Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 November 2001
Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'One More From The Road' is their finest moment. It's about as good a live album as any band has ever released and ranks up there with the likes of 'Live At Leeds', 'Live and Dangerous', 'Double Live Gonzo' and many others. It perfectly captured the fire and passion of the Skynyrd live experience and every self-respecting rock fan should own a copy.
So having got that out of the way, this latest edition is the definitive CD issue of 'OMFTR'to date. The original first-issue single CD was incomplete due to restrictions on running time and it sounded weak and tinny (didn't they all!). Subsequent reissues in double CD format readdressed the matter of missing tracks (even adding bonus cuts in some cases) but failed to remedy the problem of the lacklustre sound.
For this 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, MCA have gone back to the original 2 inch master tapes and started the CD transcription process from scratch. The result is staggering. This is the closest a CD reissue of this album has ever sounded to the original vinyl. It sounds beautiful - big, thumping, warm and detailed with plenty of bass, something sorely lacking in previous issues. You can hear every nuance in the music. It's almost like hearing it for the first time again. That alone makes it worthy of purchase.
In terms of the extra material, it's also well worth the investment. The alternate versions don't offer much in the way of variety from their previously released incarnations (Skynyrd were so tight at this point they were like a well oiled machine) but they also sound awesome and are worth a listen. However, the true gem here is the inclusion of 'Simple Man', which was not included on the original album (although it did appear on the 'Legend' set and on a previous CD reissue of 'OMFTR'). It's wonderful to hear it here in the proper context and it really adds to the set.
So all in all, this is a must have. If you have any of the prevous CD versions, get rid of 'em and replace them with this. If you were a fan of the original vinyl LP then prepare to be pleasently surprised!
A final note - the outside wrap on this edition states that the album has been 'remixed, remastered and expanded'. Don't let the 'remixed' description scare you off - it still sounds so true to the original you'll scarcely be able to tell the difference. Enjoy.
11 comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2002
This album is a must for anyone who likes the Skynyrds. Especially those with copies of this album on vinyl.
The main gain is the bass response. Leon Wilkeson and Artimus Pyle drive the whole thing along in a way that was missing from the original album mix.
This album has the original lead guitar lines from the gigs with the Gibson Explorer he played on most songs so shrill it takes your head off and makes a great counterpoint to the Les Paul of Gary Rossington. The Firebird on Freebird sounds almost mellow in comparison. Best of all, someone has put Steve Gains into the mix on more than just Texas and it really sounds great. Check out his 'Okie' solo on Alabama.
The vocal sound fresh too with a lot more of Ronnies whistles and asides. Check out Whiskey Rock-a-Roller against the vinyl, its a different vocal track.
I saw the Skynyrds as a support act in 1974 and I'll never forget the shock as it dawned on me just how good these guys were. This album reminds me all over again.
Buy it!
on 3 September 2006
I love Skynyrd but have never been a huge fan of live albums (UFOs Strangers In The Night & The Ramones It's Alive being the exception to the rule) so was hesitant in buying a live Skynyrd album - this record has proved my reservations to be totally unfounded.

In my opinion,it would be nothing short of the truth to say that this is a masterpiece.All the plaudits are well deserved , it is truly a quality,quality record.

