on 1 July 2004
I got this album out of pure impulse after hearing the MP3 sample of "Frozen In Fear" from Century Media's webpage. It didn't disappoint.
Jag Panzer are an American power metal group, but they're not to be compared to Iced Earth, they exceed Jon Schaffer's group quite easily.
Recommended tracks on this album are: "Frozen In Fear", "The Scarlet Letter", "Hidden In My Eyes" and the ballad "All Things Renewed."
Only four stars because one or two tracks are insuperior.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2003
Imagine Iron Maiden. Now add more distortion, more riffs, take away a few galloping rhythmns, and you have Jag Panzer. I first became aware of this band around a year ago when I accidently downloaded one of their songs. I was blown away by the sheer musicality of what I heard.
The song I had downloaded was 'Power Surge' which more than lived up to its name! So, once I heard that song, I was hooked, and went and ordered the album, and again, it didn't disappoint. From songs such as 'Frozen in Fear' and 'Scarlet Letter' the band use a strong formula of power chord driven verses and racing chourus with jaw-dropping solo's, while in songs such as 'All Things Renewed', the band show a slighter softer approach to their music.
Some draw-backs to this otherwise excellent album are the rather 'underground' production values which, although undoublty meant to add a rawer edge to the music also, to me, takes away from the album. Furtherly, the clear influences from bands such as Iron Maiden and Megadeth is at times blatantly obvious raising the question of whether this band has found its own musical style yet. None the less, this album is a strong and recommendable choice for any hard rock/metal fan looking to bollster his collection.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse