5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Harry Potter fans !
If you've read the books then this is a must ! And if you haven't then you'll still find this a wonderful game with great graphics and interesting puzzles to solve.
Published on 20 Nov. 2001 by Sarah Rushworth (sjr@sysres.de...

2.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter came a cropper
Disappointingly short and far too easy.....
That's my opinion of this game. I had expected to find more things to investigate within the game and I certainly didn't expect to finish it so quickly. There weren't many surprises and it seemed so obvious what you were meant to do. There were no levels within the game that I had to think about. I had thought it was going...
Published on 21 Jan. 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Harry Potter fans !, 20 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone [PC CD] (Video Game)
The game follows Harry's adventures around Hogwarts as he learns new spells in order to complete certain tasks. All of the book characters play their part in the game including Harry's friends and foes. Some attempt to give Harry clues for solving tasks while others are just there to get in his way and use up all of his remaining power.
The best part is the Quidditch game - after much practice of riding your broomstick ! The speed and accuracy of the graphics here are exceptional and you really do feel like you are riding the broomstick yourself. This has to be the highlight of the game so far for me.
I have heard that JK Rowling had some input in to this game and I am sure that she did as the game plays just as I would expect having ready all of the 4 Harry Potter books. Now I'm ready for the film - providing I can tear myself away from playing the game !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game - very true to the book and the film, 20 Nov. 2001
Mr. D. Foreman (Tunbridge Wells, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is quite simply a magical game.
I have been a big fan of Harry Potter for some time and I had been looking forward to getting the game.
The characters and plot are based on the movie rather than the book, and the soundbytes are often then actual actors from the movie.
The tasks set are not too difficult so as to frustrate but are sufficiently exciting and hard so as to keep you motivated throughout.
The Quidditch is brilliant, and there is also a spin-off Quidditch league from the main menu that you can participate in if Quidditch is your preference. It takes a little getting used to being the seeker and chasing down the snitch but once you are used to it it is brilliant.
I would recommend this to anyone who is either a fan of Harry or a fan of Tomb Raider, Indiana Jones type adventure games.
From casting perfect spells to wheezing with the Weasley twins and avoiding Filch and Norris this game is absolutely 100%.
I am 27 by the way, and know that kids and adults will love it alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars JUST FANTASTIC, 21 Nov. 2001
Ms. Sarah L. Cheesman (england) - See all my reviews
Well what can I say about this game but Fantastic, brillant, In fact there are two many words to desribe this game, I loved all the books and I`m 34 so maybe a bit old but i dont care one bit, I felt like a child playing this game, and its quite hard at times, but just such great fun..Its also very much in keeping with the books you get to play with the giant chess pieces, play the flute to try to get the three headed dog asleep, but the best thing is the quiddicth macth, my goodness what great fun first of all you get to have broomstick practice , then you get to play two games where you have to cacth the golden snicth which is quite hard, but just fab fun,...You also have lots of puzzles to solve and spells to cast, you meet all the ghosts nearly headless nick, and the bloody baron ohhhhhh , And peeves the poltergeist AHHH ...And right at the end lord voldermort very scary, in fact thats the hardest bit and I have not got him yet, but I will no worrys. Also in the game you collect lots of bertie botts beans which you can trade with other students, usally the weasley twins.Also you need to find chocolate frogs if you pick them they will give you more stamina. Also in this game you have classes with Professor Quirrel(Booh) Professer snape(Booh). You also have close encounters with Draco Malfoy (Booh), And a lot more rotten characters and weird THINGS.OHHHHH... This game is the best I`ve played for a long time I love it so much and when i`ve finished I`m going to play it all over again and this time I will be a quddicth expert step aside Harry potter, the oldies are in town lol!!!!.....Bye this game now I promise you will not be dissapointed......

