5.0 out of 5 stars Again, creepy, isn't the word
After watching the first Ring movie, I unplugged my television and made sure it stayed that way as I crawled half asleep, half spooked out of my brain into my bed. When I rented this one, I wasn't so much spooked, but creeped by the weirdness the series takes on.
Published on 3 Mar 2002 by Hedgewitch King

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Unsatisfying,..But I was still Shaking Afterwards
What can one make of this film? It is a sequel of a classic, which typically is a recipee for disaster in Hollywood, but then of course this is not Hollywood (something that made the original so wonderful). However by continuing in the vein of the creepy, underlying terror of the now classic Ringu it loses its way all too often, yet still manages to be terrifying...
Published on 23 Dec 2005 by Mr. A. E. Hall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, creepy, isn't the word, 3 Mar 2002
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
Much a direct sequel to the original, the survivors of the first movie take more of a step back, making room for new characters. As the Scream series suggested, the deaths are more elaborate and there are more of them. Don't let this spoil the movie, the flow of things more or less follows that of the first, unravelling a more complex plot that the first movie barely begins to look at. We delve into Sadako's life, afterlife and the effects the phantom video tape has on it's viewers. This is not for the weaker among us, you may be able to watch anything Hollywood churns out, but this is a whole new kettle of fish.
Just remember to unplug the TV and VCR before going to bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic installment of classic Japanese horror., 12 Aug 2001
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
Hollywood could learn a few tricks from this refreshing series of films. Not needing to rely on gore or shock tactics, the Ring films create an intense psychological drama which draws you into it's biazrre world. Watching the sequel without prior viewing of the original would probably leave you confused, as it's just not a retelling of the same story with different characters like a lot of horror series' are. It follows on almost directly from the first one and is just as engrossing. Let's hope for a UK issue of Ring 0: The Birthday!

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel that keeps the tension high, 19 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ring 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Ring was one of the most original and disturbing films I had seen in a long while. It was stylish and effective without resorting to the flashy, over-the-top tricks of the Hollywood blockbuster. Ring 2 carries on the torch admirably, although it can't quite compete with its progenitor. Continuing the story of the restless and vengeful spirit of Sadako, Ring 2 ups the ante by taking a few unexpected twists and turns. We get interesting new angles on the dominant themes of urban myth and the effect of televisual entertainment which inject the film with some fresh energy. There are several fantastically chilling scenes and overall the film is much more than just a retread of the original. Where it almost falls down is the plot itself, which at times is too stretched and convoluted. The climax is also a little over-cooked. It comes perilously close to spoiling the restrained approach so successfully used by its predecessor. But ultimately, the film is a reasonable success, managing to perpetuate the striking myth of Sadako in all its simplistic and terrifying glory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately Unsatisfying,..But I was still Shaking Afterwards, 23 Dec 2005
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
With Ringu being one of my all time favourite films and one of the greatest movie experiences of my life this film became a must-watch. Many of the original characters reappear, albeit in greatly different roles. Asakawa is on the run from the curse and Yoichi seems to poscess many of the grotesque powers of the unfortunate Sadako. Through mental hospitals and bizarre experiments a young women attempts to unravel the myth behind Ringu. If the description comes across as vague it is only because the film does as well. While the original simply took the blending of the mythological and psychological with the technical and tangible for granted, Ringu 2 tries to explore that and ultimately loses its way. The experiemt with swimming pool is frightening in its intensity although lacking in direction, and the final shot is strange and hard to explain. I am not quite sure I understand the film and it certainly deserves a second look.
Where the film succeeds is in scaring the living daylights out of you. As with its predecessor it does not do this with psychopaths hiding in the closet and cgi galore but by leaving you unnerved. I watched the film alone (the only way to watch the trilogy) and as with the first was left clutching my head and moaning, feeling like someone had planted something horrible in my head that I could not understand. What it lacks in purpose and meaning it makes up for in sheer terror a nightmarish uneasyness. No, it does not match up with the original but I am inclined to side with pennymcw's view of the film. It is definately worth watching if only for the fact that Hideo Nakata succeeds where the American remake (of which the less is said the better) and so many other conventional Hollywood films fail; by scaring you in a way that cannot be cured by stuffing your face with popcorn or switching on the lights.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still creepy, 9 Sep 2002
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
I got this after having watched the first Ring and really liking it. At the end of the first movie, there was still a lot of questions left unanswered (which was a good thing) so I guess there was enough mystery in the story to satisfy a sequel. There were a couple of weak parts to the movie (without giving away any thing let me just say: the whole scientific experiment with the water and the well climbing) but overall it was still quite creepy though not as much as the first movie. You might feel that the creepy bits were all re-uses of scenes in the first movie but it's still better than all the american "horror" movies out there. It's reasonably consistent with the first movie and doesn't particularly try to explain everything so you shouldn't be worried that it will spoil it all.
Summary: not as good as Ring 1 but well worth watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly creepy, 15 May 2002
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
I'd heard alot about the Ring series and when this film was shown on Channel 4 last night, I decided to see what the fuss was about. I wish I'd seen the first Ring before this but that can't be helped.
I decided to sit down, with the lights off and a pint. I wish I'd kept my lights on! I was shaking by the end of it, half through the sheer tenseness and half through fear.
I'm not very easily scared usually but this really hit a chord and really unsettled me. I barely got any sleep after that and, to me, that constitutes a cracking horror/chiller film!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true sequal to an original classic., 1 April 2002
L. Andrews "jointhepartyuk" (Newport, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
After watching the first film, hunting out the second was essential, and after watching it at three in the morning with all the lights out (come on guys, you need ATMOSPHERE for a film like this!) I could safely say that this is just as terrifying as the first.
There's no need to go into the plot as that is summarised in the Amazon review, but the storyline is a worthy continuation of the Ring saga, exploring new areas of horror in the realm of video technology (you will see what I mean when you see the video recording of the schoolgirl interview).
With a powerful beginning and a super-scary ending, this is an absolute must for all true horror fans. Forget gore and cheep thrills - prepare to be unsettled.
And please, set the atmosphere for yourself!

