5.0 out of 5 stars Join the Mad Season!
Published on 3 Jan 2002 by A. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading!
I bought this with the assumption it was new, indeed, the nicely wrapped cellophane even had a sticker on it proclaiming 'New', so imagine my surprise to find tucked inside the sleeve notes a receipt from HMV in Hull for a Matchbox Twenty - Mad Season cd and 2 others dated 26.01.02! Not exactly new me thinks!!!
Published 3 months ago by MM68

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the Mad Season!, 3 Jan 2002
A. Williams (Blaenau Gwent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
How come no-one I talk to in this country has heard of this band? They are just so...completely mindblowing. Ever since I heard the song Mad Season I've thought this band were the greatest. The album is so good you won't want to take it off your CD player. The sound is full and luxurious and you just can't help singing along with every song. Since the CD arrived, I've had trouble doing any work while it's on. Come on all you people out there with good taste! Discover Matchbox 20's Mad Season because it can only make you stronger!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, what more can I say!, 25 Jun 2000
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
Mad Season by Matchbox Twenty is the long awaited 2nd album from Matchbox Twenty and it was well worth the wait! From the more rocky tracks of MAD SEASON and STOP to some very touching songs like REST STOP and YOU WON'T BE MINE! This album has it all!
Very different to YOSLY which shows how the guys have matured in the last 4 years!
If I have to recommend one band for success in the UK I would have to say MATCHBOX TWENTY by far! And if ever you get the chance to see them live, then take it, you won't be disappointed! Brilliant entertainers who make the music come alive!
If I could I would give this cd ********** stars! GO BUY IT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning collection of songs, 27 Jun 2005
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
If you are scanning through here at random, here is a piece of advice. BUY THIS ALBUM. It is a stunning collection of songs with some of the most cutting lyrics I have heard, written by the (then) 24/25 year old Rob Thomas. Amazing.
Take the title track. Rob exchanges throw away comments about himself, with cutting, acerbic responses. (I feel ugly ~ but I know I still turn you on...) In the midst of this he sings/shouts "why you gotta stand there looking like 'the answer' now..." I defy anyone who has experienced the pain of love to not identify with this song.
There are so many more. 'Rest Stop' is a bitter dismissal of a lover..." I was wondering what you were dreaming...it came to mind I didn't care..." Brilliant.
Buy this album. It will not be taken from your CD player in a long time

