on 13 January 2013
Our eldest son had one of these (not Melissa & Doug) when he was little and he loved it. It lasted long enough for our second son to thoroughly enjoy it too so served us very well for about 5 years and then decided it had had enough of life - fair enough! (so excellent value for a toy!)

So we put this on the wish list for our 3rd son to get for Christmas and someone kindly bought it for him.

We are EXTREMELY disappointed in the latest version of this toy - very, very poor quality especially for a Melissa & Doug toy which are always more expensive.
The holes are now made much bigger than the pegs and then a little plastic bit is put in them to supposedly hold the pegs in place and make the journey through smoother when being knocked - I like the theory but it just does not work.
In the one we have only 2 of the pegs are held in place - the holes for the 6 others are too big so the pegs fall straight through.
Not surprisingly our littlest sees no appeal in only being able to knock 2 pegs through when the others just fall through themselves so its a complete waste.
VERY VERY ANNOYED!
on 30 March 2011
This toy is educational only if an older child or an adult plays alongside a younger child and counts the pegs or names the colours. Otherwise it is "just" a great fun for any boy or girl who loves hammers, banging and making noise. I bought the toy to give my 2 year old a chance to practise precision in hand-eye coordination and in hope that he will leave daddy's real hammer alone:-). And yes to both and 5 stars to the toy!
on 28 November 2012
Melissa & Doug Pound-A-Peg

The pegs in this Pound-a-Peg just about fall through the holes, with no assistance needed from the hammer (which is used for much more creative and fun things!). There is no resistance in the holes. The toy looks nice and colourful but is badly designed and boring. My grandson used to just poke them through the holes, but even then they merely fall through. You can buy much better versions than this, I am sure. Would have asked for a refund but left it too late.

Grandma
on 12 March 2013
Ordered this for my 14 month old granddaughter. Have had a few Melissa and Doug toys before and they have always been good quality but this is absolutely rubbish. The pegs are far too small for the holes and fall straight through. Today as she got it out of her toy box the red side fell off!!! Would have returned the product but as it didn't come in a box it was too much trouble to wrap it. My husband is going to try and repair it and see if there is any way of making the holes smaller.
on 15 February 2011
Nice sturdy peg board apart from the holes are just a tad too large for the pegs so that they hammered through the holes to easily. Nice bright colours.
on 1 June 2011
I remember having one as a child. It was great fun to bash the pegs in so I bought it for my 18 month old son. The main problem with it is that the pegs can be pushed through the holes with no hammering action being needed which makes it rather pointless. Needless to say my son doesn't play with it much at all. Classic toy badly done.
on 4 March 2013
I rated this toy so low because the pegs fall out all the time even when turned the other side up . Not what I was looking for thought the pegs would stay in and then hammered through not educational at all , would not recommend to my friends ..
on 2 February 2011
This toy was difficult to purchase in a local toy shop. I found it online and ordered it but did not think it would be that good as the price was so cheap!
I was extremely surprised and happy with the product. The finish was good and it was such good value for money.
In future i will be ordering more of the Melissa & Doug toys for my grandson. If they are all like this one i will not be disappointed!
on 7 December 2010
i bought this for my friends little boy for his 1st birthday, he seemed to enjoy it very much and its very durable, and keeps his attention for enough time to sit down to have a cuppa (her words exact) x
on 26 December 2012
This is the worst peg board toy I have seen. The pegs can be easily pushed through without the hammer - in fact a couple of the pegs just drop through without a push as they are too small for the holes. There is no resistance at all to stop the pegs from falling through. This is such a badly designed toy that I am going to have to buy another one as it is not fit for purpose.