• Bad

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 August 2011
This is one of my favorite Jackson albums, I think I may prefer is to Thriller. However why have sony replaced Dirty diana with the edited single version, taken the breathing off Smoth Criminal at the beginning,Removed Jackson's speach at the beginning of i just can't stop loving you. There are slight differences to bad and the way you make me feel with the vocal being more up front. I am all for special editions, but not when they make the original album shorter. Bad is a fantastic album and I imagine now Jackson has passed away the correct version will be out soon. This is still excellecent value but I so wish record company's would not alter a perfect album, that never needed altering in the first place. That is my reason for 4 not 5 not for the music but because this is not the original album.
on 21 September 2012
I really enjoy the album "Bad" and have often thought that it is better than the "Thriller" album. I think it is some of Michael Jackson's best work - the best being, in my opinion, the "Off The Wall" album. I believe that Michael was at his peak during the "Bad" era.

The re-release of "Bad" ("Bad25") is good. The original songs are still amazing but I wish that the intro to "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" had been included. The demos included on the second CD are decent. My favourite demos are "I'm So Blue" and "Free" because they remind me of the sweet innocence of Michael's musical talent. I am not a fan of the remixes of "Bad" and "Speed Demon" nor did I enjoy the different versions of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You". The entire second CD seemed a little unnecessary.

The concert DVD is incredible! Watching Michael work his magic is always a special treat to me -- I never had the chance to see him perform live so this DVD made me happy.

Michael was such a rarity...and it makes me so sad to think of how life played out for him. That said, it is nice to have the chance to recall happier times - times when he was on top of the world, both professionally and personally, such as the "Bad" era.
on 15 July 2009
I thought I knew Michael Jackson's music - Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, Smooth Criminal, Black & White, Bad, etc. The mega big hits. But having recently purchased all of Michael Jackson's major solo albums I am simply in awe of the amazing artist he is.

In respect with this album 'Bad', I think it is my favourite of all of them. It is completely filled with great songs, pretty much all of which could have been hits. I think there are at least 7 or 8 singles on there. Not a single filler here.

My personal favourites on here are Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man In The Mirror, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Dirty Diana, Smooth Criminal, and Leave Me Alone. The special edition of this CD also includes the fantastic Streetwalker. This song is so good it is a shame it missed out on the original album.

What you realise when you buy all his CD's and look throught he booklets is that Michael Jackson actually wrote and composed most of his songs including his biggest hits. That I did not know, he's a music genius.
on 16 January 2011
This is one of my favorite Jackson albums, I think I may prefer is to Thriller.It sold more in the UK than triller. However why have sony replaced Dirty diana with the edited single version, taken the breathing off Smoth Criminal at the beginning,Removed Jackson's speach at the beginning of i just can't stop loving you. There are slight differences to bad and the way you make me feel with the vocal being more up front. I am all for special editions, but not when they make the original album shorter. Bad is a fantastic album and I imagine now Jackson has passed away the correct version will be out soon. This is still excellecent value but I so wish record company's would not alter a perfect album, that never needed altering in the first place. That is my reason for 4 not 5 not for the music but because this is not the original album.
on 6 April 2003
I totally disagree with the critics who claim that the tracks on BAD have become dated over the years. I am only 16, so I don't remember the reaction to BAD at the time it was released, but I can safely say that this album still has a massive influence on music today-just look at Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal. This album covers many different styles of music, ranging from rock (Dirty Diana) to the more chilled, soulful tracks (e.g. Liberian Girl). Definately a worthy follow up to Thriller, this album shows some of MJ's best work.
on 4 December 2002
Prior to the Bad album I was listening to the likes of Madonna, Whitney Houston & Queen and thought that Michael Jackson was a good artist but not a favourite of mine. This album rocketed the guy to the top of my favourites in the music world. This is quite simply a breathtaking album where Michael Jackson used his experience from Thriller and took it a step further by creating music that was not only genius, but genuinely appealing to all age groups. You could be tempted into calling Bad a "Pop" album, but this would be an injustice to Michael Jackson and his mentor & co-producer Quincy Jones. The album IS a Pop album but uses R&B, Gospel & Rock to flavour the tracks into what I consider the greatest combination of music ever. A genuine classic album will display diversity without sounding all-over-the-place, something that I think Michael Jackson has partially fallen foul to on his later releases.
Most people aged between 20 and 70 will know at least half of this album recognising timeless classics such as The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal & Man In the Mirror. I swear that even the tracks that Michael decided not to use would have made Top 10 singles at the time, he was quite simply that brilliant in the late 80's.
If your reading this review with a view to buying the album then yes, I'm a fan of Michael Jackson. I wasn't however at the time of buying this CD so be warned - it really is good enough to change your outlook on music !
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2001
You can say what you like about Wacko Jacko, but it would be churlish to even pretend that this guy was not hugely important in pop history. With the recent chart success of Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal, I would guess that quite a few of todays teens and sub-teens are going to be turning their attention to Jackson as for the first time. They won't be disappointed. The sheer quality of this album remains as startling now as it was on release - the songs, the musicians, the production, it's all there. More than that, listening today makes you realise just how much of a pioneer Jackson was in his heyday. It's fresh, it's fun, you can't help dancing and it reminds you that there was a time when pop was not interchangeable with pap.
on 9 March 2004
Michael Jackson's 'Bad' album sounds just as fresh now as it did in 1987. It is obvious that Jackson and his producer, Quincy Jones, decided to go in a different musical direction from it's multi-million selling predecessor, 'Thriller'. Therefore, 'Bad' is far more synthesiser-based, and evidently makes use of state-of-the-art equipment from beginning to end.
The album sets in stone Jackson's musical trademarks such as multi-layered and amplified chorus vocals, his 'aaow's and 'heehee's and punchy rhythmic arrangements. Apart from it's 3 ballads - 'Liberian Girl', 'Man In The Mirror' and 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You', this album is a pop record designed primarily for dancing. It has extremely exciting moments - from the bizzare atonal arrangement of chords which open the album to the instrumental breaks that Michael gasps and yelps over and the atmosphere conjured up in the albums best slow-groove, 'Man In The Mirror'. These kinds of things make 'Bad' an outstanding album.
During the 'Bad' years we saw Michael's most energetic and exciting dancing - in his music video's, in the film 'Moonwalker'(1988), and in his sell-out 'Bad' world tour. This is reflected in the nature of the music on this jet-propelled album.
A genius amalgamation of excellent songwriting and great production, there are a few things which detract from the quality of this album. The album's title and cover art are both rather dubious and childish. It is obvious that the entire 'Bad' concept was devised by Jackson himself, the 'Bad' video with it's nonsensical narrative being his first truly bizarre and unsettling moment. In desperation to sell more than 'Thriller', Michael tried too hard and became rather self-indulgent, effeminate and confusing. However, if, like me, you can separate Michael's image and behaviour from his music, 'Bad' remains a brilliant and exciting album which bears all the hallmarks of a classic. I find that it's spirit is captured best on LP, where it sounds far richer and punchier than on CD version.
An excellent album which was way ahead of it's time by Michael Jackson - a musical genius.
on 19 February 2015
So much has been said about this release already, I thought I might as well throw my two penneth's worth in too!
The year is 1987, it's been 5 years since Thriller, the most successful album of all time. How do you follow such an accolade? Why bother? Michael had achieved everything you could possibly achieve as an artist.