The "set list" is superb & the band were evidently on fire when this was recorded - the vocals & musicianship are very , very tight - an album that has not been of my CD player since I got it - great songs, great band , a top quality record. Well worth treating yourself to - in fact I'd go so far as to say it's an essential for any record collection.
on 6 June 2005
In the lyrics to Freebird, Ronnie Van Zant asks "If I leave here tomorrow, will you still remember me?" Well, he did leave leave (sadly killed, along with five others, in a plane crash) and we do remember! One More From the Road is a spectacular document of a rock band checking all the boxes when it comes to getting it right.
In my opinion, it's advisable to get your hands on as much Lynyrd Skynyrd as you can. If you decide not to do that and are simply looking for one addition to your collection, this is the one. The Deluxe Edition is worth the extra for the alternate takes and the liner notes - but then again the album, in deluxe form or not, is worth buying at any price. It is that good!
on 10 April 2006
If you like Lynyrd Skynyrd, you'll buy this album. If you like Southern Rock music, you'll buy this album. In fact, if you like music at all, I'm pretty sure you'll buy this album. It's a brilliant live piece with excellent performances throughout. Highlights (For me... everyone seems to pick out different ones) include Sweet Home Alabama, Freebird, Tuesday's Gone, Searchin', Travelin' Man, and everything in between.
It`s so horrible to think of Lynyrd Skynyrd recording a Christmas album like they did in 2000. Ronnie, Allen and Steve must have been spinning in their graves. The fact is, and I saw the reformed 1991-version and bought the albums from that time too, that in 1977 these guys were dangerously close to world domination...they had just released the incredible "Street Survivors", which suggested the addition of Steve Gaines would add another dimension, and also their world tour had left fans worldwide gasping for more. The band consumed so many drugs and so much alcohol that it`s a wonder they ever made it to the stage, but they did, and they were on cracking form at the Fox Theatre back in `76.

I`m not absolutely sure about the set-list but that`s my only quibble - Ronnie Van Zant felt that live performances should be as error-free as the studio releases, and he had exactly the band to guarantee this. Hearing the interplay between Allen and Gary is always a delight, but as I`ve mentioned, Steve Gaines was a serious performer too, and this was only his fourth gig with his new band!!! Check the solo to "Sweet Home Alabama" - Oklahoma-born Steve is introduced by Ronnie with the great line, "Come on Okey, meet Atlanta"!

Leon Wilkeson is one of those bassists who doesn`t seem to be doing alot but if you took it away then the whole damn thing would fall apart. Artimus Pyle`s drumming has the power of cannonballs at times and I love the piano of Billy Powell, especially in "Call Me The Breeze". And Ronnie, his lyrics are so simple and meaningful at times, and his delivery throughout is faultless.

Everyone knows there is nothing sweeter than "Freebird"; the three lead guitarists, the pounding bass, the essential piano, the driving drums as the finale gains pace and power...it doesn`t get better, and everything that`s happened since just makes it all the more poignant.

This was one special band.
on 1 March 2005
I was raised on a diet of Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers. The former being my favourites. Having been a life-long fan, the one thing I wanted was a live recording- low and behold, "One More From the Road" is re-released. I have never heard a better live album. The band are on top form, Van Zant's vocals are as rich as ever, the guitarists are perfect and Pyle, Wilkeson and Powell are fantastic. I've yet to hear the latest line-up and, though I'm sure they're good, I will always think of this as the quintessential Skynyrd- Freebirds all.
on 8 October 2009
Like a lot of people of a certain age, I am in the midst of replacing a lot of my classic vinyl with cd`s. To be honest I bought this totally on recomendations of other Amazon customers, and this has to be one remasters that has really suprized me the most. The remaster is excellent, sounds fresh and full of energy, and packs a bigger punch than the original, I was blown away.
Stand out tracks, well so many to choose, but not the obvious ones, Simple man, T for Texas, Call me the breeze and the stunning Tuesday`s Gone, all stand out but its the production which blows you away. Was not sure if I wanted to buy some of the earlier albums, but not sure these versions can be topped, great packaging,double cd for a top price, what are you waiting for, go buy.
on 14 June 2016
One of the greatest bands of the seventies live in concert. From a time when we didn't have instant stardom given to undeserving people..
These guys earned their place in history with great music played very well.
on 15 May 2014
This was the album, leant to me by a friend, which turned me on to Lynyrd Skynyrd back in my teens and, up to now, I've never owned a copy of it, so I was very pleased (understatement) to find that this album not only lived up to my fond memories, but also clearly exemplifies the quality of the band at the height of its career. For those who don't already have the details of Skynyrd's career imprinted on their memory, the booklet that comes with this 2 CD set is very informative, as well as helping put the album in context.