5.0 out of 5 stars Aaliyah truley is 'one in a million' and will be missed
Published on 27 Aug 2001 by istillknow3@excite.com

3.0 out of 5 stars The beauty of Aaliyah lives on in our memories but this wont
Before I had this album I had wanted to buy it desperatley since the day it was released but I have to say I was thouroughly dissapointed with it's content.Most of the songs sound too similar and you begin to get really bored half way through. However there are some amazing songs on here that will I will certainly give maximum credit to. 'More than a Woman', 'We need a...
Published on 8 Sep 2002 by Aaron Thompson Wilks

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaliyah truley is 'one in a million' and will be missed, 27 Aug 2001
This review is from: AALIYAH-Aaliyah (Audio CD)
Aaliyah's untimely death on the 25th August was a complete shock to everyone. I have a lot of her music and she has a wonderful voice. I bought Aaliya's new album, and the songs are amazing. From the sassy "We need a resolution" to the amazing "U Got Nerve" left me an even bigger Aaliyah fan, and is a CD that has barely left my car. her death was a terrible shock and it was so tragic and such a waster of a beautiful talented young girl. I know Aaliyah wont be forgotten as she had the voice of an angel. If anyone hasnt got this album, then get it. Its the last songs you will hear from Aaliyah. R.I.P angel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 18 Sep 2006
Breathe Music (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aaliyah (Audio CD)
I Love Aaliyah-and this is a great album. Its not like like one in a million which i prefer, and i would have preferred a more R&B old school vibe like we are used to aaliyah doing on this album, however she was trying out different styles with this, and it kinda worked, as she moved to a more mature vibe. The wonderful 'We Need A Resolution', 'Rock The Boat' 'Try Again' 'I Care For you' and 'More Than A Woman' are all memorable and now legendary classics. I Care 4 U should have been released. Again, Timbalands legendary production has not failed to miss this album.

The only problem i have with this is a few of the songs fail to be either R&B, pop nor rock and were best being replaced with her normal style. (Eg U got Nerve and I Refuse) Music outside an artists genre never tends to go down well with the fans and the worst song on this is 'What If'. Aaliyah was a big Korn fan (a US hard rock group) and i think some of the songs had a rock feel to them.

Beautiful tracks to look out on this album are 'Whatever'-its so sweet, 'Those were the days'-upbeat and very cool, and 'Read between the lines'-a poppy upbeat song. It would have been nice to hear a song written by Aaliyah, but she knew what she did best-Sing beautifully with her distinctive breathy vocals that we shall never forget. Rest In Peace Aaliyah