3.0 out of 5 stars Still deeply creepy, but somehow unsatisfying..., 4 May 2004
KalteStern (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
Fans of 'Ring' can be reassured that this is more of the same style; no blood or gore, not much by way of sudden shocks, but with the same skin crawling unease that so characterised the first film. There are a couple of scenes that match anything in cinema for that pure hair-rasing 'otherness' in the midst of the commonplace you find in the best ghost stories. The major flaw is that the plot doesn't really go anywhere, and although there is a partial resolution of sorts, you get the distinct feeling that the writers didn't want to tie up too many loose ends, in case another sequel was on the cards. This mars the structure of the film overall, and gives it a rather half-hearted feel. You also don't really learn much more about the back story of Sadako, despite several characters from the first film reappearing in this one. Still better by half than most pictures in this genre from Hollywood, though, and well worth a look if you enjoyed 'Ring'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor, 20 Nov 2001
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
Ring is undoubtedly the creepiest film I have ever seen, and I rented this with some trepidation. I have experienced some truly lousy sequels, but I am delighted to say this ain't one of 'em. Fantastic, VERY creepy, unsettling film. Watch Ring first for maximum viewing enjoyment...just remember to take the tape out before you go to bed.....Happy Viewing Campers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think T2, 3 Oct 2003
This review is from: Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] (DVD)
You know those rare sequels that can actually be COMPARED to the originals? Many of you may not have seen any. They are certainly few and far between. It may or may not exceed the first, but that's not what I'm arguing. The point is, if you liked the Ring, you can't miss Ring 2, I mean, after watching it, you won't sleep for a week, but who needs sleep, right?I won't give the plot away, but let's just say there will be lots of familiar faces. If you're reading this, you're obviously considering buying it, and I can't urge you strongly enough to do so. You don't even have to buy it, rent it if you must, but see this film. I might also mention that amazon.com delivered AHEAD of schedule, five days ahead, to be exact. Needless to say, after the usual waiting period for on-line orders, I was quite impressed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ring 2 [1998] [DVD]
Ring 2 [1998] [DVD] by Hideo Nakata (DVD - 2001)
2.73