5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens on d5100
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by C A Hurley

3.0 out of 5 stars A Year Later
I bought this lens a year ago through Amazon. It was a lot cheaper then - the exchange rate and an eyewatering price hike has put the price up quite a bit! I'd read good reviews and got carried away by the hype, so I bought it. It is good. It performs in low light and it is sharp. It is used from time to time on my bellows unit in reversed mode as a macro lens where...
Published on 29 Aug 2009 by Undergardener

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens on d5100, 25 Aug 2011
C A Hurley (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
This is a good quality lens at an affordable price. The technology may be 20+ years old but as they say "they don't make them like they used to". The wide aperture ensures excellent depth of field control, achieving the blurred background is almost too easy. The lens performs well under reduced light, when a wide aperture is selected moderate shutter speeds are maintained reducing the likelihood of camera shake. I use this lens for portraits, landscapes and it even works well as a macro lens.

I bought this lens for Nikon D5100 and there are a few points to note. This lens will not auto focus on d3000/3100 or D5000/5100 as it has no in built motor. However enable the rangefinder function on the camera and manual focusing can be achieved quickly and accurately. Although the lens has an aperture ring, lock this at the minimum setting (f 22) before attaching the lens to the camera, and the aperture setting is controlled from the camera. Lastly due to smaller dx sensor this 50mm lens will act as a short telephoto no bad thing however you may have to zoom with your feet more.

I'll conclude by saying that this is probably the best quality and value consumer nikkor lens out there: brilliant optics, vivid colours and bokeh. If you can live with manual focus on the d3000/d5000 systems then you will not regret buying this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, 23 April 2008
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
Agree with all that's been said. I've used this Gem of a lense on the D40 & more recently the D300. My take relates to JPEG image quality, I seldom shoot RAW mode. On either Nikon body the results are pin sharp, it's an excellent portrait lens. Close work is limited to about 2ft from the subject matter, the background blur in such circumstances is beautifully rendered. Focus is manual only on the D40, no real hassle using the focus ring until the 'focus OK' viewfinder indicator shows. The f1.8 allows freedom from flash in dim light situations, a real bonus. No issues with either build or image quality. Excellent 'bang for buck' - get a neutral filter at the same time, also good value from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential kit, 26 Aug 2007
L. Otto (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Firstly this lens is as sharp as a tack, and the image quality could not be better if they tried. If you're looking for results then you'll be hard pressed to find a better 50mm lens at ANY price.

The build quality is very plasticky. Is this a problem? No. How much rough'n'tough do you expose your equipment to on a daily basis? Besides, the compact build is so tight that I doubt this lens would break if you dropped it!

The autofocus is surprisingly loud for such a small lens, but it is snappy and always gets it right!

I'd highly recommend this lens to everyone, its a fantastic addition and at such a low price it's definitely worth more than you pay for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscover fun photography with your DSLR, 21 Sep 2008
Kevin Leah (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been seduced by ultrazoom lenses and cameras over the years and I had forgotten how good photography felt when you move you body rather than zoom in and out with your lens.

The other reviews quite rightly highlight the excellent performance of the wide range of aperture settings from 1.8 to 22 so I don't want to repeat what they have said.

I've been using my D300 with an 18-200mm lens for most of the time - occasionally swapping for a wide angle 10-20mm lens when needed. Both are fairly heavy, but very versatile. The 50mm is the first prime lens I have used since I started digital photography some 7 years ago.

My whole attitude to the subject matter changes when I can't just zoom in and out, I find myself composing much more interesting shots. This has been a great addition for my DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super sharp lens for a tiny price, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
Put simply, this lens is fantastic. I have just got back from a trip to New York and decided to buy this lens for night shots, and pictures where I really wanted to control the depth of field, and at this, it excelled. It is super sharp, has excellent control over the depth of field, and is light and above all, cheap.

I shoot on a D40 which cannot Auto Focus with this lens, but this was not a problem at all, and whilst you can now get an AF-S 35mm lens which the D40 can Auto Focus, it is 90 more expensive. I also found that as I took more time thinking about each shot as I had to manually focus each time, I ended up taking better pictures, compared to ones I might rush over with an Auto Focus lens.

At f1.8 the shallow depth of field is staggering. Focus on your mouse, and the mouse mat will appear blurry, it really is that shallow! Moving up above f2.8 and above is when the lens really shines, with super sharp images, which surpass those taken on much more expensive lens.

You really cannot go wrong for the price. The only thing worth noting is that on every Nikon digital camera except the D700, and D3/D3x, you are really getting 50mm with a 1.4 crop (due to the cameras smaller DX sensor), making this a 73mm lens. If you really want something a little wider then get the more expensive 35mm AF-S f1.8.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, this lens is fantastic. If you don't have one, get one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens - my first prime, 26 Jun 2012
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
An awesome lens this is. It's my first prime lens too.

I was debating a 50mm or a 35mm prime but settled on the 50mm due to its tighter frame. I figured it'd give more of a 'challenge' to my shooting.

