5.0 out of 5 stars Be a part of a purist club
I've been partaking in the world of photography for 35years and when I started out, standard lenses were all f1.8 (or thereabouts) then and all but my last two camera bodies would have come with such as standard.

Published on 9 Nov. 2010 by Tim Kidner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth economising on
I've been using the 1.4 G on my D700 for a couple of years and bought this to replace it while its away for repairs.
The bokeh just isn't anyway near as creamy giving softer areas of focus a gritty feel and throwing artificial hard edges into the blur when shooting towards the light.
It is sharp however and probably has a fractionally faster focus but on the...
Published on 9 July 2012 by Max Ellis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a part of a purist club, 9 Nov. 2010
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)

I had the very capable and tiny 'pancake' f1.8 m/f Nikkor (that I can still use on my full-frame D700) but one day I just wanted handle and feel the classic 50mm Nikkor f1.4. Its use in animation and technical copying were legendary. I saw a documentary on how an older version was used on a Nikon F3 to take the stop-and-go shots on Stephen Spielberg's Raiders of the Lost Ark, before CGI.

I was going to be able to buy into an elite club of photo excellence, for a couple of hundred; a new 'D' A/F one at that.

You always know where you are with this lens. Aside of very few specialist lenses, it is the fastest ever made and the viewfinder image at night is as bright as your own vision. At ANY aperture, including wide open, you get an image bristling with detail that other lenses have to be stopped down to even approach.

With so many 'premium' standard zooms lenses these days weighing as much as the camera, this diminutive but still perfectly handling 50mm feels so refreshingly different. One almost feels liberated. People notice and often remark.

It also makes an exemplary lens for copying one's work, such as mounted prints, due to absolutely zero barrel/pincushion distortion. I've done that to upload them onto my website and for a digital record. Use at least f4 to cover depth of field of the mount. Between f4 and f6.3 the lens is also performing at its best. Add extension tubes and you get an economical but optically uncompromised macro lens. Low cost independent ones (Kenko being my choice and which I also review) are usually fine and allow full AE and often AF, too.

A possible minus point is that there is no f22 aperture. The now old type of A/F always worked fine for me - though I actually enjoy the almost tactile experience of focussing myself - but is, as you'd expect, a little noisier and slower than Nikon's latest Silent Wave Motor mechanisms.

In conclusion, this is recommended to those who feel their zoom lenses are making them lazy - and want to get back to basics and go on a kind of photographic 'retreat'. You'll respect photography as an art-form and look harder for - and at - your subjects and make your hobby less of a half-hearted chore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
I'm a professional photographer and this has been my weapon of choice for a few years now. Great for portraits as well as other stuff.
Great depth of field and fast focusing on both D300 and D700 Nikon.
Highly recommended purchase as it's quite cheap for the quality of images it produces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikkor 50mm/1.4 lens, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
I love this lens! Much better construction than the 1.8 version I previously owned. Beautiful smooth bokah, sharp as a tack. An excellent portrait lens of 75mm equivalent on my Nikon D300.
I have nothing but praise for the service I receive from Amazon UK,delivery is always on time and the prices very competitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens for the price, 7 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
Can't see the problem the previous buyer had with this lens.
Superb lens, pin sharp, F1.4 for lovely hand held low light shots.
A simple reliable lens. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic lens!!!!, 16 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
basically,i had done my reseach on nikon 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 for a month..
if u want a good prime lens, f1.8 is enough for you to choose. the pictures are sharp.but f1.4 is even sharper....
both lens are good for me, if you like long term investment I recommend f1.4...
all are depend on your pocket money...

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubted classic, 28 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
In trying to avoid a lengthy spiel, this lens is simply a must buy.
It spends most of its life attached to a D700 and never fails to produce
amazing shots. If it's between this and the F1.8 then pay a little extra.
Fast and wide open you will get shots that are impossible with bigger,
more expensive glass. Zooms are fantastic but just try a prime lens
and move yourself in and out and up and down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Prime Lens, 16 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
I am using this Nikon 50mm f/1.4D lens with my Nikon D40. Due to the lack of a focus motor on the body this lens is manual focus only, but otherwise works fine (Metering etc.). Nikon have recently released a f/1.4G model of this lens which will auto-focus on the D40/D60 and should be available around Nov-Dec 2008. Manual focus doesn't bother me so I purchased this lens rather than waiting.

Due to the cropped DX sensor on the D40, this 50mm prime gives approx. 75mm coverage, making it suitable for portraits but makes it a little tricky to get a good shot in a confined room.
As such, I contemplated getting the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Digital Lens For Nikon Mount in order to get a bit of a wider angle, but decided against due to its weight (430g, as opposed to this lens which is 230g) and price (around £100 more expensive).

I already own the Sigma DC 3,5-6,3/18-200 OS HSM for Nikon which is great as a general purpose lens; my main reason for purchasing this Nikon prime was in order to get a wider aperture (f/1.4) and sharper pictures.

At f/1.4 images can be a tad soft, but at f/1.8 (and especially around f/2-2.8) quality is superb. I'd argue that at f/1.8 the image is sharper than Nikon's other popular prime, the Nikon - AF 50mm F/1.8D Lens. The only other criticism I can find is that it can be prone to lens flare, which is possibly alleviated by getting a petal-hood for it.

Ultimately this is a great prime lens but before purchasing I'd recommend comparing and possibly considering the cheaper Nikon 50mm f/1.8D or the new 50mm f/1.4G which will autofocus on the D40/D60.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Nikon SLR owner should have this lens, 23 Sept. 2009
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
This is a wonderful lens which is great value for money. This is a great lens if you are making your first foray into prime lenses as it's such a good all rounder. If you are wondering whether to go for the 1.8 version of this lens and are not sure if the 1.4 is worth the extra - yes it is worth the extra! The gorgeous shallow depth of field, sharpness and great performance in low light make this lens a must. I am a professional wedding and portrait photographer and this lens is great for low light conditions, shallow dof shots of details and portraits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Nikon Prime, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
I bought this lens to complement a Nikon 18-200 f3.5 to 5.6 zoom. It was not a cheap addition to my D80 kit but I had some help from a retirement collection! It is great to have an f1.4 for low light portrait work, or to use as a compact general lens. At the camera's choice of f2.8, when using portrait mode, it gives good depth of field control to blur the background nicely while giving very sharp primary images. It is small, light and less conspicuous compared with it's larger sibling. One just has to get used to moving about a bit to fill the viewfinder to best effect. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast lense with super fast delivery, 12 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D Lens (Camera)
I first bought the Nikon 50mm/1.8 lense and like it so much so I returned it immediately to buy this lense instead - the even faster 50mm/1.4 lense. This lense is perfect for taking indoor portraits without flash in semi-dark conditions. I can not find any build quality issues, it is noticeable that this is not a silent motor inside but the AF is really quick.

Simply Electronics shipped this all the way from Hong Kong to UK in only 2 days, which I think is very fast. They also replied quickly when I emailed them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›