4.0 out of 5 stars Skillful Fun game
There is a knack to setting up this game - if you didnt master it when you were a child then there is no hope now !!
Our two year old twins have mastered it and love playing Kerplunk (though we do supervise them given the marble sizes) Unfortunately it is no longer in stock in the UK and MB games are waiting on further supplies (funny as I thought it was made in the...
Published on 24 Jun. 2010 by twin Tester

2.0 out of 5 stars not worth it
Published on 30 Dec. 2006 by duirsgrove

2.0 out of 5 stars not worth it, 30 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
I had high hopes for this game, being one of the few for the younger age range available, and to encourage family time yet I am dissapointed. It's a lot flimsier and cheaper manufacture than I expected for the name - something I might've expected if anything from a cheaper non branded version. The plastic sticks are bendy and generally too short...we spent most our time trying to get them to stay in the holes during attachment as they kept falling out. Also nothing much happens...by the time you've spent your adult time setting it up to impatient requests to begin the game then you do and it's over pretty quickly, the marbles often falling in large numbers at once down a very short slide, then to be collected by you and transferred into your area for score counting. My neice got a similar monkey version from elc and it was cheaper and no worse, and had more interest to my daughter and neices who liked the animal element. I think this toy is just for parents like myself who remember the name but in reality, as a game, it's not very good or well constructed.

1.0 out of 5 stars This game should be called "frustration", 27 Dec. 2009
P. Haynes "PHX" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
I can't understand how this game made it past the testing phase (i.e., where real kids test it). It falls to bits very easily (none of the parts click together and it relies on the players never knocking or bumping the tower, otherwise the whole thing has a tendency to collapse).

I don't know why MB can't just make a game that comes pre-assembled and works like the older versions did. Kerplunk, when assembled, only takes slightly more volume than when it's packed (except it's tall and slim, rather than wide and flat like the box). So why sell it as a flat-pack?

I'm planning on using glue to join all the bits together - hopefully that will make it less frustrating to play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly flimsy and poor quality, 21 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
As with some of the other reviewers I was disappointed with this. Its construction is flimsy, the sticks don't stay in the holes well, you have to hold the top when sticks are pulled out or it may fall over. I'm sure it's construction used to be much simpler and stronger years ago. It's not user friendly for small children which is a shame as it should be so much fun. Buy something else and have more fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
I was quite excited by the prospect of KerPlunk as I remembered it from the days when I was a child. I therefore had not opened it as it was for a present. My daughter was excited by the prospect of the game but once we opened it, it appeared quite tacky and not very easy to put together.
The marbles didn't roll down the spiral shoot as they should have and got wedged in - old version was so much better when it just fell! It was only played with on several occasions and has been put on the shelf in the bedroom - it's okay, but a bit disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars They Should Have Left It Alone, 23 Oct. 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
Just to add my tuppence worth to the list of disappointed mums and dads who've already said it all. I too loved this game as a kid back in the early 70's. It was one of the 'must have' games of that era, along with Battling Tops, Mousetrap, Etch-A-Sketch...
Now that I'm a dad myself I was really looking forward to playing some of those old classics with my own daughter (aged 6), and I thought dear old Kerplunk would be a good place to start. Easy to set up and get the hang of for a little one, and not too hard for the grown-up to lose at it deliberately, if you know what I mean.
Well, what a disappointment it turned out to be. The biggest problem with this new "improved" version is that it's SOOO fiddly and precarious to set up. Whatever you do, don't cough or sneeze while you're doing it or you'll be chasing straws and marbles all over the floor for the next ten minutes. The straws are too thin and flimsy, and the holes that you have to slide them through are too big in comparison. For every two straws you successfully slide into place, another one falls out. HOURS of fun.. :/
And the whole tower structure is just too rickety. The original version was a solid tube that slotted firmly into the base. This new self-assembly version is comprised of no fewer than six seperate pieces, every one of which adds to the difficulty of construction and is a potential weak link in the structure. Again, why? Whoever designed this should be forced to play it for all eternity with an endless succesion of impatient children..
Why oh why can't they just leave well alone?? The irony is that there are one or two innovations with this version that really MIGHT be considered improvements over the original, such as - if memory serves here, I can't be bothered to dig it out to check - three or four slightly different ways to play and score. There is a golden marble in this version that we didn't have originally; sure, it's hardly rocket science, but it's surprising how much extra that one 'special' marble can add to the game if you use a bit of imagination. And this time around, the dislodged marbles roll down a spiral chute to the bottom, rather than cascading all at once, although whether this actually adds anything to the overall Kerplunk experience is down to personal opinion.
I've given it two stars because, to be fair, we have played it a few times and my little one doesn't actually hate it. But she does get very fed up when we set it up which tends to spoil it somewhat, and I get angry just thinking about the sheer stupidity of taking a great game and turning it so needlessly from fun into a frustrating chore. Fools.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another classic game that Hasbro has ruined., 31 Dec. 2014
PD Flood (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
The game itself is classic. Insert the myriad of sticks to form a web, place the marbles on top, and in turn remove each individual straw without allowing the marbles to fall through.

However, the flimsy, poorly designed tower assembly doesn't fit together properly and easily falls over throwing the marbles all over the floor and ruining the game. This was a pain for adults playing it, never mind children! The tower also falls over when trying to insert the sticks now too. The tower also doesn't turn on it's axis any more, so any cascading marbles just fall into a narrow canal at the bottom that you have to now manually scoop out and place in your own player sector...so not for the larger handed player!

The robust, quality built game I knew as a kid has now been replaced with a tacky, cost cutting design that will probably result in the game being stuck in the loft as we can't be bothered with it. Actually, ebay might be a better idea!

I'm now off to write a review about how Hasbro has ruined Operation too......

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - shame about the quality, 27 Dec. 2006
Emma Pecorini (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
Lovely idea and we looked forward to playing it with our 4 year old. However we couldn't get it set up for the marbles to flow freely though the tubes - they "logged-jammed" in the middle due to poor fit of plastic parts.

A real disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Error with parts of game packaged, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
This game was purchased for my grandson who lives in Spain. I took the game with me when I took a flight to Gibraltar on the 21st September. We were disappointed on unpacking the box to find we could not assemble the game as a part had been wrongly packed. On the picture on the box (there were no assembly instructions) a green spiral funnel was shown into which marbles drop into a channel below. The funnel was in two parts, one with three rings and one with four rings. In our box two identical spirals had been packed both with three rings thus making it impossible to assemble and play the game. I am now home back in the UK and should be grateful if you can arrange to send me the correct part of this game which I shall then need to post on to my grandson in Spain which will involve extra expense.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money. bring back the original, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
i loved kerplunk as a child, so i bought this for my lil boy. what a waste. poor quality plastic, thin sticks slide out (no pulling required) so no suspense as to where the marbles will drop. i have to keep my hand on top of it while playing to stop the whole wobbly construct from falling over!

no directional spout so you know who gained a marble, rather a silly channel which my lil boy finds more fun spinning a marble round than playing the game.

set up time is longer than the game play as well.

look out for an original in a charity shop or carboot. much more value!

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and badly designed version of a classic, 16 Dec. 2008
C. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kerplunk Board Game (Toy)
We were bought this as a gift for my 3 and 5 year olds. Having played it as a child, I remember it with affection but have been disappointed with the latest version. The bits don't fit together very well and tend to fall apart half way through a game (INFURIATING when you've spent 13 of the advertised 15 minutes 'game time' just putting it together) The sticks are bendy and the marble run just doesn't let the marbles run freely. Overall, a real disappointment.

Kerplunk  Board Game