Having recently upgraded to full frame D800 from a lowly D40X the 50mm is wider than it would have been previously. In fact, I've been shooting with a 50-500 sigma for some time now and found it to be too tight (not to mention heavy) for street photography which I do more than any other. However, the full frame makes it a true 50mm so it's definitely a good fit now.

The sharpness, even with my exaggerated hand shake, is very good. I imagine on a tripod with a shutter release it'd be pin sharp. I was testing it out when I first got it and was shooting around the flat. I snapped a shot for depth of field comparison of the top of my computer chair and was stunned when I zoomed in to see a pin sharp hair sticking off the headrest that I didn't even see with the naked eye!

That brings me to depth of field. On this lens, it is amazing. I've always achieved this in the past partially with the zoom of other lenses. However, you don't have this luxury with a prime so have to use focus coupled with apeture.

I'm blown away with this 50mm and it is now my default walk around lens. Buy it now if you're doubting it in any way. The sharpness is better then a 1000 zoom at 50mm and you won't be disappointed.

In fact it has inspired me to seek out another prime in the future, maybe I will go for the old school 35mm next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
It's hard to come up with something that hasn't already been said about this gem of a lens but I'll try. Although I've had a Nikon DSLR for 8 years (plus bridge cameras and rangefinders before that), this is the first prime lens I have bought for mt Nikon and I couldn't have wished for a better one, especially bearing in mind how inexpensive it is (relative to its f1.4 cousin and most other quality primes for that matter) . The images are sharp and have that special something that pro photographers seem to capture in their images, I can't say exactly what it is but it's there!

This lens is a huge improvement over kit zoom lenses in terms of both build and image quality and autofocus speed is super fast.
Using a prime lens takes a little getting used to but you'll be pleased with the results when you've got everything dialled in but if you never stray from auto mode I probably wouldn't bother getting this. This is a lens for someone who understands phrases like depth of field, bokeh, EV compensation etc. and is willing to take the time to learn how to get the most from it. If you're a casual snapper who has only bought an SLR for snob value then look elsewhere because you won't see much of a difference.

In short, great lens, great price. This one's definitely a keeper.

If you're still unsure, look at Ken Rockwells '10 best Nikon lenses', guess which one is top of the list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice old type lens, 24 May 2009
P. J. Long (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
I say old type because I'm old enough to remember when all cameras came with this, or a 1.4, lens. I use a D40 and I have no problem focusing. If unsure I use the green light in the view finder to make certain. It really is, even for Nikon, sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prime peformer, 3 Nov 2009
T. Stainer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
Photographers often get very excited about 50mm lenses.

So why the fuss about the Nikon 50mm 1.8 D AF?

Firstly, the 50mm 1.8 is a good introduction into the world of "prime" i.e. not zoom, lenses. Primes lenses are valued because there is no optical compromise made while trying to design a lens which will work at say, 16mm as well as at 85mm.

Historically prime lenses like the 50mm have been sharper and superior to zoom lenses, and come at a higher cost - especially if you have to buy two or three to get the focal flexibility a single zoom lens would cover.

But unlike many primes, the 50mm is very affordable. It's also very small and light, tucking neatly into a camera bag or pocket, meaning it's not a hassle to lug around and will always be handy.

It's light because it's mainly made from plastic, although the important thing, the mount, is hard wearing metal and the plastic is tough and feels sturdy. Plus, with a lens this small, materials are of slightly less importance.

It's size means it's very low-profile when mounted on the camera, making it a little less frightening than a big zoom lens.

Photographers also like as much light let into the camera as possible an again the 50mm gives a cheap entry into the world of "fast" lenses. The lens is certainly fast and sharp, although the wide apertures you'll be able to enjoy also sees the pay off of razor thing depth of field, so keeping focus sharp and on the right point is a challenge.

Photographers also rated 50mm lenses because on old 35mm cameras they gave a field of view about the same as the human eye. Here's where the 50mm on a digital changes things, with the crop factor of most (not full-frame) Nikons, the lens will really be a 75=88mm making it ideal as a portrait lens, but perhaps disappointing to old film photographers coming to digital.

Distortion is well controlled, as you'd expect from a prime. Sharpness, again, is excellent and it's been suggested even better than the much more expensive 1.4 D AF.

Autofocus is blisteringly fast, but noisy and perhaps because of the speed of focus, can be a bit too "torquey" and you sometimes feel the camera body shift slightly in your hand as the lens snaps into focus.

Colour rendition can surprise - and you'll occasionally get very different colours than you do from other lenses during the same shoot. This calls for good white balance discipline and perhaps just paying attention while photoshopping.

It's a shame the price of this lens has crept upwards recently, but even so, it's still a bargain (and just shows those who bought a few years ago got an even better bargain). You won't find a better or cheaper way of getting a quality Nikon prime lens which performs at this level. It should be in everyone's bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 50mm f1.8d, 14 Jan 2009
Mr. Ahmad J. Zaigham "Researcher and a techni... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Camera)
This lens is brighttt...practically opens the camera to let the light in like a flood. When this lens is on the camera its difficult to resist taking pictures. Instantly the camera feels light and fast. And on a Nikon D90 body the looks are of a machine built to impress. The results come super sharp with great bokeh.

ARRAY(0xa9655330)