5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great!
I tried not to get too expectant with this, the last James album I bought was 'Seven' which was great, but since then, though the singles have remained strong, the albums have been slightly weak.
But when I listened to this it all came back to me. James are such a great band and Tim Booth has things to say, unlike most so-called songwriters!
The hooks are...
Published on 18 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Farewell James
I was one of those people who delayed buying this album due to the critical panning this got in Q magazine. Millionaires, the previous album, in my opinion is still the best James album and is in my Top Ten albums of all time. It was such a complete album with no weak links at all, even though the album didn't sell as well as it should have. Pleased To Meet You is not as...
Published on 26 Oct 2006 by Mr. Jonathan Robin Oxley

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great!, 18 Aug 2001
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
The hooks are there, melodic choruses, everything! Tim Booth's lyrics are as descriptive and as wonderful as ever! I think it's a brilliant album.
though it's not perfect. I don't rate 'The Shining', 'Senorita' or 'What is it good for' as very much, but 10 out of 13 is not bad, today that is a superb ratio.
The highlights are of course 'Getting away with it', 'Falling down', the superb intro on 'English beefcake' makes it a good listen and 'Alaskan pipeline' is a beautiful track. There always seems to be one real gorgeous track on a James album. On 'Seven' it was 'Don't wait that long' on this album it's 'Alaskan pipeline'.
A must listen for any fans of creative and imaginative rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased to Meet You, 31 Jan 2003
T. Booth "Deuce" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
I am not joking when I say this is James' best album. This is no to say the others are bad (except Stutter, which I hate with a vengeance) but this is truly great. There are only two brilliant songs in there- the haunting 'Pleased to meet you' and the irresistible 'Getting Away with It' but it is the album construction that really hit me.
I have always been rather sceptical of the way james put together their albums- i feel that Walking the Ghost is misplaced in Gold Mother and Laid should begin with a punchier track than Out to Get You, but Pleased to Meet You is a testament to what can be achieved. If you just whack the cd straight in and listen to it, you could probably get to about track 7 (when the style begins to change) before you realise the track has changed. The songs maintain their individual identity but the album hangs together unbelievably well. Definitely worth buying, especially since its Tim Booth's last album with the band (except the live one- Getting Away with it...live, which is also excellent). His vocals aren't as pronounced as on, say, Seven, but its still a great finale to a great 20 years. Worth whatever they'll sell it to you for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb 2003
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums so far this century! The songs are wonderful and I cannot think of one that I would not rate five stars. I have listened to this music more than any other CD since I bought it a year ago.
The music is really soul-inspiring. Tim Booth's lyrics are interesting and thought-provoking, as much as any song lyrics can be. English Beefcake, for its rhythm and violin features, The Shining, Gaudi and Getting Away With It are my favourites. I played this to an American friend who loved 'Laid' and she was very disappointed to find that this was not then released in the US.
Excellent music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Triumph!, 17 July 2001
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
Don't let the disappointing chart position that Pleased to Meet You achieved put you off the latest excellent album from James. The first single, Getting Away With It (All Messed Up) received virtually no national airplay, and neither did any of the other tracks from the album, so it was no wonder that Pleased to Meet You performed poorly.
Teaming up once again with producer and long-time collaborator Brian Eno, the magnificent seven have created an album with a number of standout tracks, with a range of idea and sounds used throughout. Best on Pleased to Meet You are Senorita, Falling Down, Gaudi and the excellent Fine, which is more dance-orientated than anything that Booth and Co. have done before.
If you are a fan of the band, get this album in as it was the last record on James' current record deal with Mercury, and who knows how long it will be until the next one?

5.0 out of 5 stars This album maintains the high standard of James material..., 28 Mar 2002
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
I didn't listen to 'Pleased to Meet You' in its entirety until nearly a year after purchasing it. I tended to skip straight to 'Getting Away With It' and was less than impressed with most of the other tracks after a brief listen to the odd one every now and then.
Then I listened to the album in its entirety for the first time the other day and something amazing happened. I discovered a wealth of moving ballads, haunting melodies, and stunning vocals that I had never taken the time to listen to before.
This album rates higher in my estimation than Millionaires and is easily comparible, in terms of quality, to much of James earlier (mid-nineties) material. I expect that I will come to appreciate this album more and more every time I listen to it, but for the time being I feel that it is a return to form for a band that perhaps lost their way a little with Millionaires, but regained it with this.
Funnily enough I used this album as the example of them losing their way when I rated their greatest hits album. But now having listened to it fully I can appreciate its unique style and it really does show that a band can exist for 20 years and never find huge fame, but can continue to pump out high quality original material album after album.
My favourite tracks on this album in no particular order are as follows:
'Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)' (Classic single track)
'Space' (Interesting intro and great chorus vocals)
'English Beefcake' (Haunting vocals at the end)
'Alaskan Pipeline' (Unique and beautiful melody)
So here's to many great albums in the future, albeit without the unique vocal talents of Tim Booth, and cheers guys for keeping up the hard work - us loyal fans really appreciate it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 30 Mar 2007
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
Ive got all the previous James albums but had not heard of this one, until I went on Amazon to re-purchase Millionaires. I read the customer reviews and was a bit dubious of the praise it getting. Ive been playing it 5-6 times a day since getting it (the first time Ive done this since I was a teenager)and it gets better and better. Why this album was never given airplay, that I heard, is quite astounding. It IS their best album and Im grateful to Amazon and all the people who gave it their worthy praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album and a real grower, 27 July 2001
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
Perhaps not the most instant of James' many albums but definitely their best. Just give it 5 or 6 plays and you'll soon be singing along to the an album full of great tunes. Think this is going to be sat in the CD player for a long time.......

5.0 out of 5 stars pleasantly surprised, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
I bought this album to have the song 'getting away with it' which was one of my favorites songs ever. i was expecting to just push repeat on that song over and over again, pretty much ignoring the rest of the album. little did i know that reviews were right. this is an amazing album, filled with fantastic songs, each one standing on its own merit. where do I start? 'pleased to meet you' is the achingly emotionally rich ballad, which starts slow only to explode two-thirds down. i recommend listening to it in full blast. 'senorita' is another one that showcases tim booth's unparalleled vocals. and track 13 betters 'getting away with it'. don't think it was possible! i could go on and on, but all i will say in the end, is wait to be pleasantly surprised. james don't get any credit any longer for what a great band they are, and how many amazing songs they have in their back catalogue. if only people listened to this album. they would be immediately converted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving the Best till Last, 2 May 2004
Mr. Hugh Harkin "hugh_harkin" (Worldwide) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pleased To Meet You (Audio CD)
When this album first came out I read a terrible review of it in one of the glossy music rags. Thankfully I paid no attention and decided to make up my own mind. What I discovered was a long player brimming with melodic confidence and uncynical joy. It really is their best album - a parting shot fired at the drivel which assails us. I saw no advertising for this gem when it came out and as a result it sank without trace. Let's get a campaign going to get this album the praise it deserves.
The first 3 songs are orgasmic fruits, cherry-picked from the tree of music. I can not think of a better way to start an album. Bang! Bang! Bang! Three shots at glory fired from a magick gun. Tracks 4 and 5 slow things down and allows the listener to settle into the album. Next up we have 'The Shining' and 'Senorita' which are medium paced numbers which form the glue that holds the whole thing together. 'Gaudi' follows and lifts the mood with a driving beat and strong communal vocals. The confidence displayed on these songs is easy to explain. The bands previous album 'Millionaires' had been hailed as one of their best and enjoyed massive critical acclaim. When James went to write 'Pleased to Meet You' they must have been riding on an absolute high.
The rest of the album really continues to hit the spot although I don't really like the last song. Perhaps it is one track too long, but I am just looking for something to criticise so this review doesn't come across as being too over the top.
And what happened next? Vocalist Tim Booth left the band. I imagine he was sickened that all his effort had been met by a wall of nagativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jun 2014
love it

Pleased To Meet You
Pleased To Meet You by James (Audio CD - 2001)
Click for more info