5.0 out of 5 stars Such clarity!
I've never written a review before, but my listening to this CD after I bought it earlier has compelled me to do so!

Published on 31 May 2007 by Daniel Lynch

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb version of the cello concerto
Published on 28 Mar 2010 by William Shardlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Such clarity!, 31 May 2007
Daniel Lynch "D Lynch" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shostakovich: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 / Cello Concerto No. 1 (Audio CD)

This recording of three truly great solists, Yo Yo Ma, André Previn and Leonard Bernstein, is simply fantastic. The amazing work of Shostakovich is given a new lease of life by these contemporary performers, who definitely breathe into it new life.

Typically, Shostakovich's cello music is attributed to Rostropovich, but I think Yo Yo Ma's interpretation of this - his edgy sound - is something to rival even him.

This is definitely a CD you'll want to play on loud - the orchestral clarity and recording quality is simply divine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystic joy, 9 Jan 2010
J. James - See all my reviews
Shostakovich wrote his second piano concerto for his son Maximilian out of a huge sense of relief and joy at the death of Stalin. It sounds like it. The slow movement is arguably one of the most beautiful ever written for the piano, wonderfully romantic, never sentimental. The last movement is simply a tour de joyeux force for orchestra and soloist together. Difficult not to leap up and shout 'yay!' at the end.
The first piano concerto is Shostakovich the mocker; the cello concerto is right up there with the great concertos for that instrument.
A stunning disc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb version of the cello concerto, 28 Mar 2010
The recordings of the piano concerto are quite old, and it shows. I'm not averse to old recordings in general - the RCA stereo recordings of Heifetz are superb. But these don't sound anywhere near as good as those. The Yo Yo Ma modern digital recording, on the other hand, is superb, and so is Yo Yo Ma. Penguin give him top marks for this performance, and I think it's deserved. The Penguin's praise for Previn and Bernstein is a lot more muted, especially for Previn. I wouldn't praise him at all, it's a very lack lustre performance (digging around in the Gramaphone archives I find an 'expert' agrees with me!) Bernstein gives a better performance, driving the music forward with a lot of energy, and drawing out the beauty of the slow movement, but I've heard better. There's a coupling of this cello concerto with Shostakovich's other cello concerto that looks a better buy to me, wish I'd gone for that. Penguin give high ratings to other couplings of the piano concertos. I'll be looking to buy one of those...

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-star cast doesn't fail to dissapoint!, 28 May 2009
James Waygood "the_waybad" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the CD after hearing Piano Concerto No. 2 for the first time at a stunningly fantastic performance at the Royal Festival Hall in London. The soloist Martin Helmchen took the piece at a very leisurely and mesaured pace without lacking on the playful character of the piece, which worked wonderfully, and the London Philharmonic Orchestra were at their best. Leonard Bernstien's approach is similarly measured, but again it by no means lacks any flare, passion, and virtuosity, and is a stunning performance. I daresay the performance is better than the other CD on sale on Amazon where the composer, his son and, grandson take turns at each movement. For example, Dmitri's performance on the first movement, in my opinion, is too rushed, and Maxim's performance of the 2nd movement to me comes across as a little flat.

What was great about the CD is the inclusion of the Piano Concerto No.1 and also the Cello Concerto, two pieces I was unfamiliar with before purchasing the CD. Both Yo-Yo Ma and Andre Previn perform brilliantly and both pieces are a joy to listen too.

Overall, a brilliant showcase of three great Shostacovich concertos, performed by three fanastic soloist! A must for any Shostacovich lover.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recording, 15 Feb 2013
Not the best I have heard but well worth trying, good sound though so I would reccomend it on the whole.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cello Steals The Show !, 29 Sep 2012
I purchased this CD for the esteemed Piano Concertos No's 1 and 2 and I enjoy both but the Concerto No1 in E Flat Major for Cello and Orchestra has stolen the show in my opinion .Yo - Yo Ma is the cellist under the orchestration of Eugene Ormandy with The Philadelphia Orchestra .The Cello Concerto lasts 27 minutes approximately and consists of four sections.I have to say that this has quickly become one of my favourite pieces of classical music .To me this music has real power, integrity and worth and the photograph of the blazing, fiery Sun on the cover of the CD seems to suit the brooding atmosphere that is evoked by the Cello Concerto ! Whether Shostakovich believed that this particular piece of music was divinely inspired or not I don't know but as far as I am concerned this Cello Concerto brings to my mind something of the glorious beauty of God's creation . The sound quality throughout the whole of the CD is excellent , clear and warm .I recommend this CD for anyone who is seeking to start to explore the music of Shostakovich.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shostakovich CD, 9 Jan 2014
Excellent CD good quality, well played with good sound. I use it in the car all the time as well as in the home.

4.0 out of 5 stars some really stirring tracks on this, 25 Sep 2013
some really stirring tracks on this - Shosty at his best and better than the best of Shosty by far

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon got it wrong!, 31 Aug 2013
Rather than reviewing the work in question I would like to point out that all the listed reviews do n o t relate to the disc shown above!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant CD's, 6 Mar 2011
D. W. Jones "Deacon Dell" (West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
What a bonus not only the two piano concerto's but the Cello concerto No1 thrown in as well. If you love the music of Shostakovich then this is the album for you. Get your order in now and sit back and let the music flow over you.