Format: DVD|Change

on 7 March 2002
The director of the film A Town like Alice has stayed very close to the original book by Nevil Shute. The film is packed with drama and is extremely captivating. I really enjoyed the quick pace of the first part of the film but found that the middle section was perhaps a little too slow. Other than that I think it is a brilliantly directed film. I read the book first and was worried that perhaps the film would not be in keeping with the sentiments of the book but I was very pleasntly surprised that the main characters were exactly as I had imagined them! Anybody who has read and enjoyed the book will love this film but you won't need to have read the book to find it very entertaining
on 14 January 2005
The hardship of being a prisoner of war can not be imagined, for a woman it must be a particular HELL, with the differnce of men & woman in POW camps one can not but imagin what they went thru. With this film it brings home the hardship of how the Japanese saw how woman fitted in with their ideals of the world, one can only look at this film and realy feel pity for the likes of the true persons that this film depicts.Although this film is a fictional story of women being taken prisoner by the Japanese forces during the 2nd world war, this story does have grains of truth in it.If one looks up other stories of the same elk than you will see that "The Town Like Alice" is a true story of courage of women during WAR.And yes there was no womens prisoner of war camps as sutch, not untill later in the war, women prisoners did go walk about in forced marchs from one part of the country to another with just 2 guards watching over 50 or 100 women!!. This film makes you look at women in a new light, it certainly made me see women differently after watching it!!.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2015
EXCELLENT! This is a very good adaptation of an exceptionnally brilliant novel. I liked this film a lot, even if it is absolutely heartbreaking for most of its duration. Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

In post-Second World War London, a young woman, Jean Paget (Virginia McKenna), inherits a large sum of money. Asked by her sollicitor what she wants to do with it, Jean answers "I want to go to a small village in Malaya and build a well". Seeing the surprise of the lawyer, she starts telling him the story of her tribulations in Malaya during WWII - and with this the story begins...

This is the adaptation of a wonderful novel by Nevil Shute and it follows the book quite faithfully - although only the first half of it. The main character, Jean Paget, is a genuine power woman, in the best meaning of the term - nothing to do with feminazi hysteria... She will face all the ordeals the cruel war time will throw at her with amazing strength of mind (if not always body) and a dignity which forces respect. She will also meet, in most horrible circumstances, a certain Joe Harman (Peter Finch), a guy somehow simpler than her - but if possible even more courageous and as noble as one can imagine a man. Joe and Jean story in those horrible war time will be short and ultimately simple - but as intense as possible... I will say no more about it.

This film shows well the horrible suffering of white civilians who were seized by the Japanese during WWII - however, being made in 1956, it doesn't show the worse crimes... But it is still a horrible, horrible story, which will break your heart at every step the women and children shown here make - before offering just a tiny little bit of, well, something else, just towards the end.

The fact that this film doesn't cover the second part of the book makes it almost impossible to understand why the heck the title is "A town like Alice" - but on another hand, once you watched it, you can read the book and still be impressed by it, as it contains many a treasure not treated on the screen.

The one thing I missed a lot in this film is that Joe Harman never says "Oh my word" - something that in the book is his personal version of comas and dots in almost every sentence...)))

I liked this film a lot, I was impressed by the actors, it shocked and moved me and I will definitely watch it again - and therefore this DVD is a keeper. ENJOY!
on 28 January 2013
If you are of a certain age, you will love this film. I remembered it recently from my youth and I had to have it. The film didn't dissapoint. It is very sad and shows you the inhumanity of the war in the Far East through the terrible ordeals of a few captured women and children, without ever being explicit. It also has a love story. You will cry.
on 22 July 2015
I ordered this product before Father's day, and it arrived in time for that. This is one of my husband's favourite films and I am glad I got a special edition version.
on 6 November 2013
This was purchased for an elderly friend, who had previously seen the film but wanted to revisit it. It was quite a harrowing film but well worth watching.
on 11 July 2015
I liked it only because o f the two main characters and because it was a Nevil Shute story which I read some years ago
on 5 July 2014
Top movie with an interesting additional section at the end of an interview by the Director.
on 23 April 2015
I never tire of watching this. A brilliant film. If you haven't seen it do so now!
on 6 February 2015
Item arrived in time, and was as described.