Format: DVD|Change

on 24 August 2001
I was always a huge fan of the Sooty Show and in particular Sweep. "Sweep Superdog" is fantastic. Watching these episodes, you realise that Sweep always got a raw deal from his peers (in particular Sue.) This DVD chronicles the strugles he must endure and overcome (such as excessive springiness) in his daily life. And the episode about his family simply brought a tear to my eye. All in all this DVD is a well deserved monument to one of the most memeorable childhood heroes of all time. A classic.
on 25 August 2002
I bought this DVD because I love Sweep, and anyone reading this review must have some affection for the little grey dog, or they wouldn't be here.
The DVD is relatively cheap, and contains 6 episodes focusing on Sweep. All of the episodes are taken from The Sooty Show, and having viewed the end credits of each of the episodes, the dates range from 1988 - 1992. You'll find that in a couple of the episodes, the Sweep puppet (puppet I hear you say?) looks a bit rubbisher than in the newer episodes.
Anyway, most of the episodes on here are great. The only bad ones in my opinion are Superdog And The Comedian and Sweep's Family. Unfortunately, there are no proper extras on the DVD, but at this price, you can't argue.
on 22 August 2003
Great Video reminds me of a lot of memories.
The best parts out of all the Sooty Programmes on this VHS/DVD were Superdog,Bouncers when Matthew tricked Sweep that Runner Beans make you bounce and Spring Greens make you spring which were very funny. Also Hot Stuff whenever Sweep saw a fire Poor Matthew got drenched.
I liked the remixed theme tunes for the opening and closing titles which were used in the final "Sooty Show" series in 1992 before it became "Sooty and Co" in 1993.
Out of Sooty's gang Sweep is the funniest out of all of them.
on 3 February 2015
My Era of Sooty featuring Matthew Corbett . . . and now I get to relive it all over again with my own children. It's true, time has moved on and the way children's programmes are made and the formats they take on have obviously changed. For better or for worse or for both? Well perhaps this is all debatable. What I do know is that My son (aged 4) enjoys watching these 80s/90s Sooty shows, as does my daughter (aged 2). I have this one on now and they won't let me switch it off!

If you're looking for some good clean family fun for younger kids, without camera angles changing every 2 seconds, endless sound FX, explosions etc. then you can't beat a bit of Sooty. Matthew Corbett is funny, too. This Dvd puts the spot-light on Sweep or 'Superdog' as he appears in one episode. You'll also get to see Sooty attack a smoke-alarm with a banana, Sue appears in each episode and is as bossy as ever and Little Cousin Scampy puts in an appearance, not to mention all of Sweep's siblings unleashing mayhem! Children entertained, and all that for 3 quid!

Can't give this any less than 5 stars.
on 15 January 2014
The Sooty Show - Sweep Superdog [DVD]My grand children [21/2 & 5 years] love Sooty and Sweep, and so do I. WE even have the puppets. Good clean enjoyable fun for children. There is good teaching in this DVD also on how children should behave and caution on playing with matches etc. Great for Grandpas!
on 8 September 2011
Sweep would easily make my top 5 greatest Britons in history so any sweep on DVD is a mandatory purchase for me, I mean my 2 year old daughter.

The only negative thing I can say about this collection is that Soo always seems to be grassing Sweep up or telling him off.
on 22 April 2010
An excellent DVD featuring five episodes from The Sooty Show - Superdog and the Comedian, Bouncers, Hot Stuff, Sweep's Family, Honking Noses, and Swinging the Lead. Three of the episodes have never before been seen on video or DVD. A must have for any Sooty fan!
on 11 April 2007
Anything where Sweep is seen and heard is worth 5 stars.

I do wish the BBC would release the vintage 60s Sooty series with Harry Corbett.

His son Mathew is very good,but I much prefer to see the more chaotic frantic politcaly in-correct early stuff from his dad.

I remember Soo had a very croaky voice in those days!

Would be good to see all 50s and 60s children/variety shows released on DVD,or give us a channel on tv that caters for such golden classics.
on 28 July 2013
I bought this for my 7year old great nephew. He as fallen in love with sooty, sweep, soo and scampi.
It's wonderful. Even after 50 years I still know exactly what sweep is saying. Love it.
on 22 June 2014
received this dvd for a surprise gift on my 50th birthday. always loved sweep and this dvd had many episodes of the superdog in action. a perfect gift for children of all ages 1-50+