• Kaya

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 March 2009
I love The Wailers, but even i'm almost getting tired of giving them 5 star reviews! In many people's eyes Kaya was seen as a drop in form after the collosal achievement that was Exodus. Let's not forget that Time magazine voted Exodus as the most important album of the 20th century. But despite not matching Exodus, Kaya is still great. Just like Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs, The Wailers often mixed love songs with "reality" themed songs. It's a shame in my view that it is mostly the love songs that are the most famous. It says it all that Legend took only 1 song from Catch A Fire, 2 from Burnin' and none from Survival. It is interesting that this album is the opposite of Exodus in that the first 5 songs are the more feel good, love songs etc and the second half has the more serious ones. It opens with the relaxed, joyous Easy Skanking and Kaya before the hit single Is This Love. This album contains a few reworkings of old songs (Kaya, Sun Is Shining and Satisfy My Soul) but unlike the few on Natty Dread for instance, the new versions can be held up to the originals. As you would expect the musicianship is outstanding and the trademark melodies are present and correct. The Wailers music attracts many different people, some really listen to the lyrics and others who just want to put it on and drift away and Kaya has songs that will suit everyone. The first half of the album is concluded by another classic love song Satisfy My Soul. But then the second half starts in sombre mood with the heartache of She's Gone and feature some of my favourite lyrics off the album.

"She had left me a note, hanging on my door
she say she couldn't take it, she couldn't
take any more
the pressure around me, just couldn't see
she felt like a prisoner, who needs to be free..."

The quality continues to the end of the album. Crisis is another of my favourites with more great lyrics from Bob.

"They say the sun, shines for all
but in some people world, it never shines at all
they say love is a stream, that will
find it's course
some people think life is a dream
so they making matters worse."

It's a beautiful song on an album full of them. If I were to try and pick standouts i'd probably end up listing half the album! What makes it even more unbelievable is that as great as Kaya is, it still doesn't make the top 5 or 6 albums by The Wailers. Those spots are fought over by (in no particular order) Soul Rebels, Soul Revolution, Catch A Fire, Burnin' Exodus, Survival and Best of The Wailers (recorded at Beverley's, produced by Leslie Kong and Warrick Lyn). The music of The Wailers is timeless and Bob Marley's lyrics will remain relevant as long as there are human beings on this planet. Bob Dylan is more poetic, Bruce Springsteen is a great storyteller, The Beatles wrote more hits but who else could say so much so simply?
on 3 August 2012
1978 album, it was in my view one of his last decent output albums. A friend was a big fan of "Exodus". He would dance to it like a pair of sledgehammers going in different directions simultaneously. I allways thought of "Exodus" as Mr Marley's stadium album. Dan Dare's dancing just confirmed it. I picked this (Kaya) up in a market without a cover. It is more personal. Some bluesy reggae songs with crooning vocal (Crisis and Running Away) make this a worthwhile purchase. Although not on the frequent play list but definately outside of the best of territory (except for "Is this Love"). There were some nice individual tracks subsequent to Kaya, but albums after this tended to have a bit too much filler for my liking. But gotta love the man. I am pleased Mr Marley graced this planet and laid down some memorable music. I have drunk deeply of his output and it is sustaining for the mind and soul. Kaya stands tall. There is some very good, understated but well executed lead guitar. Some good, if not patchy lyrics. There is the bouncey, thrashed to death "Is this Love". But as stated earlier, it has some other humdinger tracks in "She's Gone" and "Running Away". Add "Crisis" and you have a distinct sense Mr Marley-loverman might of taken a bit of a burning leading to the composition of some of these tracks. it also has "Sun is shining", there is a good cover of this by Black Uhuru on reggae compilations, and it is good to match it alongside the original. Kaya is well worth a listen and with parting with a bit of brass to add to the shelf.
Is this the best Bob Marley & The Wailers album? Well no, of course it isn`t, the best is usually whichever one you`re listening to at the time. But Kaya is most definitely a favourite of mine. From the luxury of hindsight, their records having been around now for a few decades, I`d say it`s the equal of its illustrious predecessor Exodus.
There`s something so witty and unforced about the songs. Easy Skanking is a heavenly opening track, but everyone knows the first `side` of Kaya, just like we all know and love `Side 2` of Exodus, the sunny love songs, but the later tracks on Kaya, for example Misty Morning and Time Will Tell, two of the most compelling tracks recorded by anyone at any time, are glorious, and really should be played more often on radio - they tend to only play `hits` on the radio, as if we couldn`t take tracks we haven`t heard a hundred times before - since they are all simply wonderful. They have a lovely, languid feel to them, and help to make this superb album one of the jewels in Marley`s mighty crown. It`s not `easy listening` but it sure is easy to listen to. If Burnin` is a drenching storm, and Exodus a swim in a balmy sea, Kaya is more like a shuffle through shallow breakers at the end of a hot day.
The remastered sound is clear as a bell too, one of the best reissues of its kind I`ve heard, diamond bright and crystal clear as you could wish. The whole thing sounds unimprovable.
At the moment Kaya is my favourite album by Bob Marley & The Wailers...but that could change.
Absolutely gorgeous.
on 20 May 2013
Kaya is a great album 10 out of 10,but island records are taking the total piss and greed on the Marley catalogue with this deluxe version,the live disc is total crap,its like a bad bootleg, bad sound is an understatment.I am sure if Bob Marley and his press officer Rob Partridge were still with us this would never have made the street,as all honest reviews would have been so bad it would not sell,sad to see the desperation of record companys to make money,just buy Kaya or the remastered cds,both sound great.shame on you island records.i ve never review anything before but this angered me.dont give them your money.Scottishtony.
on 23 April 2013
We get one extra track Smile Jamaica which is exactly the same as the 2001 re-release. I know of 2 very different versions of Smile Jamaica, one poppy, one melancholic so the least we could have expected would have been both versions.

