5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it,
I'm a tennis nut anyway and I love these kind of programmes - a summing up, a going back to the oldies and remembering them - totally enjoyed it.
Published on 2 Sept. 2009 by Mrs. D. M. Baillie

3.0 out of 5 stars a missed opportunity but worth buying
Published on 31 Mar. 2003 by Maurice Dockrell

3.0 out of 5 stars a missed opportunity but worth buying, 31 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Wimbledon Video Collection: A History of the Championships [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd is a missed opportunity - essentialy it comprises four episodes that were screened on the BBC during Wimbledon fortnight two years ago or so. I would have liked more concentration on great matches and rare archive material. Some of the archive material was pretty good and some rare material was discovered but there should have been more. The picture quality is superb. The narration I feel is a bit simplistic and appears to be aimed at the third form, rather than at adults. I would have liked more analysis about the playing styles of the great champions, what made them so great and what their playing weaknesses were.
The extras were a huge let down and frankly not worth having as the video clips therein were a simple repetition of material already on the dvd. The four episode format also led to some repetition and a lack of chronological continuity at times.
All in all worth having for but only as an introduction to the history of Wimbledon. A definitive dvd has yet to be made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth having for sure but rather chaotic assembly, 5 Dec. 2013
I had expected good things from this video collection. I assumed it would be chronological and I note from the other comments so did someone else. "A History of the Championships" implies that to me.

It's definitely worth having if you are interested in the past at Wimbledon - but it's decidedly flawed.

However, what it turns out to be is 4 themed videos. The first is reasonably chronological and mostly deals with the Championships up to 1953. I was disappointed that it ended the year before Drobny, one of my tennis heroes, finally won Wimbledon after several finals, but of course I assumed he'd be the first subject of the next video. Imagine my frustration as he didn't appear again until Video 4 and then only a brief screenshot of him when he'd just beaten Rosewall in 1954. The concentration of that section of the videos was on Rosewall, and the angle of that final was "The first of Rosewall's attempts to win Wimbledon, this one thwarted by some guy called Drobny, but we aren't interested in Drobny, are we........" Now Drobns WON Wimbledon after several finals and he became British not long after, so in my view he is in some ways "our" winner after Perry" and certainly in the view of so many Brits he was "our hero" and we loved him, so in my view, no matter the great Rosewall's amazing career, Drobs deserved better than to be dismissed as some guy unfortunately getting in Rosewall's way in a Wimbledon final.

I also hunted for my other tennis hero pre Federer, Ilie Nastase. It was continually said that the Wimbledon officials detested Nastase. Well I can only conclude this carries through to these videos as I cannot recall I ever managed to find Nastase on the DVD. He and Stan Smith played one of the best finals ever, 1972, a simply enthralling, close match that Ilie himself called his favourite match even though he lost. A little at least of this wonderful match should have been put into the DVD. Ilie's brilliance drew the usually phlegmatic Smith out of his *somewhat* shell and Smith became a joyous player also. Pre Federer, this is my favourite ever tennis match even though my hero Nastase lost the match. I'm sorry that the Wimbledon officials were so stuffy about naughty boy Nastase but we Brit tennis fans adored him. He was as Federer is, pure magic on court and to ignore him in a video about Wimbledon is a disgrace, especially as he has won Wimbledon doubles and Mixed.

Doubtless the compilers of these videos might follow Wimbledon officials' lead in loathing Nastase but that also diminishes that fine player and the winner Stan Smith.

I've also been waiting for years to see this glorious match on an official Wimbledon DVD. Perhaps I am waiting in vain - is it being ignored by Wimbledon?

So I found the DVD mostly enjoyable and the old archive material is precious, but there are flaws. If you want to find your favourite player, you may be very lucky and find he's a theme like Rosewall, or he appears on all 4 videos as a few do though it's not clear to me why those get preference with multiple appearances whilst others are ignored.

I think the videos should have taken all the finals in chronological order, giving us clips from all they could fit in, singles, doubles, mixed, even young players if relevant (such as any who went on to win the senior tournament) and then added other aspects where those fitted in neatly. As it is, just treat it as an archive that's in no particular order and take it comes, that's all you can do. Commence expecting to be frustrated as your favourite may never appear so if he/she does, you are lucky!

Quality and so on, fine. Worth having? Yes, for the archive material.

Perhaps it's time for a proper archive. Give us the old days in chronological order, with more video clips. And then the more recent years, AND NO THEMES!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it,, 2 Sept. 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb insight into another world, 11 Mar. 2002
Matthew David Harris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Every tennis fan should see this, history, nostalgia, emotion, a superb collection of footage that will whisk you away to another world! 4 hours of this stunning insight into the greatest championships of them all will make you want to watch it again and again. The background music is hauntingly apt at taking you back and forward thrugh time to savour the extraordinary feats of some of the worlds greatest athletes. A must for any tennis fan, great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of the Wimbledon Championships, 11 Aug. 2009
Ian Beaty "Ian" (UK) - See all my reviews
Truly excellent a must for all tennis nuts. Would be good to have a more up to date version. Also excellent value for money and delivery was more than first class!! It was delivered the next day.

The Wimbledon Video Collection: A History of the Championships [DVD]