4.0 out of 5 stars A Quality game
I played Max Payne as the first game on my brand new laptop, and I was thoroughly impressed.
The game play is absorbing always, and the stylish plotting of the story throughout kept the game interesting.
I will not pretend to be an expert gamer, and as such will often hit a brick wall in the form of badass bosses who dont die when you launch 5 rockets into their...
Published on 20 Nov 2001 by D. Griffiths

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
Well I was sucked in the gorgeous graphics...And the storyline is quite good too, with a great comic book style narrative.
It's true that the Bullet Time is cool, and makes you feel you're Keanu Reeves in "The Matrix" whilst playing it...
The dreamy drugged up scenes are very cool...!
However, I was constantly irritated by the false doors and the...
Published on 14 Aug 2001 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for No. 2!, 11 Aug 2003
Mo "mo79uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
As someone who's been virtually absent from games purchasing for a number of years (mainly due to having an antiquated PC for a long time) I am well into gaming again thanks to the addictive impressiveness of Max Payne - a game now in budget, but still feels like you're ripping the developers off.
I've only had the game a week (and I think I'm close to finishing it within the next few days - hopefully) and there hasn't been a night where I haven't been unblinking at my monitor.
It does seem a quite easy game (on the obligatory initial run anyway), but better than a hard one which vexes you to boredom. On top of that it's still graphically, audio-wise and storically(?) brilliant. It plays like a dream. I haven't enjoyed a game so much since...I really can't remember.
If you haven't bought this and want a great cheap FPS game, you will not go wrong with this. You have my word - the words of a 'til now, fairly detached gamer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 14 Aug 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
The dreamy drugged up scenes are very cool...!
However, I was constantly irritated by the false doors and the lack of interaction with the environment...sure you can press a switch and make things move, but that was it, you pressed a switch and it went into autopilot. Not fun.
The lack of meaningful interaction with the environment undermined the "suspension of disbelief" and the technical achievements made by the Finnish development team.
I would say that it's worth a look if you wanna be Neo for a while (and you've a super powerful computer).

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, I will compare it to Half-Life..., 30 July 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
Because not since Half-Life have I felt I was playing a truly great game. In the same way that Half-Life took what was becoming a tired genre and injected it with flair, originality and at times plain simple genius, so does Max Payne, albeit to a lesser degree.
When we began playing this game on the Saturday morning after its release were impressed with the graphics. We thought bullet time looked wicked. We thought the story of the 'desperate man with nothing to lose' was rather tired and hoped that it would pick up before the action became repetitive. And then it sucked us in.
Firstly don't believe the hype about one hundred percent interactivity with the environment. It's just not true and it's ridiculous that the makers should claim such a thing. But what there is that is interactive is fun to play with and does add that air of realism. Take a shower. Drink a Coke. However do believe the hype that Max Payne will suck up your days, as you explore the huge buildings that the story is set around, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, onto the roofs of trains, onto boats and in one of the most powerful and disturbing moments I've ever had playing a computer game, into the guilt-filled psyche of Max himself.
The game is beautiful hybrid - not only of strategy, puzzle-solving and shooter but also of movie, graphic novel and game. It is filled with pop references: to Buffy, Angel, REM, Hong Kong cinema...the list goes on.
This post-modern shooter is more than just shooting. It's an action filled interactive movie the likes of which The Seventh Guest could never touch. Gape at the graphics, be amazed the Bullet Time, be amused by the overblown prose and be very scared when you start caring about Max and everything he does. It's not Half-Life - but what could be? This is Max Payne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maxium Fun!, 7 April 2002
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
This game is absolutely brilliant! Graphically it's amazing on my respectable PC, but the feature which has made my friends and family gasp is Bullet Time, the cool feature which allows you to slow down time and dodge bullets, Matrix esq. The game also has a variety of different weapons, from a Sniper Rifle to a Colt Commando and a Desert Eagle .50. The gameplay is supurb and the adjusting gameplay means that if you are not doing to well the game eases up a bit, and visa versa. The plot is involving, as you play a ex NYPD officer who's wife and child are killed by drug addicts and you are framed for your cop freinds murder which you didn't commit. Revenge is thrusted into your hands as you walk the city streets ensighting revenge on all druggies, hookers and gangsters and heading further and further up towards the women at the centre of it all....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs improving...., 22 Nov 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
Admittedly this game is class. It oozes in cinematic action ans the matrix bullet-time satisfies all the urges of a budding Keanu.
The graphics are top notch, dispatching baddies with slo-mo death brings a smile to the face, and the bullet damage to EVERYTHING is v cool. However its not all rosy- the lack of a level select means you have to wade through the entire game until you get your fave.
Plus its also TOO DARN EASY!!! and once completed, it lacks longetivity to bring you back to it.
Until you watch The Matrix. Again.
Overall then, a quality shooter- but needs improving! Roll on Max Payne 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars AHHHHHHHHH, 23 Oct 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
This game is just "ahhhhhh" I mean words cannot describe my amazement when i first pressed my right mouse button to activate the bullet time combo. Truely amazeing.
At 1st i thought this game would just be a cheap rip off of matrix, but it actual works well in the game.
One thing tho this game is way, way to easy and too short.
Meaning i had virtually no use for my quick save button.

5.0 out of 5 stars The GAME of the year, 29 Aug 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
Yes, this it is linear. Yes, it is short and easy. Yes, it can get repetative. But to be honest, it doesn't matter. The playability of this game is unmatched in hte 3rd person genre. The bullet-time system is truly magnificent. And above all, it is great fun to play. The system specs are quite high, but this is the type of game to upgrade for. Buy it now

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Matrix Fan's Dream!!!, 26 Aug 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
Ok, so I'm not an expert at writing reviews, but when a game as sublime and stylish as Max Payne comes along, I find it difficult to keep my opinion to myself. From the first cinematic intro to the last colourful in-game comic strip sequence, this masterpiece had me enthralled. There was many a time during this game when I had to pick my jaw off the floor in amazement as I gunned down four or five bad guys whilst in the fluidity of the best invention ever...Bullet-time. Who would not want to re-live some of the best action sequences ever created on celuloid? To focus on just this though would be a mistake. The whole story within the game as well as the subtle touches make this title a must own for all gamers. Anyone who doesn't want to play as someone with the characteristics of Mad Max, Duke Nukem and Chow Yun Fat, is totally insane... The action sequences and black humour mixed with the sometimes terrifying storyline and the ability to play out Max Payne's drugged memorys and dillusions, make this probably the most enjoyable game I have ever played to date. The only downfall is that it is far too short, but that really doesn't matter because we can forgive the designers for they have made a beautiful and well designed game. Go buy it now!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A single gimmick does not a classic game make, 29 July 2001
This review is from: Max Payne (PC CD) (Video Game)
I think I may get flamed for this post but I have to say my piece about Max Payne. Graphically impressive it may be, an new take on Third Person Action Adventure combat via the use of 'bullet time' it has, but that's about it. The voice acting is awful. We're talking 'Amazon Rain Forest' levels of wooden acting and the story I found to be rather confusing. Having said that I did like the idea that the whole game is played retrospectively i.e. the events in the game itself start off 3 years previous. The control of Mr Payne is intuitive although I did find the game grinding to a halt on my reasonably specced PC (PIII 933, Geforce 2 GTS, 256 Mb RAM) was unforgivable. Oh and the camera can be in the wrong place at the wrong time which is always a problem with Third Person games. See Tomb Raider for some real howlers on that score. So, to use the age old cliche, 'Its OK, if you like this sort of thing'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shooting Game EVER, 23 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Wow... Where to start?
Eight years on from its release and the first time I ever played it, admittedly at quite a young age when I should probably have been into ponies and what not, and I'm still longing for the game back. My copy broke, and then my computer broke and then I was broke, so no new Max Payne game for me!
It was the most amazing game I've ever played. The beautifully intricate plotline, the amazingly gorgeous backgrounds, the hilarious mumblings of drugged up junkies. It was funny, fun, scary, brutal, and in general quite incredible for its time.
I may have been young but I will never forget trying to find out who killed Max's wife and child, the scary bit when Max himself is injected by the new drug to flood New York, Valkyr, and the dramatic and hugely twisted ending to the whole thing.
It had me hooked from the start, and once I had completed it I enjoyed replaying my favourite parts over and over and... You get the picture.
A truly amazing piece of engineering and a genuinely exciting and entertaining game, I would recommend it, even now, to anyone wishing to have an amazing gaming experience.
A word of warning however: it is definitely NOT for the faint hearted, as graphic scenes and, as mentioned earlier, drug taking, are amongst those scenes and images you will find in this game.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Max Payne (PC CD)
Max Payne (PC CD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows 95 / 98)
Used & New from: 32.71