Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 September 2001
Being an owner of all five albums by Jamiroquai this one sees them back to the best - This is why the repeat button was invented on CD players !! This album brushes aside 'synkronized' and shows that this band still lead the way in groove beats and matches the superb albums 'Emergency ..' and 'Travelling ...' in terms of quality. The first track 'Feel so good' is how you will be left after you are taken on a trip of tunes which blend groove/mellow/dance all into one. The album is laid out well and the best tracks or scattered throughout with no tracks which require a skip button. Track 3 'You give me something' seems to have a 'Daft Punk' synth voice influence ( which is a good thing!!)
There are some songs which stand out as real "Its a good job we dont have tapes anymore cos it would be worn out by now" .Besides 'Litte L' there is the fantastic track 4 'Corner of the Earth' which opens like a massive Bolliwood film and then chills out with Jay-Kay telling you 'this corner of the earth it smiles at me' ...and we all smile back and admire a brilliant arrangment which must challenge for the number one tune of all time. Another cracker is track 7 'Black crow' which is the only laid back tune on this disk. Only when you think it cant get better along comes track ten 'Picture of my life' which sees a simple guitar help Jay Kay reflect on things and ask for "a picture of my life with a letter telling me how it should really be instead".
This is a simply superb piece of work - this is why i wrote this review - if you havent bought it already then you are missing out. Its less of the Acid Jazz from the early days and not as angry at the world as a whole like on 'Emergency on Planet earth' although he does cast a word of warning at some of the modern inventions that so many people clamber for such as on " Twenty zero one " where he says " Don't want the sex to stop. I took a pill now its killing me to keep it up!" ...can you guess what it is yet.
Finally, i hope the next albums are as good as this one - its gonna be a hard act to follow - certainly 10 /10 , 5 stars, a hit, ........
on 28 January 2002
Poor JK, some people criticise him for leaving his nature driven, acid jazz roots, and some criticise him for repetition, surrounded by moans he just can't seem to please. I was a jamiroquai fan from the start, the unique style, modern sounding jazz stood out in the early 90s, and since original bassist Stuart Zender left those sounds have never looked like returning. The change into livelier funk-dance tunes started in Travelling Without Moving, and the evolution is still going on two albums later. But a significant improvement in modern JK (let's face it, he's pretty much a solo artist these days) is the variation in the albums. Anyone who can compare the bouncy-yet-stylish love foolosophy (best track) with the sorrow-heart-felt picture of my life or deep-bass-filled twenty zero one and say they are one and the same is either a liar or a madman.
If you are a music man who has been confined to listen to jamiroquai only on the radio, you would only be familiar with the pop/dance tunes he unearths once every year or so. I would recommend you to buy this, his most user-friendly album yet, as his first three singles are more than worth the cost on their own. Then you should buy Synkronized and work your way through five albums in reverse chronological order, and get some funk in your life!
on 12 September 2001
A sumptuous return to form, but not exactly an odyssey, since it's a mere 48 minutes long. Buy it if you're a fan, though; it's a Stevie Wonder-flavoured treat with loads of disco licks and nu-funk squelch.
on 27 September 2001
That being my first reaction after I listened to this album. One magazine described as Jay Kay's break-up album, but this goes over and above that description. One of the finest tunes I've heard in a while, "Little L" signified the return of one of the best groups of the 90's. and now the new millenium as well.
Writer's block is something I'm suffering trying to write about this album, but it sure is something Jay Kay didn't have when he came up with this beautiful collection of ethereal music.
This album has got to be one of the best albums of the year, possibly only rivaled by the Gorillaz album. Admitedly two different genres of music, but both absolute classics.
Take my advice: Buy it now, and play until you can recite the tracks, or your CD player breaks down, whichever happens first.
Then play any other albums you own and see how they pale into insignificance compared to this album. You will soon find you need no other CDs.
Until the next Jamiroquai album that is.
on 18 November 2001
A funk odyssey is the best album I have ever listened to. It has 4 of Jamiroquai's best songs ever. Little L is the best track on the album, the new single 'You give me something' is also very good and these two set the tune for the other two potential classics 'Love Foolosophy' and 'Main Vein' which as you expect from Jamiroquai, catchy, good base line and good lyrics. Every track on this album is very good but the worst song is 'Stop don't panic' it is trying to copy 'Deeper Underground' but is not as good. This album is truly a Jamiroquai Funk Odyssey.
on 7 September 2005
It took me about a year to return and think about writing a review over this album, which i consider to be the best album ever of JK - a unique representer of the funk music in the brit music scenery!! the thing is that this album concentrates hit tracks such as: "you give me something", "love foolosophy", "corner of the earth" (my favourite), "black craw", what can i say?? i can't get enough of this album listening in the car and i cant wait to order "dynamite"...
A Greek fan madly in love with JK..
on 1 August 2003
Jay Kay is back with a cd packed with great tight compact but very poppy songs. Great stuff but not a patch on his space hopping classic,"Return Of the Spacecowboy". Best tune for me is the opener which is the cd's only stab at the intergalactic space funk I have grown to love.A good addition to the collection and very easy,if a bit undemanding, to listen to.
on 15 November 2001
This is my first Jamiroquai album. I wasn't interested until he performed 'You give me something' on tv the other night and bought the album immediately. Some fan reviewers don't seem impressed but this will appeal to a much wider audience - so many stand out tracks. It's quite retro and in places almost TSOP. Getting it out of my machine could be a problem.
on 5 September 2001
I can honsetly say without doubt that this, the eagerly awaited fifth album from Jamiroquai is by far the best, and I am a huge jamiroquai fan. This album takes a step up the musical evolutionary ladder with a much more diverse range of styles incorporated together, ranging from the funk mastery of "Little L" to the soulful "Picture of My Life", highlighting the compostionary skills of lead singer JK and complementing well his amazing voice. However, my absolute favourite track has to be "Twenty Zero One", a superb dance style track featuring much darker lyrics and a really cool backing beat. So all I can say apart from that, is just buy it.
on 17 July 2006
I'm mainly into prog rock so this is a bit different for me. I bought it after hearing a couple of tracks on the radio, and didn't regret it.....It's utterly fantastic, best CD I've heard in a long time.

Get it.........it's brilliant