Format: DVD|Change

on 13 April 2007
Even after all these years, my eldest son Christopher, who is 19, just loves this series - as does my youngest son, Charlie, who is 15.

They find the stories incredibly captivating and the excitement when the Button Moon Spaceship takes off still keeps them on the edge of their seats. The characters are priceless and the favourites still seem to be Queeny Jellie and the Sand Dancers - outside the main characters. We often get together with all their cousins and do a bit of 'sand dancing' ourselves - it just excites everyone.

Even my mother, who is 81, likes to get up in the morning, look through her telescope (into blanket sky) and see what is happening on Button Moon. If it's not the dancing blackbirds, the sand dancers, or the dancing pigs in full flow, the day just doesn't start properly.

Who needs Nintendo and all those other silly computer games, when there is Button Moon around.

Let's hope the Spoon Family keeps going forever.

We love you!

PUG-H.
on 27 November 2008
My three year old is a quiet child but every now and again I hear that countdown coming from her bedroom where she's gone to re-create what she's seen on Button Moon.

We stumbled upon a clip of this program on youtube (I'm American and never saw it as a child) and from the first moment my daughter laid eyes on that yellow Button Moon, she was transfixed. The set and puppets are ingenious because they look as if they were made from recycled products or things you can find in your own house. The "special effects" look as if there's a shaky invisible hand guiding the rocket through Blanket Sky. The story lines are simple (many based on popular fables) and make no attempt to appeal to adults in any way. It is the perfect antidote to the slick, empty tripe that makes up so much of children's programming today.

We've had this video for a year now and my daughter still loves to watch it and I don't feel guilty when she does. While it is not exactly an educational program, it seems that it was made by someone who clearly understands that children don't need flashy, chewed-up programming. And really, we do them a disservice when we offer it to them.

If you're looking for a high quality program for your toddler/preschooler, that exercises rather than dulls their imagination, well, look no further.
on 31 July 2011
I bought this dvd for my Grandson when he was 15 months old (but secretly for me as well - I remember spending many a happy hour watching Button Moon on telly with my 2 daughters in the 80's. It's a brilliant trip to the past ). At the time he was into 'mixing' with a wooden spoon and a mixing bowl, and he loved his mummy's hoover and umbrella - all of which were there on the dvd in abundance! He thought he was in heaven, bless him, and would have watched re-runs all day long if we'd let him! He still likes to watch it occasionally, in between his Superman amd Spiderman dvd's (he's 2 and a half now). He now has a baby brother who, I'm sure, will love it just as much when he is a little older!
on 12 June 2006
My two year old absolutly loves this DVD - best purchase I have ever made! He watches it from beginning to end totally transfixed. Can't believe that such simple ideas can captivate a little boys imagination so much. Definatly recommended to any mum/dad wanting peace and quiet!.
on 21 September 2012
Although I never watched Button Moon as a kid I like the series and find it very enjoyable in a quirky sort of way.
The wife and I are both big fans of Paddington Bear and we discovered Button Moon and Huxley Pig from the previews on a PB video.

Judging by all the Button Moon merchandise that abounds in today's marketplace you are left scratching your head and wondering why haven't all the 80 some-odd episodes of this ultra-cute series been released in a Box-set on DVD?

I just don't get it...like Thames TV laboriously produced an endless pile of cheap videocassettes in the 80's and 90's and now they put as little as 3 short episodes on a DVD?? C'mon blokes, the episodes are less than 10 mins long... you can do better than this!

Meanwhile, if you want more Button Moon you have dubious choices -- used tape bins, ex-rentals or worse...dodgy auction sellers selling "collectibles".

5 stars for the brilliant Button Moon series!

0 stars for Thames Television until they become serious.
on 24 May 2013
I've been a fan of Button Moon since it's airing. As a grown woman I still love to watch the feel-good episodes when I'm unwell and have a duvet day!
My nieces watch it when they come to stay and I'm proud that the programme spans generations and still brings a smile to the viewers face. With a catchy theme tune to match this is a great children's TV programme that retains it's innocent fun.
Must buy and a perfect stocking filler!
on 18 March 2013
Although the production for this series was low key and the budget small, Button moon delivers in every sense. The acting is superb, the scripts fantastic and the setting is nostalgic. The narrator captures the mood in a way that will bring a tear to your eye, setting the scene and tone for such epic stories as not seen on modern television since The Ten Commandments or Cleopatra.
The special effects were way ahead of their time, reminding me of the first time i watched Blade Runner and Star Wars.
The moonscape is beyond compare. The inside of Mr Spoons space craft looks like CGI was used but of course it didn't exist back when this was crafted
I hope there will be a remake on the cards, Anthony Hopkins would be perfect for Mr Spoon with Maggie Smith his wife (i think hugh Grant could get a cameo in one form or another).
I have looked at other sci-fi, but the starwars prequals, Aliens or Promethious do not even come close.
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2010
Bought this for my 2 year old as a bit of a rebellion against the brightly coloured, loud, fast moving children's tv show around at the moment. I wasn't entirely sure what she'd think of it as it is so different to anything that's around today. But, since the dvd popped through the door it hasn't left the player, she absolutely adores it. The dvd is simple, no added extras or special menus but you wouldn't want or expect that from a release like this. The series is nicely paced for small children, the stories are interesting and surreal but in a way that appeals to even very young children. And of course there is the added bonus that the theme tune makes me smile and if I have to watch it it doesn't drive me insane! It's more old fashioned than I remembered it being, you can see the strings on the puppets, that sort of thing but it all adds to the charm. I think this is a must for all parents driven to distraction by current offerings.
on 10 November 2010
My kids of 3 and 5 love this and the 7 year old secretly does too. I think it's fab, I remember this from my childhood so it's so lovely that I can share this with them. 10 episodes on this dvd. Excellent buy. We're off to button moon.......
on 19 January 2011
My son (2.5 yrs) loves this show. I love the inventive low-tech production, which is so much more creative than the current sterile, too-busy, rapid-fire computer animation garbage on broadcast/cable. (Which we do not have, thankfully.) The story-within-the-story is a fun element to keep the little ones' attention.

I also enjoy hearing Peter Davidson (All Creatures Great & Small, Doctor Who, Campion, & etc.)and Sandra Dickenson (Hitchhiker's Guide) on the title music. 1980 was a busy year for them!

Would love to see more children's programming like these older programs!

Thank you to Amazon.UK for sending a replacement shipment when the first never arrived! It would be helpful if there could be some way to track international shipments.