on 28 November 2012
Bert Stern, Great photographer,and the best music makers.
the age of Jazz, from Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington
Jack Teagarden,Gerry Mulligan, George Shearing and Chuckberry
They are the greatest, plus a lot more I havent mentioned.
on 25 July 2014
This DVD was purchased as a replacement for my video recording from a TV presentation. It covers combines my interest in jazz and America Cup match yatch racing and the wonderful Newport. I gave a copy to my friend who is a jazz musician.
on 6 June 2014
I've got it on tape so that let's you know how long ago I lister to it in full . Just the odd track on vinyl but that was just sound having the DVD gives you that insight into the energy and style of the time. Definitely 5stars!!
on 27 September 2013
Lovely flim for its social observation of the day -1958 America at a jazz festival.
Interesting to see the younger versions of those who became very famous - Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong. Some fantastic black female singers.
on 20 May 2003
The comments of other reviewers are endorsed. What started as a film project became a documentary, a mirror held up to reflect not only a moment in musical time, but also in US middle-class culture.
View this DVD and then a video or DVD of Woodstock - just 10 years later but worlds apart.
Just as Chuck Berry's appearance at Newport heralded the musical future so his fractured and sometimes inept guitar playing presaged the production values of later generations.
The image quality of the main movie is not 100% but, strangely, the same extracts are better during the "Making of ......" section. Almost as if they have been enhanced or taken from a different master.
Music varied and good, a very pleasant and nostalgic experience - recommended.
Was Anita O'Day the "Queen of Cool"?
on 11 June 2008
First of all, let me tell you how thrilled I am by this DVD
- it has amazing musical moment with, for instance, Thelonious Monk, Anita O'Day, Mahalia Jackson, Dinah Washington and Louis Armstrong shining very brightly (although, yes, the Monk number is marred by some mood shots and other interventions...), Satchmo and Teagarden crooning and scatting magnificently... Actually, I don't think I've seen a more beautiful footage of Armstrong's performance; he was still on the top in the 50s and Bert Stern portraits him beautifully, with some fortunatelly stylized stage lighting.

And it goes beyond music; check out the glamour of O'Day's attire, the moment very spirited Dinah Washington grabs the battons and joins Terry Gibbs on the vibes, the look on great Jo Jones' face while he supports Chuck Berry or, for that matter, the bizarre clarinet spot on that number - someone said it's Peanuts Hacko (who is too caucasian, as you can see on Armstrong's numbers on some other DVD's), others mention Rudy Rutheford - I don't know how he looked like (I do know he played in Count Basie orchestra back in 40s or something like that, so I guess he might be African American)...

I would agree with those who say that cool jazz numbers don't fare here as well as the traditional jazz, blues, gospel, mainstream and some modern ( Thelonious Monk!) numbers, even with the annoying break in the middle of the Sonny Stitt-Sal Salvador performance.

The breaks in the performance grow rarer as the film reaches the end, so there is place for true climax and musical as well as cinemathic catharsis in the end. But, from strictly cinematic point of view, I must add that there are some really fine shots; even the notoriously disinterested lady eating ice-cream looks interesting - it probably is a picture of the festival culture in the 50s, as is the attempt to connect it with the entertainment and leisure industry in general....

All in all, this is a unique jazz experience (and an interesting although not perfect film), recommended (or, should I say indispensable) to all serious jazz fans and interested beginners.
on 4 January 2014
The greatest jazz film ever. Fascinating insight into the time, watching the audience as well as the performers, a good film for watching when the weather is bad.
on 24 August 2013
I went to see this film in the 1960's and I enjoyed it just as much now as then. I have watched it 3 times in the last month
on 11 December 2015
I think that, to do this DVD justice, it has to be put into the context of its time. The shots of the audience, yachts, etc, provide a degree of interest. Some people will love how atmospheric they are while others will see them only as a distraction from the music. I saw them as part of the 'package' that enhanced the whole programme. The camera work, sound quality, etc are all good. I'll watch it more than once and I'm glad it's in my collection.
on 22 May 2015
It was great to hear and see some old heroes of mine. But I remember seeing Anita O'Day singing "Honey Suckle Rose" which was not included.
So a little disappointed there. But I otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a recording of iconic nostalgia for my generation of Jazz fans. gaga.