5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Glass - emotional overdrive....
Published on 26 Sep 2002 by Mark Booth

1.0 out of 5 stars BLURAY CUT AND EDITED
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by John Hogg

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Glass - emotional overdrive...., 26 Sep 2002
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
Last night I sat and watched Breaking Glass for the first time. I have listened to and loved the album of the same name, by Hazel O'Connor for many years, but I have never had the opportunity to see it before. The album is a powerful and at times tender set of songs. While I loved them all, I have never seen them in the context in which they were intended to be shown. The album stands up very well on its own but now I have seen the film I can see where each of the tracks fits in, why they are there and to what they relate.
The film is essentially a love story set in early Thatcherite London where unemployment is skyrocketing and inner city violence and racism are getting out of hand. It charts the progress of a singer, Kate (played by Hazel O'Connor) and a 'promoter', Danny (played by Phil Daniels, Quadrophenia, Chicken Run). Danny decides that Kate is too good for the band she is with and sets about getting a new band together with him as their manager. The film progresses, as many of these rags to riches rock band stories do, with them getting gigs and eventually a recording contract. The film takes an abrupt turn though when they are sent to a big free concert called "Rock against 1984" (the film was made in 1980 and parallels between Orwell's distopian vision of the future and Thatchers Britain were common at the time). Earlier in the film Kate had caused a fight at a gig by singing an anti-rascism song in a pub full of neo-nazi skin-heads. At the concert a much larger group of skin-heads arrives and she whips up both crowds into a riot by singing the same song. She is really enjoying the buzz until a youth climbs onto their van/stage with a huge hole in his chest and she comprehends the reality of the situation. She screams in pain and we cut to a newspaper headline about his death with a photo of her agonized face. We then cut to Kate crying over her piano in the studio later, trying to sing Will You.
It is this scene that really tugs at the heart strings. It is one of the most emotional sequences I have seen in a film in many years. If I'm in a sensitive mood some films will have me welling at the eyes, but this scene had me crying and not just a little - it had tears streaming down my face, my stomach churning. It's as if all of the emotion that had been built up to this point in the film was released in one massive burst. It has probably changed the way I see "Will You", one of my favourite tracks, forever. Before it was a sad and tender love song, exploring the hesitation and anxiety of the first tender moments of love between two friends who had never admitted their love before. Now I will also see her sat crying at her piano, crying over a dead teenager she could do nothing to help.
The rest of the film shows Kate's inevitable spiral into depression and the subsequent anti-depressant abuse, the record company forcing a new producer on them, Danny being forced out, the pressures of touring and success, their compromise of their artistic integrity and culminating in Kate's breakdown after one song of her final climactic concert.
It is not an original story, but I have never seen it done quite so well before. It is an emotionally charged film, powerful performances and music which is a perfect complement. I think the album was far more successful than the film itself was and up until recently it was certainly easier to get hold of the CD than the film. For anyone who hasn't heard the album I can highly recommend it. Most people will recognise many of the tracks, even if they didn't know where they came from. Certainly the sax solos are archetypal.
All in all it was well worth watching, I haven't been this emotionally affected by a film for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful punk/rock extravaganza!, 6 Mar 2005
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
Lovely punkette chanteuse Hazel O'Connor plays a blinder in the somewhat autobiographic role of Kate, desperate to succeed, whilst maintaining her ethics, in the cut-throat music business.
Hazel's brilliant songs are enough to recommend this movie in its own right but, unlike some musicals, Breaking Glass is far more than just a vehicle to promote the artiste's work. The sense of unease stoked by the rise of neo-Nazi and anarchic groups in late 70's/early 80's urban England and the shadier side of the music industry are expertly recreated here.
Furthermore, Hazel's depiction of the roller-coaster rise to stardom, resulting in mental breakdown, is impeccably observed. Why this hugely talented woman's career as an actress never really took off is a mystery to me! She is also very ably supported by Phil Daniels, playing the role of his life and Jonathan Pryce as the sympathetic but messed-up junkie sax player.
Anyone familiar with Hazel's music (and I'm pleased to admit that I've seen her live on several occasions) will be delighted by the performances here, from the gutsy "Blackman", "Give Me an Inch" and "Writing on the Wall" to the astonishingly sensual "Will You" - surely one of the most evocative songs about love-making ever written? Her final performance of "Eighth Day" sends shivers down your spine with its intensity and the closing track - "If Only" provides an immensely powerful epilogue.
The DVD is adequately, if not spectacularly, furnished with extras (filmographies, trailer, stills etc.), but it is the sheer power of Hazel's songs that make this an indispensable purchase.
I cannot recommend this movie highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete version, 22 Nov 2002
James G. Smith (Olney, TX U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
As an American fan of this movie and of Hazel O'connor, it was a
wonderfull surprise to find out that the UK DVD release of the film contained the complete and unedited version of the film. The American release was edited by around 12 minutes or so and it was not until seeing the film in it's entirety that the true acting ability of Hazel O,Connor and the depth and complexity of the film really came through. I would highly recomend this film to anyone that has interest in the new wave/punk era, as well as to anyone who enjoys a gritty, highly emotionally charged film.
Thanks Amazon.co.uk for offering this film. It was always a movie that I liked, now it's one of my favourites.
James G. Smith
Texas, U.S.A.

1.0 out of 5 stars BLURAY CUT AND EDITED, 20 Oct 2011
John Hogg "hoggy" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
yes i was the same a friend ordered the region one normal dvd and it to has the end missing, but if you let the film play you can still hear the actual end of the film in the back ground while the titles are running,its prob more to do with u.s market they don't like un-happy endings,i sent an email to the distributor but got no reply if you want the full uk version check out ebid.com you can still get good copy's of the UK full UN-cut version with extras and fair quality many fans will be very disappointed with this expensive cut edition

5.0 out of 5 stars ** On the mark, 12 Jan 2002
Graham "Graham" (Altamonte Springs, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
Any one who went to see any new wave/Punk/second wave band between 1978 and 1983 can relate. The film although fictiion refects some of the rawness and a lot of truth about that era. it will always be a favorite of mine for that reason alone. watch out for the US version, they cut the last 10 minutes or so of the movie. total changed the context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shattering!, 28 Oct 2001
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
This is a classic hard to find film, at long last on DVD and for the first time in Wide screen format. Hazel O`Connor gives a superb performance with a Fabulous Sound track. If you saw this the first time around, you`ll want to see it again, If You didn`t, What you been doing?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it Then Love it Now, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
I remeber going to see this in my local cinema when I was at school. I thought the film was so good then but it was along time ago and my I have often wondered if the film was as good as I rememered it from 30 odd years ago (thats a frighting thought!). Well I was not dissapointed the Plot holds up well and Hazels songs are also as good today as they were then. The Dvd comes with an info booklet and a copy of the promo material at the time. Its a great film and deals with a lot of the social problems from the late seventies. I actually think being older now helped me to enjoy the film more this time then I did when I was 13/14 years old. This is also the uncut British version with the real ending not the hashed up ending that was shown in the USA.
The picture and sound quality of the DVD are fine as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 22 Oct 2001
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
I have been trying to get this on video for ages with no success thank goodness for DVD. This is a great film it has everything a great sound track and stunning performances. Hazel O'Connor is just superb. If you grew up in this era it is must. I would also recommend the cd soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving film with a classic sound track, 8 Oct 2001
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
This is a film I have loved for years and I am very happy to see it come out on DVD. It is a moving story that never fails to see me cry. It shows a lot of the attitudes of the time and has a classic sound track with something for everyone. One of the few films that my Father and myself both like. I would suggest anyone at least watch it even if they do not get their own copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars First time, 16 Dec 2012
Jonathan G. Lloyd "JOn" (Chestefield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Glass [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching this film at my local Cinema in Chesterfield and i liked it. this film made me a Hazel O'Connor fan still to this day. I still have the original Video release and have many of her albums. The current DVD release has a better picture and sound quality than the Video but is still a great film

Breaking Glass [DVD]
Breaking Glass [DVD] by Brian Gibson (DVD - 2001)
Used & New from: 29.95