5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Cleaning Lab
A relative of mine was asking me how to transfer his record collection to CD. After much looking around I had found several contenders, but all costing £60+, and the all looked a bit complicated to use. I then found Audio Cleaning Lab.... After skipping through the 100+ page manual, off I went to the Brother-in-Laws house to load it up for him.
What a fantastic...
Published on 30 Sep 2001 by Stephen Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but operable
Published on 3 Nov 2002 by jacktar35

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Cleaning Lab, 30 Sep 2001
Stephen Morrison (Gateshead) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
What a fantastic piece of software it is. The simplicity of use is unbelievable, simply plug your HI-FI into your sound card line-in socket and off you go. After spending 5 minutes showing my Brother-in-Law how to use it (He's a complete computer novice), he was re-mastering his records. The sound enhancements work fine, removing the hiss and clicking without any problem.The CD burning process itself is just a couple of clicks, and those of us with a CD Writer prone to failure can burn a CD image to the HDD just in case! Its so good I just ordered a copy for myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but operable, 3 Nov 2002
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
This is one of the earlier music editing programs, and offers reasonable value for money if you don't expect too much. My main use for this program is to convert old tape cassettes to CD, a task which Magix completes competently. I have also used the program for cutting music clips to fit into video projects in association with programs like Pinnacles Express video editing software. On the whole I find the program works reasonably well, it looks professonal and is multi featured, it is let down by it's inability to create a CD from within the program, even though this feature does exist. It may just be my computer having problems with the software but trying to burn directly from Magix will result in an error which ruins the CDR. I have found that I have to convert the finished project to WAV files and burn the disc from another program. Other users may not have this problem. On starting the program, the original program disc has to be placed in the Rom drive, pathetic, is the only way to describe this, as well as inconvenient. All in all a good result can be coaxed out of this program if you are prepared to put up with the niggles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Cleaning Lab, 16 Feb 2002
Louis J. Lauler (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
The product works well and is reasonably straightforward. However, the original program CD must be in the CD drive before firing it up, each time ! a real nuisance !!! The company told me that they will come up with an update to eliminate this, but could not give me a date.

4.0 out of 5 stars All fluff -- A little short on substance, 28 Jun 2002
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
I bought this, and several other audio programs in a quest for fast, simple transfer of old audio recordings to CD. Like most of the others, where ACL falls short is in its user interface. Why do these companies insist on writing software that has such a non-standard interface that it becomes difficult to use?
First, the main screen is just slightly bigger than 800X600, and on my computer, it always appears with its control menu off screen, meaning I have to hit <ALT> <space> to bring up the control menu and maximise the program to bring it back to the centre of the screen.
The main window itself can be a bit of a nightmare, because unlike all other windows programs which use combinations of <cntrl><alt> and <shift> + key for hotkeys, ACL uses just plain keys. Accidentally hitting <space> or 'a' can ruin hours of work.
Oddly, the recording dialogue is a regular windows dialogue, but it doesn't provide much information about your recording. There are two little information panels that tell you either that the sound level is optimal or that it is not, but in fact only really are saying whether the inputs are loud enough to record. On my system, the meters displayed have little to do with the suitabliity of the recording levels -- I set them by trial and error.
The track list is a horrible to work with. Again, because of the non-standard interface, it is easy to click in the wrong place while editing track names, think you are entering a song title, when in fact you are entering a whole series of hotkeys which will wreck hours of tweaking and fine-tuning.
Finally, despite having 'MP3' plastered brightly on the box and in about every second line of the list of program features, you have to pay additionally to purchase an MP3 encoder for the program. I felt tricked!
Also worth noting, the software uses a special anti-piracy lock which creates its own folder in the root directory of your computer and does so without telling you.
As for the quality of the cleaning and processing, it lags a little behind some of the other programs I've tried, but it is better and faster than most. I usually do most of my preliminary processing with ACL, then export the tracks and do the final tweaking and burning with other software.
If this software only had a standard user interface, I think it would be well worth its price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, but MP3 extra payment bit of a rip-off !, 6 Aug 2002
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
I use this mainly to record my lecture tapes that come with the part time course I am doing on to a CD. Its probably paid for itself in battery cost alone, as I take the resulting CD in to work and play on my set via headphones whilst working. However, paying extra for the MP3 is, quite frankly, nasty. I agree with the other review - its written all over the box and you don't think you have to pay again. You'd be better downloading a freeware MP3 converter from the web. Plus when I upgraded my set to XP, I had to get a new MP3 code as the product code changed, very bizarre. Help desk in Germany were helpful though in this respect. For the price the product is good value, but it needs some tweaks. Its not guaranteed to work with XP either, so you might need the more expensive new version to make sure. For my use though, its been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revitalise your LPs, 6 Nov 2001
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
This software is invaluable. It is simple to use, but does everything it says it can, and more.
Scratched LPs and bad tape recordings take on a new life and again sound like they were meant to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does its job. But a pain in the rear...., 5 Oct 2002
Martin A (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
I use this software for two purposes:
- Cleaning up and editing band reheasals ready for
transferring to CD
- Cleaning up scratchy old LPs ready to transfer to CD.
Once you figure out how it works, then it does these jobs
reasonably well.
A real pain in the rear is that it *insists* that you have its
installation CDROM in your CD drive for it to run. (Eventually
I realised you can make a virtual CD drive on a hard drive,
with the installation CDROM image and it then runs happily.
But what marketing genius could have come up with such an
irritating restriction?)
It has no recording level meter (just a go/no go indication)
which means you have to set recording levels by trial and error.
Worst of all is its awful user interface. This is so
idiosyncratic, you'll probably *never* really get used to it.

As just one example, if you click on its "scissors" box when
the "eraser" is active, it activates the scissors function. If
you click on "scissors" (by accident) when the scissors function
is already active, it transfers back to the eraser function.

It has all sorts of potentially useful features (eg "stereo
meter") but no real explanation of what this is displaying or
how the associated stereo width feature works.
But ..it was worth the money and does the job..

2.0 out of 5 stars IF ONLY YOU COULD TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, 15 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
I've bought this software through Amazon. If it did what it says on the packet it would be mind-blowing - but it doesn't. There are copious problems running it (especially, it seems, with newer O/Ses) and the technical support line, while polite, is either unhelpful or tells you to contact Germany where the software is manufactured. Hit that website and go onto the message boards to read about the problems galore!
If it did work, it would, as I say, be staggeringly good. But it doesn't... Worse, it doesn't look as if it's going to, either because technical support in England is just keen to pass on the buck to Germany or one can find nobody to give any help over the phone...

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo easy to use, 14 Mar 2002
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
I bought this as a present for my Dad. I was going to transfer some of his old vinyl onto CD. But the GUI is so easy to use that my dad is able to do all the recording, cleaning and burning himself and he's a real technophobe!
Magix Cleaning Lab is also very powerful. You can introduce different effects onto the tracks to improve the sound of the track and listen to these improvements in real time. All you need to transfer your records to CD is good hearing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Its Does What It Says On The Can", 31 Dec 2002
This review is from: Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (CD-ROM)
Much better than aticipated. The program now runs without the need to have the CD in the drive and functions perfectly. For the price this software has to be one of the best value items here.
It works as it says it should and I found it fairly easy to master. I'm still struggling with the cut feature after a few days but thats down to me I guess. I was recording within a couple of minutes of opening the box.
Highly recommended to anyone who still has a vinyl or cassette collection.

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab
Magix Audio Cleaning Lab by FastTrak (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT)
Used & New from: £2.78