on 3 July 2012
I was originally after a 28-70 2.8 d but when i found one in a local camera shop I found it incredibly heavy and not the kind of lens you could usefully have on a camera which was around your neck for any extended period. Slightly dejected I went home and searched the net for inspiration, finding a review by Ken Rockwell who recommended the 35-70mm 2.8 as a better and lighter alternative. Wow I bought one and what a great lens doing everything I want and at a constant 2.8 if required. Interestingly this lens second hand is roughly half the price of the 28-70 and is much more useable. Buy it if you see one!
on 30 October 2014
Update:3 November 2014

I can no longer extend the zoom range on this lens. For the life of my i have no idea what has happened with this lens. It will not extend beyond 50mm and it is permanently stuck.
From a personal perspective and experience, i will not be purchasing any came equipment 2nd hand unless I can inspect the goods before parting with my money.
My initial review stands, in spite of the fact that I and some success with his lens, albeit limited.
From now, I will stick to Nikon 1st generation, in the long run, it just isn't worth the aggravation.

Nikkor 35-70mm

I became attracted to this lens after reading Bryan Peterson's Field Guide on Photography. I was very excited and happy to receive this lens and considering this lens was first produced in the early 1990s it is built like a tank. On testing this lens on my D90, I was disappointed to find that many of my images had a ghost like foggy mist. After doing some research on the Internet, I discovered this particular lens is prone to ghosting and fogging due to condensation and corrosion.

I felt it worth my while to investigate having this lens serviced and repaired. I contacted a reputable Nikon specialist who deal in such matters and they confirmed my research. The breakthrough was that the lens was serviced unfortunately, due to the age of the lens many of the spare parts are no longer available and consequently I could not have this lens thoroughly repaired. Nevertheless, this lens has been serviced and cleaned to a high standard and I have to say my images are coming out absolutely perfect - I couldn't be more delighted. As a matter of fact, the lens has been performing very well since I got it back 48 hours ago.

The images, super tack sharp with a wonderful colour saturation. I have found that I have spent less time post processing than I normally would. One of the things I love about this lens is the focal length. Starting at 35mm with the additional reach up to 70mm with a constant aperture 2.8 throughout the zoom range makes this a perfect lens for street photography. Also, this lens is an FX lens and from what I discovered it weighs less than its full frame current equivalent the 24 - 70mm.

So far, so good - the more I use this lens, the more it is growing on me- it is firmly attached to my D90.

All things considered, in spite of the extra outlay for servicing this lens, I am very happy with it and I have a real sense of how popular this lens has been to many pro photographers since its initial release in the early 1990s. This lens is a piece of Nikon history and I am very happy with it.
on 26 July 2013
Despite its age, the lens was in a good cosmetic condition as well as in working one (which is the most important).
I had sent the company an email first asking about the condition and they didn't fool me..thus, I m quite satisfied...
The lens is really sharp and has an amazingly quick focus (quite noisy though).
on 10 July 2014
Does what it says on the can.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2010
this item was 100% what the seller said and
would recommend this company to anyone

See one answered question