5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to take off your camera..!
I think the best comment I can make about this great little lens is that I have been using it for a couple of years now and it has begun to replace my 24-70/f2.8 AF-S zoom as the lens which lives on my FX Nikon for most of the time.

Published on 13 Dec 2010 by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars useful but not mandatory
Bought this for its compact size and lightweight for my d600. Expected it to be better than my 28-300 at 35mm, but not so much as you'd notice. But light and very well made - Japanese version.
Published 11 months ago by HPVEE

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to take off your camera..!, 13 Dec 2010
JK (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)

With the tiny 35mm/f2 on my Nikon, I regularly end up with better pictures than when I strap on the mighty 24-70mm/f2.8. Obviously the 24-70 allows you to zoom between a good range of focal lengths but I have found that in most situations, you can move your shooting position to compensate for this. I guess that for some subjects this is not possible, making the zoom essential.

Protrait photographs are the obvious area where one wants to stay slightly further away and use the perspective of a 70mm+ lens for best effect. In this case I would suggest a 35mm/f2 and an 85mm/f1.8 or secondhand f1.4 as a better combo than a trditional 24-70mm mid-zoom. In addition, I have found it possible to take some really nice portrait shots with the 35mm - generally full-length shots; with the f2 aperture isolating the subject nicely even at this wide-angle focal length.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the 24-70/f2.8 costs nearly FOUR TIMES as much and is a stop slower than the 35mm f2!

Optical quality of the 35mm f2 is superb, giving bright contrasty images across the whole FX frame. As mentioned above, the f2 aperture is very useable indeed. I have taken several shots where the images from the 35mm f2 are noticeably sharper than any zoom lens such as the 24-70mm.

Although an AF-D design, AF speed is extremely quick, due to the simple construction and tiny size of the lens - it's hardly ever noticeably out-paced by modern AF-S designs.

At this price tag, there are no real down sides to this lens and, as several reviewers have confirmed, it can represent something of a do-it-all lens for many photographers. If you regularly need to go very wide, zoom in way past 70mm or photograph where your viewpoint cannot change, then you may make the call differently...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon AF-D 35mm f2, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
Really pleased that I bought this lens. On my D300 it is effectively a classis portrait lens which I have used over the last Xmas period for the ubiquitous indoor family shots and also outdoors in the snow. The wide aperture really helped indoors and it really feels like a quality lens rather than a cheap lump of plastic. I love using the manual focusing as the action is silky smooth.
Didn't realise at the time of purchase that it didn't come with a lens hood and bag. The Nikon recommended items on the box are the HN-3 hood and CL-0715 bag. Subsequently bought these separately but I have to say that I have found the hood pretty useless at preventing flare and it is too big to fit into the bag. I have measured the lens hood at approx. 74mm diameter so if you want both, I would suggest you buy a larger bag accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect prime lens, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
This is the only prime lens I own on my Nikon D50 and I've always been very happy with it. Small, light, well built and very sharp.

It's great for portrait pics. With the crop factor of digital SLRs of 1.5, it works out the equivalent of being around 53mm in old 35mm terms - a great length for portraits. That's also why I favoured this over the (admittedly much cheaper) 50mm f1.8 lens (the crop factor for which makes it more like a 75mm lens - a bit too much of a telephoto, especially indoors).

I'm happy shooting this wide open at f2. Contrast goes down when using it wide open but for me, that is offset by the lovely shallow depth of field and the ability to use in low light.

Probably also useful to know that as of a few months ago, there is now a new Nikon prime (the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S) that comes with AFS (meaning it will auto-focus on Nikon cameras that don't have the internal screw drive, i.e. D40, D40X, D60, D5000).

This lens model here, however, does not have AFS and will not auto-focus on the above mentioned cams, but will on other Nikon dSLRs that have the screw mechanism in the body (like my old D50).

All in all a great prime and no downsides I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased!, 1 July 2011
William Marshall (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
It was because of the glowing reviews of this lens that I was persuaded to buy it. They were not wrong! Very sharp and very fast... in fact the kind of performance I hope for when I buy a lens costing many times more! What a little gem! I'm well impressed! Get one of these.... you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
Sharp , contrasty, and lovely shallow depth of field at wide apertures. A delight after using a cheap kit zoom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little lense, 18 April 2009
Max Ellis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
A great little all round lense, I bought I because I got sick of lugging around my 17-55 and found 50mm lenses a bit to long on my D300.
Amazing clarity up around f4. Terrific for close up work as well.
I found the build a bit disappointing and theres much more play in the focusing ring than I'd expect but it doesn't seem to affect results. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at nearly all apertures, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
I use this lens with a D90. I bought it as the 50mm 1.8D is a bit limited on a DX format camera if you are only carrying one lens. I chose it over the supposedly excellent 35mm 1.8G as I am looking to move to FX format in the future. The lens is a D lens which means it can only auto focus on a camera with an in body focus motor. I would rate its performance as good on the D90, fairly quick focus, good contrast and at any aperture of f2.8 and higher, excellent sharpness. Below f2.8 there is a noticeable drop off in sharpness hence the dropped star. If it was as sharp at f2 as it is at f4 it would be 5 star+. Other points of note are that it is well built, noticeably more solid than the 50mm f1.8D and is the easiest lens to manually focus I have used. The front glass element is very close to the front of the lens so I would suggest a filter is purchased with it to avoid damage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little lens., 13 July 2014
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
This is a super little lens for the money, wide enough angle to be useful. The usual build quality of the Nikkor lens is very good, its robust enough to use regularly with no visible detriment, I have had this a fair while now, it still looks like new and works a treat with very fast focus times. This lens lets in a lot of light and is very good in shaded areas such as woodland which is where I do a lot of my photograpy. A good purchase in my opinion. RB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old but good, 18 Jun 2013
Paul Moloney (Hertfordshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
Having a D lens as an option is very helpful and I hope that Nikon continue to do this. I am favouring prime lens nowadays rather than all purpose zooms as I have done in the past. The main reason is that current good quality zooms are so expensive and even though they are probably extremely good, I do not feel I can justify it. My wife is still recovering from the eventual( three years to build up for it) purchase of my high quality DSLR. I am happy with the concept of getting the size of lens roughly right and then moving to compose the shot. The camera on which this lens is used is full frame and I find it quite wide enough for landscapes and closer shots where it is handy to get a little more into the frame.
The most obvious point is that the lens is very good, with a wide light range, and it is light and comparatively small and therefore very convenient. A good quality zoom lens on the end of your camera looks good and probably is good but can probably be a little unwieldy at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Street lens..., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens (Electronics)
The perfect Street lens... Goes well with my Nikon Df...

Nikon AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D Lens