5.0 out of 5 stars a gem of a film
The greatest jazz film of all time. 1958 was a turning point in modern music and this film encapsulates the transition between the traditional and the modern. The Newport Jazz festival has been going now for 50 years but at no other festival was such a diversified line up of artists assembled. From Louis Armstrong to Chuck Berry, Anita O'Day to Theolonius Monk, this is...
Published on 29 July 2004 by David A Potter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a concert documentary ...but a wonderful film by a brilliant photographer
Film: 8,5/10
DVD (Charly release; ASIN: B00005NX0L): 6/10
Picture quality: 6,5/10
Sound: 6/10; mono
Aspect ratio: 1,33:1 (orig.)
Audio: GB
Run time: 85'
Bonus:
- documentary/making-of
- Audio CD

Great film capturing the artists, jazz music, vibes and audience of 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. To my knowledge the first...
Published 7 months ago by mickey_one

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever!, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film when it was released way back in the late 50s and was blown over by it. I've been raving about it ever since and been looking to get a copy. When it arrived ,remembering the old adage that you should never go back, I was apprehensive about watching it. When I did watch it, it was even better than I remembered it! My wife hadn't seen it before and now asks to see it again and again. I'm worried that we'll wear it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Jazz Film ever made!, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
Without a doubt this is probably the best Jazz film ever made. When it first came out I spent the whole afternoon and evening in the cinema watching it over and over again. Wonderful! ( you could do that in those days!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jazz On A Summer's Day [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
I hadn't seen this since I was in college back when it came out. I must say it has lost nothing in the intervening years and its fascinating to see how slender and conservatively dresses we all were then!

4.0 out of 5 stars good music, from good music makers., 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Jazz On A Summer's Day [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
Bert Stern, Great photographer,and the best music makers.
the age of Jazz, from Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington
Jack Teagarden,Gerry Mulligan, George Shearing and Chuckberry
They are the greatest, plus a lot more I havent mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz on a summers day, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film when I first saw it in a cinema. Seeing it again, after so many years, I realise why I loved it so much. It offers great performances, covers a very wide range of styles and is a fascinating commentary on life in Newport USA at the time. Among the many performers I think I like Anita O`Day singing Tea for Two most of all - a brilliant performance on a sunny afternoon - despite the competition from Louis Armstrong, Mahalia Jackson and the others. It is a worthy real-life companion to the fictional 1956 film High Society, which starred Louis Armstrong along with Crosby, Sinatra and Grace Kelly.

Now if only someone can produce a DVD of Louis Armstrong`s world tour - originally produced as a b/w film by Time-Life circa the late 1950s...

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal documentary, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
A seminal documentary in terms of film making, jazz and the flavour of late 1950's America shot in Newport during an America Cup sailing series. This film influenced a whole generation of European youth leading up to the 60's revolution - and anyone who says that didn't happen wasn't there.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow amazeing this is fab and the soundtrack!!, 4 Sep 2008
Mr. S. L. Smith "musicman" (england carlisle cumbria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz On A Summer's Day [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
my nana went to see the film in the 60s she loved it i love it too wow and the soundtrack both essential buy them both!! you cant go wrong mahalia jackson,thelonious monk,count basie fantastic stuff what you waiting for!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz on a Summer's Day, 21 Aug 2009
C. CUNLIFFE "Aged Heptaphile" (North Tawton, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
I bunked off school to see this when it was first released; many, many years ago. I bought the CD to see if what I remembered was real; it was, and it's an extraordinary display of late 50's liberal attitudes, interests ...and jazz. From the first shimmering 'Train and the River' by Jimmy Guiffre, to 'The Lord's Prayer' by Mahalia Jackson, it's all still there, beautifully photographed, well recorded, and exquisitely edited.
I always wondered what 'Nashville' reminded me of; now I know, but I like the jazz version better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just nostalgia, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
If you feel down and out, put this dvd on, and you se the sun and the blue sky again. Nostalgia but much more: joy of life and great jazz.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great film about JAZZZZZZZZZZZ and some blues and gospel and rock, 28 Oct 2010
This review is from: Jazz On A Summers Day [DVD] (DVD)
I own a different edition of the film ( Jazz On A Summer's Day [DVD] [1958] [NTSC] ), so I just wanted to say this is a great jazz documentary, with Dinah Washington swinging madly with Terry Gibbs (even joining him for a ride with hot mallets), with the incredible Anita O'Day singing exuisitly (and, oh, so hip), with Louis Armstrong and Jack Teagarden working beautifully together, with some fine cool jazz (Jimmy Giuffree, Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall), with Mahalia Jackson charming and charismatic as ever (and shy as a young girl when receiving a well deserved applaus...)...
There's also the blues women Big Maybelle, Thelonious Monk (albeit interrupted by the "documentary" material of yacht races) and lots of other attractions, for instance Chuck Berry rocking and rolling with a jazzers backing him up...
My copy of the film is magnificent (although the gratiutous CD that came with it was faulty, skipping on the second half). I hope this edition is as great.

Jazz On A Summer's Day [DVD] [NTSC]
Jazz On A Summer's Day [DVD] [NTSC] by Bert Stern (DVD - 2001)