Great Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaliyah-Aaliyah, 21 Feb 2006
1) We need a resolution-This is the best and most original songs on the album in my view. The lyrics are cleaver and speak from the heart. When you hear the song, you think that her voice wouldn’t sound right with it. It’s very gritty, but Aaliyah’s smooth and unique voice contrasts with this brilliantly produced beat.
2) Loose rap-When I first heard the album; this was one of my least favourite tracks on it. However, the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. The song at first is hard to follow, but it is really about how she doesn’t care what people say about her, it’s all just ‘Loose rap’.
3) Rock the boat-I really enjoying listening to this song if it’s raining, just reminds me of holidays and being in the sun. It is a very smooth and soulful song, beautify sung.
4) More than a women-There is a really interesting beat in this song that I love. It is catchy and great when you’re out. This was Aaliyah’s only U.K number 1 which she tragically was not here to celebrate.
5) Never no more- This is a very original way of creating a ballad. But again, it really works. It is sang from the heart and is overall an amazing song.
6) I care 4 U- A classic song by Aaliyah. A truly beautiful song, this to me sums up everything she was about.
7) Extra Smooth- This song has a really unusual string section played though out. It is very unique. Sounds great with her voice.
8) Read between the lines- This is a Latin based song, really stays In your head, but in a good way. It sounds quite a lot like ‘More then a women’ but is the only song that sounds like another on this album. Really interesting structure in the way it is sung. It is very jumpy but sounds great.
9) U got nerve- It has a really nice melody during the song. A very simple scale but it sounds good. Again, the way it is sung is very unusual but still works!
10) I refuse- A stunning song. So original yet so well presented. It is complete with an orchestra. This again, when heard, is a very unique way of laying out a ballad. Aaliyah’s singing ability is really shown in this song.
11) It’s Whatever- Another one of my favourites. To me this describes who Aaliyah really was. It is so graceful, so beautiful, so peaceful, and so unique. It is sung over a harsh hip-hop beat, but her voice mellows it out some how. An incredible song.
12) I can be- In this you hear where she would have headed with her next album. There is a nice guitar section in there. Really different but so good. She once said that this was one of her favourite songs off the album.
13) Those were the days- To me when I listen to this song it sounds like she is going back to the roots of her career. It sounds like something that should be on ‘One in a million’. Again, a very smooth song.
14) What If- When I first heard this song I was blown away. She completely broke the rules with this one. And I’m so glade she did. It is amazing. Again, you could see what she had planned for her next album in this song. A lot of guitars and it sounds quite dark.
15) Try again- If you don’t know Aaliyah’s music very well, you’ll defiantly know this one. Taken from the film she did with ‘Jet Lee’, ‘Romeo must die’. It is a very good song. And is one of the many highlights of her tragically short career.
Every time I listen to this album I hear something new, it is incredible. And she should be proud to have ended her career on such a good note. She will always inspire me as she broke all the conventional rules you need to follow to be an R’n’B star. She is the prime example of what you can do with your life if you try. She is and will be greatly missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars R&B Album of 2001!! NO DOUBT, 27 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: AALIYAH-Aaliyah (Audio CD)
2001 had a lot of major R & B artists releasing material - Destiny's Child, Alicia Keys, India Aire, Sunshine Anderson and Janet all had a stab at 2001 R&B album of the year, but that title has to belong to the beautiful Aaliyah. Aaliyah's 3rd studio album had a lot to live up to, especially in the wake of the recent success of the ground breaking "Try Again" (quite possibly best R&B single of all time. But this album more than lives up to it. It is definitely a grower, but after a few plays you'll be hooked. "We need a resolution" is another brilliant groundbreaking, and classy venture, under the excellent production duties of Timberland, who sadly only features on 4 tracks. But his futuristic influence is evident on highlight tracks such as the "Its whatever", "I Can Be" and "Extra Smooth". Other highlights on the album include the future single (and USA Smash hit) "Rock the Boat" the sexist record Aaliyahs ever done. Also "Loose Rap" (featuring Playa who wrote a lot of the album's material) is a funky tune. With the current success of "More than a Women" in the UK charts, I hope more people buy this album and give it the credit and acclaim it justly deserves. Honestly I have never wrote an album review in my life, and never even contemplated writing one. But I had to voice my opinion on the classic, sexy, soulful album. I only wish Aaliyah was alive to see how much love and respect the UK has for her, she truly is "One in a Million" rest in peace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking, eclectic and beautiful!, 23 Jan 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: AALIYAH-Aaliyah (Audio CD)
....this is some swansong and shows that she had the potential to become a huge star on this side of the Atlantic as well. Building on the syncopated beats of long-time collaborator Timbaland from her last groundbreaking LP, Aaliyah also roped in Macy Gray protégé Sunshine Anderson, Missy Elliott, and former Brand New Heavy Siedah Garrett, to create one of the most varied collection of urban songs of 2001.
Opening track "We Need A Resolution" is perhaps her finest moment. Swirling, eerie sounding strings and her trademark electronic beats accompanies Aaliyah's soothing vocals with compromising and thoughtful lyrics which are the complete antidote to her more feisty contemporaries.
Indeed, the quality of the first four tracks are so outstanding, there probably isn't a better start to an album from 2001. "Loose Rap", featuring a rap from Playa, with its haunting pizzicato strings, is dark yet brilliant. Laid-back "Rock The Boat" is the sexiest thing she's done and the futuristic new single "More Than A Woman" completes the trio of fantastic Timbaland tracks.
But the album isn't without its faults. And the two weakest tracks appear side by side. Missy Elliott shows that ballads aren't perhaps her strong point when it comes to songwriting with the jazz-tinged "I Care 4 U". While Never No More, influenced by the "nu-soul" sound of Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, instead just ends up sounding dull.
It's not like Aaliyah can't pull off a ballad. "It's Whatever", a gorgeous piano-led Lauryn-Hill style song, is one of the best things on the album and the dramatic, maybe "over the top" style of "I Refuse", is what an R&B song penned by Meatloaf would sound like, which isn't as bad as it sounds.
But it's the up-tempo tracks which she excels at. "You Got The Nerve" and "Read Between The Lines" are funky, even if they are a little "Destiny's Child" formulaic. And "What If" with its almost "heavy rock" electric guitar riffs, is perhaps the most bizarre R&B record of of 2001. But as alternative it may be compared to the more poppy tracks, it still sounds fantastic.
Just as the album started with one if its best songs, it also finishes with one of its best, and the record that Aaliyah will most be remembered for. Despite being nearly two years old, Try Again still sounds completely fresh and surely one of the best R&B singles in recent times. It's a perfect end to an album which despite a few hiccups, cemented Aaliyah's position as one of the innovators of contemporary popular R&B.
Best track - We Need A Resolution
Missy Elliott - So Addictive
Destiny's Child - Writing's On The Wall

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: AALIYAH-Aaliyah (Audio CD)
Usually, artists make self-titled albums for their debut album. A first chance for the world to get to know them through their music. In this album, Aaliyah has re-invented herself. The world is re-introduced to the polished and more mature Aaliyah. When you listen to this you forget she has two albums and six years in the game already. For me it was like listening to a brand new artist.

I think one word resonates with me while listening to this album. Execution. The sound engineering is on point. The lyrics are superb and the tracks feel like chapters out of a can't-put-it-down non-fiction book. It is clear that the team around her was composed of some of the most talented individuals on the planet and they had full confidence in Aaliyah's ability to put together a classic.

This is my favorite album of all time and R'n'B isn't even my thing. That's how good it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 24 Mar 2010
This review is from: Aaliyah (Audio CD)
This is such a great cd, filled with all of Aaliyah's hits, her voice is so amazing and this cd proves she was taken too soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Note To Leave On, 1 July 2006
Kat .L. "Lloyd" (Tasmania, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aaliyah (Audio CD)
After hearing "Try Again" I was hooked on Aaliyah, she was so interesting and her voice was amazing, just after "We Need A Resolution" was released I finally got the album. It was played non stop in my CD player until I heard that she had died in a plane crash...This is absolutely her best work, its just too bad that this will be the last that we will hear of her...

Buy this album you will love it and her, no doubts about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant entertainment, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: AALIYAH-Aaliyah (Audio CD)
I love this album.. my ex never returned it too me. Finally I repurchased it and am so glad to have it back in my collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone but definitely not forgotten, 17 Jan 2006
This album is simply amazing. I've had it for years but it's never far away from my stereo. Every track on this CD is outstanding and you can hear the maturity in Aaliyah's (RIP) voice and style. This album is a must for any Aaliyah or R&B fan.

AALIYAH-Aaliyah
AALIYAH-Aaliyah by Aaliyah (Audio CD)