5.0 out of 5 stars We do get the blues!, 21 April 2004
S M GIDDINGS (Leek, Staffordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do You Get the Blues? (Audio CD)
With this CD Jimmie Vaughan has perfected his organ trio/dirty blues sound and created one of the few albums that updates blues in a way which is worthwhile and not just an attempt to make a blues record that sells like a rock record (and in most cases sounds like one).
On the guitar, Vaughan's timing and subtle dynamics make him one of the few artists capable of pushing the genre forward in a way that doesn't stamp all over its history. His reliance on fingers>guitar>amp as his only guitar effect set him aside from a slew of blues guitarists desperate to be his late, great brother. His vocals, which started as 'acceptable' are becoming more intimate and seasoned with each outing and the addition of Lou-Ann Barton for a few songs renews a long standing musical partnership.
As ever Bill Willis and George Rains are impeccable, Bill manages to hold down the bass/organ role in the most solid way imaginable for even the ablest of multi-tasking septuagenarians. George Rains is as loose-limbed a time keeper as Fran Christina was in the T-birds, tossing aside effortless fills that most percussionists would make a meal of over practising.
In short, buy it. This is blues at its best without resurrecting Muddy et al. I don't gush over every record this way but this really is excellent so enjoy and look out for something new from Jimmie soon, its about that time again I think,
Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmie's 3rd Solo album is a laid back blues tour de force, 21 Nov 2001
Kristian Pohlmann (Düsseldorf, NRW Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do You Get the Blues (Audio CD)
Jimmie Vaughan's 3rd Solo Album is pure Jimmie. If you have his previous 2 albums, Strange Pleasure and Out There, then take the slow and laid back songs from those albums and this is what you can expect here. Smoking hot chilled Blues!
I read an interview with Jimmie somewhere and he stated that he wanted to play songs that couples can slow dance and smooch to. Well, he's done it here. The songs are excellent, the overall mood is chilled and the texas twang is apparant through out. Jimmie's vocals are good, and are complimented wonderfully by the sexy singing of Lou Ann Barton.
And the legend continues...Jimmie's son Tyrone plays rhythm on the best song "Without You" also written by Tyrone.
If there is one minor minor flaw from my first 10 listens to the album...the songs seem all too similar in tempo. I would have loved a few more up beat songs myself. But hey...5 out of 5 for Jimmie, the blues needs it legends. And he is every bit a living legend. Style wise he is like a raw BB King, laid back, no note over kill, and his vocals suit the songs perfectly.
If you are new to Jimmie, then check out Strange Pleasure first. But once you've bought one CD, you'll want all his CDs!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Brother Done Good, 3 Sep 2003
No Longer Used - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Do You Get the Blues? (Audio CD)
I’ve kind of neglected Jimmie Vaughan within my own collection, I have a couple of Fabulous Thunderbirds discs with Vaughn in the guitar chair but I bought those for Kim Wilson’s voice and the hit singles so I was surprised to hear that he’d won a Grammy for ‘Best Traditional Blues Album’ as I’d never really thought of him as a blues guitarist even when he won his first Grammy in 1990 with Stevie Ray for ‘Family Style’ I thought of him more of a rocker that was playing the crossover game (like Gary Moore at about the same time).
A couple of days later I saw him give a sparkling performance on the BBC 2 show ‘Later with Jools Holland’ and this convinced me that I should hear some more so I bought the CD the next day and to be honest I didn’t like it at all on the first play. It seemed half arsed and directionless, a real mishmash of ideas with no cohesive whole but with each subsequent play I found something new and interesting that I could get hold of and that I suppose is the beauty of a really very good recording.
I’m not sure why it won ‘BTBA’ because it’s a mix of ‘blue groove’ type instrumentals (there are three) the best being Billy Willis’s Jimmy Smith like ‘Dirty Girl’ that opens the disc, a country tinged duet, ‘Power Of Love’, with JV’s old cohort Lou Ann Barton, straight ahead blues like the excellent ‘The Deep End’ with fine slide from Vaughan and a delicate harp underpinning from James Cotton.
So ‘Traditional’ it may not be but very enjoyable it is, Vaughan has crafted a little masterpiece here every listen has further rewards the unusual sounding vocal arrangement on ‘Out Of The Shadows’ gives the impression that Lou Ann Barton and Greg Sain are the ‘Shadows’ of Vaughan’s lead, the blue funk of Jimmie & Greg Sain’s ‘Robbin’ Me Blind’ had me humming the melody for ages.
‘In The Middle of the Night’ brings Vaughan & Lou Ann Barton together with Double Trouble for a slow burn soul inflected blues that is perhaps the stand out track.
Vaughan’s guitar playing is subtle and reserved throughout but never underplayed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmie Vaughan - Getting Better With Age, 2 Aug 2002
MusicMad "1966NWT" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do You Get the Blues (Audio CD)
Jimmie Vaughan's latest release shows a man who just gets better with age. His third solo offering throws up some real beauties. Highlights for me are the acoustic showcase The Deep End and the wonderful Robbin' Me Blind. The theme of the album continues on from where Strange Pleasure and Out There left off. Jimmie does not play straight forward blues, but explores the entire genre. If he play's in a town near you, go and see him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov 2014
W. Robertson "Saving Audio" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do You Get the Blues? (Audio CD)
Great sounding c.d If you like raw guitar sound go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmie Vaughn C.D,, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Do You Get the Blues? (Audio CD)
Not the easiest of artists to get hold of a C.D. in England but this site provided me with what I wanted at a good price and delivery was prompt

Do You Get the Blues?
Do You Get the Blues? by Jimmie Vaughan (Audio CD - 2001)