5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens on d5100
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by C A Hurley

3.0 out of 5 stars great for the money but check camera compatibility
The lens itself is fantastic, it will allow you to capture stunningly sharp focus with beautiful bokeh backgrounds and works great in low light. Beware though that the auto focus feature doesn't work with a lot of Nikon's entry level DSLRs like the 3200 so it is fairly useless for my self portrait challenge for which I purchased it : (
Published 4 months ago by Miss D

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens on d5100, 25 Aug 2011
C A Hurley (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
This is a good quality lens at an affordable price. The technology may be 20+ years old but as they say "they don't make them like they used to". The wide aperture ensures excellent depth of field control, achieving the blurred background is almost too easy. The lens performs well under reduced light, when a wide aperture is selected moderate shutter speeds are maintained reducing the likelihood of camera shake. I use this lens for portraits, landscapes and it even works well as a macro lens.

I bought this lens for Nikon D5100 and there are a few points to note. This lens will not auto focus on d3000/3100 or D5000/5100 as it has no in built motor. However enable the rangefinder function on the camera and manual focusing can be achieved quickly and accurately. Although the lens has an aperture ring, lock this at the minimum setting (f 22) before attaching the lens to the camera, and the aperture setting is controlled from the camera. Lastly due to smaller dx sensor this 50mm lens will act as a short telephoto no bad thing however you may have to zoom with your feet more.

I'll conclude by saying that this is probably the best quality and value consumer nikkor lens out there: brilliant optics, vivid colours and bokeh. If you can live with manual focus on the d3000/d5000 systems then you will not regret buying this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! AMAZING value for money!, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
I got this today from Amazon and as always delivered quickly and efficiently.

Well, I put it straight on my Nikon D7000 and tried some various shots. One thing I noticed was the sharpness of the pictures. I know there is a newer version DX "G" but for the cost of this lens (88 pounds) it is stunning value. I have the (latest) current 35mm DX f1.8 lens (at twice the price) and even though this lens is fabulous I think that this one is maybe even better!!! It focuses very quickly and smoothly too. For the money this is a fantastic lens for the D7000. It is a well balanced lens on my D7000 and would be on any D3000 to D7000 (note on the D3000,5000 series it will not autofocus) I did take off the MB 11 battery grip off after adding this lens to give the camera a better feel in my hands, it was just a little too back heavy with the grip on. I am sure the newer version is even better and from the research I have done I would say it is, but when you are paying less than 90 quid you need to buy this if you are considering a 50mm lens I doubt the new one is twice as good as the price is 100 quid more. I can't comment on the f1.4 versions but unless you really need that extra stop but pay 150 to 250 quid more then I wouldn't bother!
We are so used to having a zoom lens for convenience, I have the 16-85mm dx, 55-200mm DX (kit lens from my D5000) but you will probably keep this lens on and start to walk forwards or backwards to get the shot. Bokeh is nice too. Go out and get one and ENJOY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, 23 April 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
Agree with all that's been said. I've used this Gem of a lense on the D40 & more recently the D300. My take relates to JPEG image quality, I seldom shoot RAW mode. On either Nikon body the results are pin sharp, it's an excellent portrait lens. Close work is limited to about 2ft from the subject matter, the background blur in such circumstances is beautifully rendered. Focus is manual only on the D40, no real hassle using the focus ring until the 'focus OK' viewfinder indicator shows. The f1.8 allows freedom from flash in dim light situations, a real bonus. No issues with either build or image quality. Excellent 'bang for buck' - get a neutral filter at the same time, also good value from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential kit, 26 Aug 2007
L. Otto (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Firstly this lens is as sharp as a tack, and the image quality could not be better if they tried. If you're looking for results then you'll be hard pressed to find a better 50mm lens at ANY price.

The build quality is very plasticky. Is this a problem? No. How much rough'n'tough do you expose your equipment to on a daily basis? Besides, the compact build is so tight that I doubt this lens would break if you dropped it!

The autofocus is surprisingly loud for such a small lens, but it is snappy and always gets it right!

I'd highly recommend this lens to everyone, its a fantastic addition and at such a low price it's definitely worth more than you pay for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscover fun photography with your DSLR, 21 Sep 2008
Kevin Leah (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been seduced by ultrazoom lenses and cameras over the years and I had forgotten how good photography felt when you move you body rather than zoom in and out with your lens.

The other reviews quite rightly highlight the excellent performance of the wide range of aperture settings from 1.8 to 22 so I don't want to repeat what they have said.

I've been using my D300 with an 18-200mm lens for most of the time - occasionally swapping for a wide angle 10-20mm lens when needed. Both are fairly heavy, but very versatile. The 50mm is the first prime lens I have used since I started digital photography some 7 years ago.

My whole attitude to the subject matter changes when I can't just zoom in and out, I find myself composing much more interesting shots. This has been a great addition for my DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prime peformer, 3 Nov 2009
T. Stainer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
Photographers often get very excited about 50mm lenses.

So why the fuss about the Nikon 50mm 1.8 D AF?

Firstly, the 50mm 1.8 is a good introduction into the world of "prime" i.e. not zoom, lenses. Primes lenses are valued because there is no optical compromise made while trying to design a lens which will work at say, 16mm as well as at 85mm.