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne, 8 May 2002
By A Customer
This is a fantastic, brilliant software game!!! I bought it for my eldest (8) who is not very experienced at pc games and it is a bit hard for her, but she enjoys it anyway, but needs a lot of help. In hindsight I should have left it for a bit. I have to say I got totally addicted myself and I am really not into pc games at all. The graphics are superb and the accompanying music is so chilling it has the hairs standing up on the back of your neck!!..and the variety of skills and challenges is just excellent. I missed quite a few bits the first time around and am eager to do it again to improve my result in the bean collecting and wizard card stakes, so the challenge remains even when you have finished it for the first time. It was also not over too quickly like some games..it took me about 4 weeks to get through it all. Enjoyed the Quidditch matches too. Absolutely superb!!! I hope they do another one for The Chamber of Secrets!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Harry Potter fans, 2 Jan. 2002
Karen Spray (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In with the Harry Potter buzz, I bought this as soon as the game was released, I wasn't disapointed. Being a person who gets easily bored with games, I was impressed with how addictive this game is. Designed for all ages and game abilities the controls are simple and easy to use (the broomstick gets some getting used to though!!) and the graphics are impressive given the low specs it needs to run.
The spells are easy to master and that makes the game easy to complete, and once your in the swing of the game, it doesn't take much to work out what to do next.
Overall this is good game thats worth the money but don't think it'll keep you busy for too long.... But still, this game is a must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of enjoyment, 26 July 2002
Bookwurm (Sneek, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I really really enjoyed playing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone! I loved finding all the hidden wizard cards and secret areas, and went from one surprise to the next. However, what I really didn't like about the game were the endless stories between levels and at the beginning. I mean, it's nice to hear them once, but after that when you play the game again you should have the opportunity to skip over the story by pressing escape or something. That opportunity wasn't there, which was a real shame. It spoiled an otherwise fantastic game. I hope they will put that option in in the second HP game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Woo-hoo! Harry Potter comes to life addictively!, 23 Nov. 2001
Well, this game is brillant. That's all I can say!
It sticks within the confines of the book but brings new and exciting things to do as well. I love the fact that you don't actually die (after all, it's for kids and Harry is "the boy who lived"!) as, once the levels get harder, you can keep repeating them until you can complete them!
My only problem with this game was that it is so damn addictive and I actually have things to be getting on with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of Enjoyable Play!, 16 Dec. 2004
I got this game for Christmas as I was a real fan of the books and the film. After the quick and easy installation I was addicted to the PC for over 4 hours.
You are to attend different classes and then perform a cool and fun challenge for them to practise the spell. After you've completed the challenge you get a certain amount of hose points depending on how many Challenge Stars you get (these are littered all around the challenge). As well as that you play Quidditch (one of my personal highlights) and are able to hurl wizard crackers at Malfoy and chase him on your broom.
You have a few foes around the game (Fire Crabs-Scorpions which shoot fire at you to lower your energy, Orange Snails- step in their slime and this also reduces energy, Voldemort, Malfoy, Peeves the Poltergeist etc.)
As you attend about 5 lessons in the game you learn spells which help in other challenge like collecting potion ingredients for Snape, finding a Nicholas Flamel in the library avoiding Filch and the Cat, Mrs Norris.
Overall I am thrilled with the gameplay and amazed at the excellent graphics. Buy this not the Chamber of Secrets PC Game as this is the one which will conjure the most fun!
This is why It deserves 5 Stars (it's not often i give 5 stars)

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 23 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
I bought this game and played it and I was hooked from the first minute. It is so cool!!!
It starts by telling you how Harry lives with the Dursley's and how he goes to Hogwarts and then you begin playing on your first day at school.
With 25 Famous Wizard and Witch cards to collect and Bertie Botts every flavor Beans (For Fred and George's...Ahem...Experiments)This game is out of this world.
It's so cool!!!
The graphics are BRILLIANT and it handles the story line very well.
The Quidditch is easily the most enjoyable part of the Game and after you play your first match you unlock a Quidditch Leauge.
EA Games has produced an outstanding Game.
But you are supposed to read the book or see the movie before playind this as it doesn't explain about Harry and Voldemort.

5.0 out of 5 stars More fun than a dungbomb in Snapes' office, 6 July 2003
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is a surprisingly fun game, one that Potter fans of any age can enjoy. While the game can be challenging at certain points, it provides the kind of challenge that young children and those like myself (whose love for gaming is exceeded only by their general ineptitude at successfully solving and finishing them) can figure out on their own. In a couple of cases, a degree of logic must be employed that the youngest of players might not catch on to very quickly, but every thing in this game is solvable and, even better, provides a certain sense of accomplishment when you figure out how to get by a tricky obstacle. The graphics aren't spectacularly impressive for the most part, but the look and feel of the game works well in this environment and does capture a sense of the Hogwarts essence. Sure, it would be nice if the pictures on the walls of Hogwarts moved, but there are better things to do with computer memory than this.
Naturally, you assume the role of Harry Potter. Having arrived at Hogwarts, you must attend classes and learn different types of spells that will become essential over the course of the game; each class leads quickly to a course designed to test your use of the spell you have just learned. You must make things flip over or open, open magically locked doors, subdue dangerous plants, etc. Along the way, you meet up with all of your Hogwarts favorites - Dumbledore (who for some odd reason first appears wearing a set of garish glasses apparently obtained from the 1970s Elton John vintage collection), Ron, Hermione, Quirrel, Sprout, Hagrid, Snape, Filch and Mrs. Norris, etc. Fred and George are there to help you get your bearings and to provide you with the beginnings of your wizard card collection.
While the game is quite solvable, I completed several challenges only after many, many attempts. The encounters with Draco Malfoy, trying to get back Neville's Remembrall and battling it out with wizard crackers, are tough at first. I thought I would never get past the scene with the troll (partly because, for this one challenge only, your point of reference is the opposite of what you have grown accustomed to). The final battle with You-know-who is also pretty tough to complete, but nothing required more time, trial, and error than trying to catch the Golden Snitch during two Quidditch matches and snaring the flying key during the approach to the final encounter. The Quidditch matches are quite something to behold and can be quite fun, but one failed attempt after another at catching the Snitch can prove increasingly frustrating.
One drawback to this game comes from the fact that you basically know what is going to happen at the end; after all, the game follows the script of the book rather closely in a general sense. I would also like to have seen more scenes animated; certain events at the beginning and end, such as the big events in the Grand Hall, are narrated in storyboard fashion. My final small gripe concerns the cut scenes; often, when you perish and restart a challenge, you are forced to sit through the animated cut scene each and every time; when you require many attempts to complete a challenge, as I did, having to sit through these cut scenes time in and time out proves increasingly annoying. All in all, though, my criticisms detract very little from a wonderfully enjoyable game presented in the true spirit of Harry Potter and his Hogwarts environment. Even when you complete the game, there will most likely be a number of secrets left for you to discover in a brand new game.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone [PC CD]
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone [PC CD] by Electronic Arts (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / XP)