5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowing and visceral
How do you rate a really good film? For me, the litmus test is whether I'm still thinking about it days after I've watched it.
Published on 28 Oct 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Gritty Realism Ultimately Forgetable
Ameros Perros is a a film that the phrase 'gritty realism' seems made for. As a no holes barred account of life on the streets of Latin America accross three different levels of society it works well, and for two hours or so is very enjoyable.

Unfortunately, as you come towrads the end of its 156 minutes you begin to realise that you havnt so much been watching...
Published on 20 Feb 2012 by Jack Woodley

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-blowing and visceral, 28 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I originally bought this film as I am one of the few people who have only recently been made aware of the great talent of Gael Garcia Bernal. Ok, so he's quite easy on the eye, but the characters of Octavio (Gael), Valeria and Chivo take you on a rollercoaster of a ride as you follow their stories of love and the ensuing pain associated with it. Three stories beautifully written and brilliantly woven together, this film is character driven and boy do you feel you've journeyed with them.
I wholly recommend this film, there wasn't any customer review and I bought it on a whim and Im glad I did. So good, I even wrote a review about it. Muy bien!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollercoaster, 15 April 2006
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I rented this DVD to help with my Spanish studies, and because it was one of several I'd vaguely seen the name of in the media.

If I'd read the most recent reviews of it here, I probably wouldn't have watched it - and if I'd turned off in the first few minutes (as I felt like doing) because of the dog fighting, I'd have missed one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

I'm not going to break the story down for you - just to say that the negative reviews I've just read here have infuriated me into writing a note of my own. I love animals, I'm one of these idiots who ends up feeding the local strays every time I go on holiday - but not everyone does.

If you're looking for something pink and fluffy to watch, then don't watch this. It's gritty, highly moralistic but also a rollercoaster of love, lust, fear, heartbreak and adrenaline, with some fantastic, realistic characters thrown in for good measure. Try it... Next on my list are more by the same director.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I am 29 years old and have probably sat through well over 1000 films, this still sits within my top 10. Acting, pace, storyline, viewer's emotions are all stuffed hurridly into a washing machine and put into spin. The film, as is well documented, is split within 3 stories with some overt themes being shared to interconnect them. Ignore the poor reviews on amazon, I have read them all and they comprise of:

"I switched it off because of the dog-fighting". Get a grip, it's not real.
"Unrewarding blah blah" by one budding pretentious film crtic. Not high-brow enough apparently(!)

Buy it, it is a must have for anyone. Toning it down to satisfy the popcorn-Hollywood induced crowd would've ruined the films gritty, unpolished feel which heightens its realism.

The smattering of awards which 'clog up' the case are all richly deserved.

BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars Social Comment & Modern Masterpiece, 9 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is a story about pain and loss. Don't buy or rent this film if you are looking for Bridget Jones with subtitles and not one to let your teenage kids watch while you go down the pub.
The manner in which the brutality is portrayed in this film makes it horrific and demonstrates to the viewer the full consequences of the violence in a way no Hollywood film has ever done. It traces several seemingly unconnected storylines that are pulled together with ruthless vigour, leaving you stunned at the climax.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to make God laugh..., 20 Nov 2005
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
...tell Him your plans"
This phrase is uttered at an important stage of this superb film by one of the main female characters to her lover and this is the underlying theme linking together the three threads of the storyline of "Amores Perros". All of the main characters are driven off the straight and narrow path by love ,lust, jealousy and greed and their plans for the future are mocked as their lives become cursed by misfortune and tragedy.
The fulcrum of the plot of "Amores Perros" ("Love is a Bitch" or perhaps "Love is Damned" depending on your translation) is a car crash which links together three separate stories. The first story is about an affair between one brother and his brother's wife set against the vicious background of fierce dog-fights, bank robberies and car chases, the second is about an ill-fated relationship between a supermodel and an adulterous magazine editor and the third is about a former guerilla turned vagrant/assassin who lives in solitude with his dogs , traumatised by his family break-up ,focusing all his love on the daughter who has been told he is dead.
"Amores Perros" is similar in structure and atmosphere to films like "Pulp Fiction" , the "Three Colours" trilogy and "21 Grams". The cinematography and soundtrack is first rate as is the acting and characterisation. It is a very powerful, visceral film which grips the viewer throughout and I liked particularly its clever use of the "dog" symbolism , where the main characters took on the characteristics of their dogs and vice-versa. This symbolism was at its most exquisite in the second story when the model's fluffy lapdog gets trapped under the floorboards with rats, paralleling the fall from grace of its homewrecking owner. I also liked the disjointed structure of "Amores Perros" ,fluctuating around the pivotal car crash between the present, past and future ,slowly tying all the different strands of the film together. A really top quality film on all levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best films of recent times, 22 Sep 2001
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I was dragged along to the cinema by my movie fanatic friend to see this mexican film - and was suprised and rewarded by an interesting and complex character driven film. It revolves around three stories of relationships that are loosely interlinked by a car crash. The format is very similiar to that used in 'pulp fiction'. The direction, performances and script are all first class, and it hard to believe that this is a directorial debut as it is shot with such professionalism and focus. This film does have some violent sections in it, and there are scenes of viscous dog fights - though we are told that no animal was harmed during filming.
The film does have a lot to say, though I found it to have a rather bleak message overall - wherever there is love there is the possibility (more like a certainty) of pain and loss. The only flaw of this film is that it is shot so well you almost admire the craftmanship involved more than the powerful messages it also sucessfully conveys!
A film to admire and make you think - definitely a buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 7 Jun 2006
Eduardo (Bedford, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I couldn't get this movie out of my mind. The unforgetable characters meet in shocking way. At times the plot is a little confusing as it shifts from present to past and back, but I was glued to my seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good, I bought it the next day, 21 Dec 2006
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is a film that is going to get at least a few peoples backs up before they have even allowed it to get going, as it treats something in a not unsympathetic manner that most people (this reviewer included) would regard as the very definition of cruelty to animals, namely organized dog fighting. However, give it a chance and you will rapidly find yourself drawn into the worlds of a series of interconnecting characters who's dogs have much to teach them about life and love.

Directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, who followed this up with the equally critical lauded and fractured 21 Grams, this is a film in 3 acts, each act connected by a bone crunching car crash, the very start of the film. From here, by shifting backwards, forwards and sideways in time we get to see the events leading up to the car crash and the tragic fallout of the crash itself. In one car is Octavio, who has been entering his dog in the aforementioned fights in order to raise enough money so that he can run away and start a better life with his sister-in-law Susana. In the other car is Valeria and her pet pooch, a model who is fast becoming a superstar and has just moved into an apartment with her lover Daniel, who has left his wife for her. And one of the witnesses of the crash is El Chivo, a former professor turned revolutionary who is living on the streets with his pack of stray dogs following a lengthy jail term and hiring his services out as an assassin. All three of them are due to learn important lessons from their dogs.

Written by Guillerma Arraiga, who also wrote 21 Grams and the superb 3 Burials of Melquiades Estrada, this is the kind of film that Quentin Tarantino might have made Pulp Fiction into if he had been as interested in real people as he was in super-hip dialogue and interesting film-making techniques (and before you all get started, I am not saying that Pulp Fiction is a bad film). Every character, from the 3 leads to the plethora of supporting turns feels real, a flesh and blood human being with needs and fears, but of particular note must be Emilio Echevirria as El Chivo, a shaggy tramp with hidden depths and a lethal past, and Gael Garcia Benal as Octavio, the slum kid with big dreams, who is as compelling an actor as you are ever likely to see. Infused with an almost documentary style immediacy thanks to the hand held camera-work, Inarritu handles the non linear structure of the film with aplomb and verve, and can shift with ease from raw, on the streets violence to the hang-ups of the upper middle class. On the strength of this and his follow up 21 Grams he is a director to be embraced and cherished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Feb 2005
Legal Eagle (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I bought this a few years back as I wanted to aid my Spanish study. However, I absolutely loved it. I am not going to use fancy words to talk about its downfalls etc, as it doesn't require them. It is gripping, real and incredibly emotional. If you like love, violence or friendship you will find something in the film for you. The intertwining plot lines don't even confuse you, just add to the tension and interest, as with many foreign films. And even if you don't like foreign films, it'll capture you nonetheless. And from a more basic and superficial perpective: ladies; three words for you: Gael Garcia Bernal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mexican Pulp fiction Dog-drama comes good!, 15 Oct 2001
This review is from: Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I missed this at the cinema but picked it up this weekend based on a review I read and WOW, I'm glad I did!
The most obvious comparison for this movie would be a Mexican Pulp Fiction, but this films conviction lies in the characterisation of it's players, which dive deeper than the superficial types created by Tarantino.
The photography is on the whole, stunning, and you will find plenty of visceral treats on hand with the 3 stories each boasting a distinct visual style and harmony. The way the 3 stories (which at first seem unrelated) weave into one another in a disjointed fashion will keep even the most astute viewer on their toes!
As for the lambasted dog fight scenes, well I found them to be far less controversial than expected. The critics paint a very bleak image of this scenes, but Inarritu avoids showing violence in full view, instead choosing to focus on the aftermath of said fights, which shows the brutality of the 'sport' and does nothing to promote it. In fact, the dogs in the film play a huge part in defining the characters portrayed, with this becomming the running theme between each persons tale.
All in all, this was a surprisingly well told, sad, fun and realistic potrait of 3 peoples lives told in stunning form, highly recommended!!

Amores Perros [DVD] [2001]
Amores Perros [DVD] [2001] by Alejandro González Iñárritu (DVD - 2001)