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this album be any better?!!, 12 Nov 2003
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
What a triumph!! I discovered MB20 while babysitting in a household blessed with MTV and "If You're Gone" came on, I wrote down their name on a scrap of paper - and lost it! I was mortified, needless to say I babysat again and wrote their name down once more. I scurried off to Glasgow to buy this album and shock horror the whole album is bloody brilliant! A fantastic mix of rock and ballad and Rob Thomas's voice is unique. Obviously the first couple of times I listened to it I skipped certain tracks I didn't like the name of but after sitting down and hearing the whole thing through - wow! Bed of Lies is almost poetic and the lyrics to Angry and Black and White People are thought provoking. Sensitivity and angst slammed together with ambivalent meaning, left for you to listen and decide whether its for you or not. However I can almost guarantee you'll love it or at least like it. Note: Buy their first album aswell, its just as good and you can really hear where they're coming from. On the whole a brilliant album well worth buying. Don't judge until you've heard it a few times - it'll grow on you until you can't stop playing it. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars put this in your rose garden of trust!, 2 Jun 2000
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
'Yourself ...' was always going to be a hard act to follow but Rob and the guys have pulled it out the proverbial bag. The cause is helped greatly by the fact that the first song 'Angry' is quite superb and gives the listener motivation to listen to the rest of the album. Throughout the album the melodies are flowing. Most of the songs took a couple of listens before my lugholes were overwhelmed with pleasure. 'Bent' is still holding on as my favourite but I have heard it many more times than anything else. Better or worse than 'Yourself'? Mmm, at the moment I'd have to say the first effort. A valid argument about 'Mad Season' is that the band has set out to try and please too many people and as a result maybe the album sways a little too close to mainstream. Overall I'd say that Mad Season is easier to listen to, while yourself or someone like you is a more passionate affair and has more meaning. This Album is suited to people who appreciate fine artists such as Counting Crows,Third eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls and Live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive!, 19 July 2005
F. Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
Out of the three albums that Matchbox Twenty have released, Mad Season is by far the most unique. If you have heard any of Matchbox Twenty's work before, then this album might get you thinking "Who is this? This isn't the band I know...." It is. The entire album has a both haunting and an upbeat feel to it, ranging from song to song. Some tracks get you singing along, (Mad Season, Angry, Black and White People) whilst others make you stop and think. (Bent, Bed of Lies).
Unlike most modern rock bands, Matchbox Twenty don't always use electric guitars and drum solos as their primary; they have made every song on this record special - wether it be style of guitar, vocals, different kinds instruments, or even an entire orchestra. All of the tracks are well thought out, and the sound is without a doubt outstanding. Opening up with Angry, the mood is captured by fantastic 'african'-like backing vocals, as well as a catchy tune that would get you singing along. The song that struck me the most was Bed of Lies, with a rolling drumbeat that gives the song a more emotional feel. The track Mad Season, has an outstanding yet simple 'silly' guitar riff, suiting the song perfectly. The record finishes off with the sinister tune Won't Be Mine which is accompanied by a movie like orchestra at the very end. Fantastic.
Not only are the songs outstanding, but the impressive sound effects would capture you completely. The song Angry gets blasted at full volume at home, as well as Mad Season, which always gets me singing, no matter what. This CD never sees the light of day out of my CD player. It is never out. I even know all of the words already....
Two words. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - Every song a masterpiece, 27 Aug 2002
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
This is an astonishing CD, combining the raw sound of songs such as Angry, Black And White People, Crutch, Mad Season and Stop and the beautiful melodies of If You're Gone, Rest Stop, Bed of Lies, Leave and You Won't Be Mine. Bent, Burn and Last Beautiful Girl are different again, but similarly outstanding. Each song is sung with real emotion and expession and the orchestration is fantastic. The choruses in particular show off the band's ability to write and perform wonderful songs. Don't hesitate to buy it, it will definitely be a CD that you won't get tired of.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've come undone, 20 Sep 2001
Ian S Hockley (Rayleigh, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
MB20's second album is something special. Although it concentrates less on harder rock this time it still delivers the goods. 'Crush' and 'Angry' are both fast paced while 'Mad Season' retains an aspect of tongue-in-cheek humour. The one track that sets this album apart is 'You won't be mine'. This haunting ballad heavily featuring piano solos and orchestral backing is one of the most emotionally powerful songs I have ever heard and worth the five stars alone. If it doesn't move you, check your pulse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational...masterpiece, 4 Aug 2001
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
Mad Season hasn't been out of my CD player since I bought it 3 weeks ago. It lives up to every expectation and is an outstanding follow up to 'Yourself or Someone Like You.' This album is a triple threat - fantastic, inspirational lyrics, superb tunes, and of course Rob Thomas' unbelievable voice. On top of the brill Mad Season, which is released as a single, the album is packed with amazing tracks that can be played over and over, especially Black and White People, Beautiful Girl and Angry to name but three. I love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Feb 2004
This review is from: Mad Season (Audio CD)
This has to be the best album I have listened to in a long time. It takes a couple of listens to grow on you but once you have heard it a few times you can't stop playing it. Rob Thomas has a great and unique voice. I first heard him singing the duet "smooth" with Santana and then heard "If you're gone" and was hooked. This was the first Matchbox 20 album I bought but certainly won't be the last!!! I would recommend it to anyone.

Mad Season [China Bonus Tracks]
Mad Season [China Bonus Tracks] by Matchbox Twenty (Audio CD)