5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly, achingly, heart-wrenchingly beautiful
This CD was my first introduction to Joan Baez (besides her song 'Diamonds and Rust') and lets just say it was love at first listen - I now own 16 of her CDs and counting but this is still my absolute favourite.
Published on 20 Jan. 2009 by Fairuza Foch

Published on 1 Feb. 2012 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly, achingly, heart-wrenchingly beautiful, 20 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
Never have I ever heard another singer come close to the passion and fragility that Joan Baez conveys in the songs heard here (or indeed any of the songs she sings). I completely disagree with the amazon reviewer who said that this CD is no different to the CD debuts of Judy Collins or Carolyn Hester. Although many suggest it is the songs themselves that are magic, one only has to listen to Judy Collin's rendition of 'John Riley' and Joan Baez's to see that this is not entirely true. Although the song itself is undeniably beautiful, Joan Baez doesn't just sing the words as Judy Collins does, she IS the words, you FEEL the song and are moved by the experience. Judy Collins just doesn't have the voice or passion to sing traditional folk songs -her voice being rather harsh, forced and devoid of passion. Joan Baez's voice on the other hand, is sparkling, soft, haunting, haunted, passionate, warbling, frightened, thrilling, melancholy and just heartachingly beautiful. I have never heard anyone sing like her. My favourites on this CD are Silver Dagger, East Virginia, Fare Thee Well, John Riley and Henry Martin. Buy this CD and when you feel compelled to buy another of her CDs and listen to no one but Joan don't say I didn't warn you..Joan Baez is addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best early Joan Baez album, 20 Dec. 2008
M. HOPKINSON (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
Recorded in 1960, at the age of 19, this was the album that established Joan Baez's reputation. The material is all from a variety of traditional sources, albeit with some differences in arrangements from previous recordings. Musically, it couldn't be simpler; the whole album is voice self-accompanied on accoustic guitar. What makes it stand out is the quality of singing. Joan's voice is crystal clear, yet passionate without being the least bit haughty. Alledgedly, her soprano voice was capable of breaking glass. Just occasionally, e.g. on House of the Rising Sun, it becomes too penetrating. For the most part, however, it is well-controlled and at its best it arches effortlessly over the melody. Listening to her singing the word East in East Virginia is worth the entry price alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly beautiful voice, an absolutely essential record., 24 April 2004
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
I bought this album in a second hand store on vinyl a month ago, notknowing what to expect, on spec. I needn't have worried. Joan Baez has themost magnificent soprano, classy yet emotive, with range, control, andunderstated power. Simple guitar accompaniament to these classic songs isso appropriate.
This is an artist crying out to be rediscovered. I amso glad I took a punt. You must get this recording.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality transfer to CD is a crime against the wonderful music, 1 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
Although I have been a Dylan fan since the 60s and have all his albums, I only heard Baez on broadcasts, now I thought I ought to own some and this is my first purchase of her early work. I certainly agree with other reviewers about the music and her voice, however the quality of the transfer onto CD on the copy I received is atrocious, pops and crackles I would expect, but the volume is horribly variable. If I was JB I would sue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would not be without this album now, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
Believe everything good you read about this album, it's stunning. It was new to me when I received it yesterday and have played it six times already. My favourites are 'East Virginia', 'Mary Hamilton', 'Henry Martin' and 'Donna Donna' (worth buying for this beautiful rendition alone) but the whole album is amazing, with some excellent bonus tracks. Wild horses would not separate me from my copy. Buy it. Don't think twice - it's more than alright.

4.0 out of 5 stars Angelic, 13 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
Hadn't heard this before, so was surprised most songs are unaccompanied. But Joan Baez can carry it off. Fabulous voice. Good to hear the purity of her voice and the songs, without fussy arrangements. Think its best to dip in to this album and enjoy each song individually, rather than all in one go. A specialist album from the start of her career, many of the songs familiar to folksong lovers, but her delivery is nothing but angelic.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a voice., 5 July 2013
P. Hughes (Caerwys,North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
Every time I hear this voice it takes me back to the early 60's when I first heard her sing.That feeling has been reborn in this CD, the purity of voice and superb string backing takes me back in time.Like many musicians of that time, Bob Dylan included, they were at their best when not trying to over complicate, by adding electric add ons.If like me you are a baby boomer this one is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a wobbly recording, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
The singing is beautiful, and theres some good guitar work that you don't get on Farewell Angelina or Noel, but this sounds in places like someone taped it at home. Especially noticeable on Donna Donna if you're wearing headphones. And my ears aren't the best - I'm no HiFi buff!!

Still, I'm glad I got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate Folk Singer, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
When Joan Baez recorded this at the age of 19, I was 14. How I heard of her I do not know but I instantly requested the LP for my birthday. I still have that LP. (I have recently purchased the CD). Along with my Brian Hyland records, I played this over and over again. I became a great fan of Folk, even having the opportunity (and privelege)to harmonise once with Peggy Seeger.

Forward 50 years and a friend takes me to a folk club. The "leader" of this lovely, talented and fun crowd asked "Would you like to sing something?" As it is Advent, I stand up and out of my mouth comes the Baez version of the Cherry Tree Carol. No hesitation, no trying to remember the words, it is all there from 50 years ago. 2 years on and I am still enjoying being able to stand up and sing something that I can remember both words and pitch effortlessly. On Saturday we are having a fundraising supper for an African Village that our community supports and I shall certianly sing Baez as my contribution to the evening.

Her voice is so pure and sweet, her diction so clear and every word has a mountain of feeeling and expression in it. She cannot be faulted.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important album, 10 Mar. 2013
Mr. Christopher Harris "Chris in Brum" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Joan Baez Debut Album (Audio CD)
This is an album that anybody interested in the development of popular movement should own.

It also happens to be beautiful with Baez's voice just wonderful.

Joan Baez Debut Album
Joan Baez Debut Album by Joan Baez (Audio CD - 2001)