Personally I think Michael wanted to prove that he could be responsible for his own success. 'Off The Wall' (1979) included 10 songs of which Michael wrote and co produced 3, the fantastic 'Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough' 'Working Day and Night' and 'Get on the Floor' which were arguably the album's best songs. The rest of the album was written and produced for him by Rod Temperton, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Carole Bayer Seger and of course Quincy Jones, you definitely get the impression he was being looked after 'in house' so to speak. This album has sold about 20,000,000 units. 'Thriller' (1982) came along 3 years later and was more of the same really! Michael wrote 4 of it's 9 songs which is still less than 50% of it's writing credits, which we all know is where the money lies! 'Billie Jean' 'Beat It' 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and 'The Girl Is Mine' all co produced by Michael as well showed us that he was growing in confidence as a song writer and had clear ideas on how he wanted his music to be heard. It went on to sell in excess of 65,000,000 units! But, you still felt this overriding sense of artistic shackles being restrained, still being chaperoned by bigger people in the business.

The five years that followed 'Thriller' is all there to see, Michael went from being a successful pop star to world icon and all the attention, bad and good that comes with that title was splattered all over our newspapers for all to see. 'Bad' (1987) is Michael Jackson's crowning glory and his biggest personal triumph in a his career thus far. He had written a reported 50 songs, of which he had recorded 30, he wrote 9 of the 11 songs officially released and co produced all 11 with Quincy Jones of which this was to be the last collaboration. For me this was Michael's awakening, he matured and became the ruler of his own destiny, the shakles were off and he was set free. This album has since shifted in excess of 45,000,000 units. Now 28 years later, we all know how that destiny played out for him. It still fills me with immense sadness that Michael is no longer here making music because no matter how we felt about the man and his failings, he was an exceptionally great musician and 'Bad' should be remembered for the time that Michael came of age.
on 18 April 2014
Michael Jackson wanted Bad to be even better than Thriller. But Thriller was the highest-selling record of all time, winner of 8 Grammys, the start of story-telling in music videos, and the breaker of racial barriers. How could he top it? While Bad failed to perform as well as Thriller, it contained classics such as Smooth Criminal, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror, Dirty Diana, and I Just Can't Stop Loving You. Who can't conjure up an image of the Bad video with the dancing gang, or the Smooth Criminal suit? Bad was an amazing album in its own right, and has become one of my absolute favourites!

Bad is all 80s and full of fun. This album makes me happy; it makes me want to dance, it makes me want to have a good time. Each song just feels like a pop masterpiece. This album is varied and has a song for every mood, from the very 80s, feel-good fun of Just Good Friends (why do a lot of people dislike this song?), to the more rocky, sexy Dirty Diana, to the meaningful and emotional Man in the Mirror. If I had to choose between Thriller and Bad, I would choose Bad. Not only does this era have my favourite songs, but my favourite videos!

You probably know the classics like Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror, Smooth Criminal and Leave Me Alone. But every song on this album is brilliant - there is no filler here at all. You get two bonus tracks, plus voice-overs from Quincy Jones talking about the making of the album, and why one of the bonus tracks, Streetwalker, didn't make the cut in 1987. I think excluding Streetwalker did the fans of '87 a great disservice - it has quickly become my ultimate favourite, even topping Dirty Diana and The Way You Make Me Feel, which I love. It might be an acquired taste... it's very fun, and suits my tastes perfectly, but others might find it silly... Everyone's different. I'm glad Streetwalker was included on the new release. I have no complaints about this album at all, except for one small thing: I'm So Blue would have been better than Fly Away. But other than that, it's an A+ album.

I believe this was actually MJ's most popular era, and it's easy to see why. He was in his prime here, his element - his music appeals to young, old, male, female, kids and adults. His videos are legendary, his choreography second to none. No one has topped MJ and possibly no one ever will. I'm just sad that I wasn't here to witness this era, and appreciate it, at the time. I would have been right up there at the barrier in my 80s gear, that's for sure.