Then we get Live at Ahoy Hallen as a bonus disc, 1978 tour i.e. Babylon By Bus so this is going to be the Bob tries to become an international megastar type show. I saw him in Stockholm on that tour and while being excellent wasn't a patch on the Rainbow 1977 and Crystal Palace 1980 concerts I went to.

What about all those dub, 12" extended and instrumental versions?
What an album this is!! This was the first Bob Marley album I bought in the late 70's, and it's still my favourite. Sunshine and happiness flows from every song. It's definitely a remedy for the stress of life. An elixir in vinyl!!!

What a legacy this man left and it's utterly timeless. I always struggle with the concept of someone being gifted and talented. You have to ask where this gift comes from. But, so often it's a double-edged sword. Taken from the world so young, was that the price you pay for a such gift?

This version also comes with an unbelievable Live concert, where their just having a blast. Don't hesitate in buying this album, it will reward you for the rest of your life. I had it 36 years and I still get a buzz every time I play it. One of the best album's ever made....10 STARS!!!!!
on 30 May 2013
Traditionally "Kaya" has been dismissed as being a bit of a light weight. However, it is far better than some would say and contains a number of great songs including "Satisfy my Soul", "Is This Love" and the stupendous "Time Will Tell". With an added '78 show as a bonus this is an excellent worthwhile package that sits nicely on my shelf alongside the other Marley "Deluxe Editions".
on 8 October 2001
'Kaya' has to be the album that most comprehensively demonstrates Marley's different styles. A small amount of money can give access to his best tracks. I would highly recommend that anyone beginning to explore reggae furnishes themselves with 'Kaya', it is second only to 'Exodus'. I own all Marley's albums, 'Exodus' and 'Kaya' are the best, and are essentials for any fan of reggae music.
on 30 April 2013
What the f@&§** this one should be good for?
Advertising this as a "35th-Anniversary-HeyHo" and selling it quite pricey to the public, Universal is plundering the immortal heritage of Bob Marley again! And hey, Rita, you must love this.
What do you get here?
One CD with exactly the same tracks that have been available for the last 12 years on the "Kaya" CD-album.
And one CD with a shortened live in concert recording with less-than-mediocre sound and no mastering at all.

Don't get me wrong, I L-O-V-E Bob Marley & the Wailers, and my rating is made up of five points for the music and minus ten points for calling this a "Deluxe Edition". Even the cardboard packaging is cheaper than before!
on 4 May 2013
I was really excited when I first heard about this album's deluxe edition, it is one of my favorites and I was expecting something new as the other Deluxe editions have, but big disappointment this time.

If you do not have the regular Kaya version and you do not have any live concert do not spend a minute and buy it right now, the songs are wonderful, but, if on the contrary, which is my case, you are looking for something new or rare save your money for some other albums that will bring you different points of vision of the greatest musician ever, like Songs of Freedom.

Love Kaya - Disappointed with this edition which it is not exactly as the other Deluxe editions, the package isn't as good.

Peace