Historically prime lenses like the 50mm have been sharper and superior to zoom lenses, and come at a higher cost - especially if you have to buy two or three to get the focal flexibility a single zoom lens would cover.

But unlike many primes, the 50mm is very affordable. It's also very small and light, tucking neatly into a camera bag or pocket, meaning it's not a hassle to lug around and will always be handy.

It's light because it's mainly made from plastic, although the important thing, the mount, is hard wearing metal and the plastic is tough and feels sturdy. Plus, with a lens this small, materials are of slightly less importance.

It's size means it's very low-profile when mounted on the camera, making it a little less frightening than a big zoom lens.

Photographers also like as much light let into the camera as possible an again the 50mm gives a cheap entry into the world of "fast" lenses. The lens is certainly fast and sharp, although the wide apertures you'll be able to enjoy also sees the pay off of razor thing depth of field, so keeping focus sharp and on the right point is a challenge.

Photographers also rated 50mm lenses because on old 35mm cameras they gave a field of view about the same as the human eye. Here's where the 50mm on a digital changes things, with the crop factor of most (not full-frame) Nikons, the lens will really be a 75=88mm making it ideal as a portrait lens, but perhaps disappointing to old film photographers coming to digital.

Distortion is well controlled, as you'd expect from a prime. Sharpness, again, is excellent and it's been suggested even better than the much more expensive 1.4 D AF.

Autofocus is blisteringly fast, but noisy and perhaps because of the speed of focus, can be a bit too "torquey" and you sometimes feel the camera body shift slightly in your hand as the lens snaps into focus.

Colour rendition can surprise - and you'll occasionally get very different colours than you do from other lenses during the same shoot. This calls for good white balance discipline and perhaps just paying attention while photoshopping.

It's a shame the price of this lens has crept upwards recently, but even so, it's still a bargain (and just shows those who bought a few years ago got an even better bargain). You won't find a better or cheaper way of getting a quality Nikon prime lens which performs at this level. It should be in everyone's bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikkor Prime 50mm lens, 11 July 2012
J. M. Simpson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
I was looking to improve the depth of field in some my shots of small scale models and reading the reviews of this product thought a prime lens was the way to go. The lens I had on the camera (Nikon D40x) was the standard 18 - 55 kit lens which has done a grand job up to now.

Would the reviewers whose accounts prompted me to buy this, cheap by most standards, lens have me wasting my money? Heck no....! Because I researched first, the fact it didn't auto focus didn't trouble me at all and the work around to give the full F stop range is similarly no problem either. I am getting cracking pictures from this little beauty and have not had the kit lens on since I got the prime. I may even start playing around with raw images again.

Super buy and definitely worth the money paid.

JMS

5.0 out of 5 stars Super sharp lens for a tiny price, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
Put simply, this lens is fantastic. I have just got back from a trip to New York and decided to buy this lens for night shots, and pictures where I really wanted to control the depth of field, and at this, it excelled. It is super sharp, has excellent control over the depth of field, and is light and above all, cheap.

I shoot on a D40 which cannot Auto Focus with this lens, but this was not a problem at all, and whilst you can now get an AF-S 35mm lens which the D40 can Auto Focus, it is £90 more expensive. I also found that as I took more time thinking about each shot as I had to manually focus each time, I ended up taking better pictures, compared to ones I might rush over with an Auto Focus lens.

At f1.8 the shallow depth of field is staggering. Focus on your mouse, and the mouse mat will appear blurry, it really is that shallow! Moving up above f2.8 and above is when the lens really shines, with super sharp images, which surpass those taken on much more expensive lens.

You really cannot go wrong for the price. The only thing worth noting is that on every Nikon digital camera except the D700, and D3/D3x, you are really getting 50mm with a 1.4 crop (due to the cameras smaller DX sensor), making this a 73mm lens. If you really want something a little wider then get the more expensive 35mm AF-S f1.8.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, this lens is fantastic. If you don't have one, get one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for Nikon D3100 on Manual Focus, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
I bought this item after reading many of the reviews who all confirmed this lens works perfectly well with Nikon F mount. D3100 is Nikon F mount. However one of the review mentioned the lens works only at the lowest apperture f22 with D type camera. Hence while ordering this item I also sent an email to the seller to send the item only if it works in all f stops (ie f1.8-f22) in my camera. However without any reply the seller send the lens to me in a super fast delivery. I tested it on my camera and to my disappointment I found out that the lens works only at f22 on my D3100 (while camera is turned ON message appears asking to set the apperture to the minimum).

Correction: From further investigation in other discussion forums, I found out a way to overcome the above difficulty. You have to set the apperture ring on the lens to the minimum (i.e. f22) and lock it. If not the Camera will display warning message and will not work further. Now control the apperture from the Camera. It works fine in the range f1.8-f22. However focusing is to be done manually. With the wide open apperture this lens is a very good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value lens around, 8 May 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
£79 for this lens is a joke!!!
If it cost £250 it would still be worth it. The results are stunning. Easily better than my 18-200 Sigma in all areas(£220). Dont bother with the F1.4 version it really isnt any better. Works really well with my D80.
Very light but well built for a chinese lens. Dont let the China part put you off. My D80 is made in thailand!!
Best value lens on the market.

Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens