Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 19 December 2002
I have the water babies since i was a verry little girl, and the story has always intrigued me. It's a great childrens film that i feel adults can also enjoy. Just one point, if you really enjoyed the film i would recommened you not to read the book. I have read it recently thanks to this film, but i discovered from the offset that the film is extremely different to the book and i cannot watch the film in the same light ever again. Overall a great film all the family will enjoy and watch over and over again.
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2008
Take a star off the rating if you didn't see this when you were a youngester is the basic truth.

I got this as it filled me with nostlagia - being shoved in front of the TV on wet winter afternoons with some buttered crumpets and my sister. We loved it.

Truth be told it's a little bit rubbish seeing it now. The live action segemts are well done and James Mason, Billie Whitelaw & Bernard Cribbins all do good jobs. The animation though is shcoking - and really, really, really hurried! The best song 'Ay Cockalorum' is reprised FOUR times!!!

Have to be brutally truthful though - it still made me grin from ear to ear. I reckon smaller children nowadays would still enjoy it too, but anyone over 8 might spot the poor production values and shoddy animation.

So fun for the very young or for those heading for memory lane.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2000
This is only the best childrens video that I have ever watched. The plot is disney, the songs are fantastic and I used to watch it every weekkend with my sister before my Mum and Dad got up! Highly recomended!
on 28 March 2011
I bought this dvd for my grandchildren as it was a strong favourite of my own children - watched repeatedly on video.
A delightful mix of live film and animation not hampered by the splendid cast. It has everything necessary to entertain and
demand repeat viewing.
Children will watch this over and over (adults will willingly sit through it, too) the best advert for any film. An afterthought - all the "new" childrens films available - How many do children return to, time and time again.
A comparatively unknown classic - awaken mums and dads - not only Disney make such films!!!
on 27 January 2013
I remember Mum bringing this home to us on VHS back in the very early 1980's, and we were all amazed as real people turned into cartoon people. I still remember feeling the magical goosebumps on my neck when this happens, even though im now approaching 40 and the animation doesnt stand up to the CGI that you see on all films and kids programmes nowadays (but give me proper animation like this any day). Fantastic movie. One that im proud to say is in my collection....
on 20 January 2010
This film is an absolute family classic, something thats been watched and loved by generations. I remember watching this as a young child and becoming completely engrossed in the animated world of the water babies and imagining being part of it. I'm glad to say that my own children have now been introduced to this underwater extraveganser of musical fantasy and they thought it was brilliant.
As they say the classics are always the best and this is no exception!!!!!
on 25 April 2014
when will this film be released for region two with English subtitles for hard of hearing please? I am trying to replace my old videos with dvds at a reasonable price but find it hard to find good copies. They are either region 1 (USA) or no subtitles or far too expensive!!
on 25 February 2010
I had a VHS recording of this which shows its age so since my girl turned 2 I showed it to her, she loves the film as I did as a kid and the DVD is exactly what I wanted. Yes the animation is dated but the story is enchanting and perfect for young children.
on 16 May 2011
This is a good story and one that exposed the plight of chimney sweeps in industrial England. how ever i was disapointed with the cartoon section, there was no feeling in it. The colour was a let down compared with the live acting etc
on 14 December 2013
Why is this enchanting British classic movie not available on DVD? Its a lovely family film featuring a stellar cast (James Mason, Billie Whitelaw). Good songs, animation sequences and perfect for a good Sunday afternoon wallow.