mod for it "day of defeat"
on 6 September 2003
I could never take this game seriously for many reasons. Firstly the single player is terrible and the AI is all over the place. Some say that the single player is meant to be more for practicing and the multiplayer is where the game shines. Sure it has its moments. It is fun to drive tanks and fly the planes for a while, but the novelty soon wears off.
on 2 August 2005
I just read some of the reviews here and decided I would add some of my views on the subject even if it was released almost 3 years ago. I think the original battlefield 1942 is much overhyped, the graphics are a bit dodgy even by the standards back when first released and the weapons are pretty pathetic at killing the enemy. The singleplayer is so rubbish as to be unplayable, its only use being to learn how to fly the planes.
It is the concept for the game that is so great about the game, lets not say that the everything about the game is great because it isnt and never was. It is the concept of having all the materiel of war to go to battle against 32 other players on a battlefield, that is so appealing.
I played the original battlefield 1942 for only a short while before getting absolutely sick of it because the weapons are so useless. I then decided to download a few mods for it, I came across the Desert Combat mode which i downloaded and proceded to play. The DC mode is light years better that the original BF1942 and it is on a par with any modern FPS. After a few months I decided to give the original BF1942 a quick whizz again and discovered that it is even more useless than I had origianally thought, but the really shocking thing is there were still a lot of people playing it.
In conclusion then: BF1942 original-crap, BF1942 mods(some of them anyway)-brilliant.
on 16 November 2002
For my Birthday i was looking forward to Medal of Honour allied assult and the new spearhead add-on.I was most dissapointed to see that wrapped in a parcel with some snazzy paper was what would soon become, my worst Game!! This game really did suck. Ok the graphics where great and the gameplay was ok, but the way it was set out was just, Weird.Instead of being one person saving the allied forces you where a load of snipers assult people and anti tanks.This limited the amount of weapons you could use with each person and it became really boring.The levels are so basic, and there all the same thing.Capture 3 bunkers to win the mision.This game is also as buggy as a ants nest.Your computer needs to be about the best computer around to make this game work without any flaws.IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS, DONT!! Its a waste of money and there are mucher better war games out there than This.
on 13 March 2003
The Spitfire is too small and the Me109 too noisy. Like every other vehicle in the game they need ammo but can survive without fuel, right. When you're playing as Japanese they speak Japanese. Call me dumb but that's racialist. The game is also lacking blood, there are no women or childen, no columns of refugees. War is real and one has to ask, what's the point in simulating a war if it doesn't seel or feel real? The game has not followed CounterStrike in that it allows players to live again after dying. Call me dumb but as well as pretty unrealistic this borders on sacrilegious, what is it saying? If you die a new CD key should be issued to reinforce the fact that death is sad and permanent.