5.0 out of 5 stars As timeless as it is wonderful.
Published on 25 Mar. 2011 by Spike Owen

1.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY wary of fake Disney films!
I won't post the seller name as they have been polite and given me a refund, but, this was the third Disney I'd received in the post from Amazon that was a fake.

Published 11 months ago by sduck1984

5.0 out of 5 stars As timeless as it is wonderful., 25 Mar. 2011
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a Walt Disney production based on Snow White by The Brothers Grimm. The rest, as they say, is history. Famously said to be Disney's folly prior to release, Snow White has gone on to be one of the company's biggest earners; few, if anyone, can deny it's not the most deserving from Disney's back catalogue of being released every once in a while on different home formats. Very much a landmark movie for being the first full length animated feature, it also deserves its accolades for the high artistic quality that seeps from every frame. The advancements from Steamboat Willie ten years earlier are nothing short of incredible, the richness of the animation is a joy to behold, as the woodland creatures dart about with purpose, or the way the terror comes to life as Snow White runs thru the forest, the depth and clarity dazzles the eyes. Then of course there`s the songs, most of which have formed part of pop culture ever since they were first heard. "Whistle While You work," "Heigh-Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come," each one a standard uplifter on a dreary day.

That the film is accessible to all ages obviously helped it gain universal appeal. Yes, very young kids are quite easily spooked by the darker moments that lay within, but around the corner is a treat, most notably in the form of 7 little dwarfs, each one with an identity and character that the young and old can fully embrace. One of the finest quotes I can remember about the dwarfs came from Charlie Chaplin, who straight out insisted that Dopey was "one of the greatest comedians of all time", and he`s right of course. True enough it has some minor rough edges that time has inflicted upon it. Snow White is voiced by Adriana Caselotti, her voice is very 30s, very shrill and much too childlike for a character meant to be a young woman. Whilst she`s not exactly painted in a good light, bit of an air-head is our Snow White, but to do down the film for its social portrayal of women in the late 30s would be churlish in the extreme!

Pixar, presently, keeps raising the bar, as computer-perfection-animation thrills the modern day crowd. But make no bones about it, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is still the benchmark animation movie. As technical advancements ensure we are wowed by this particular art form, Disneys folly watches over proceedings as the rightful lord of the manor. Masterpiece 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Mirror on the wall, is this the greatest film of all?, 15 Aug. 2006
D. I. Shipley "David Shipley" (KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs [1937] [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
Snow White is simply a milestone in the history of film making. It is one of those films that has ploughed a course through motion picture history, throwing off as it does so, bits and pieces that have been seized upon by later film makers, and turned into ideas and projects of their own. Many of today's film makers will cite this film as being a major early influence on their careers.

Even today, the film's ability to generate emotion is unique on any media. It can still tug on the heart strings after repeat viewings. This comes down to characterisation, be it of Snow White herself, the animals that help her, or the Seven Dwarves.

All are superbly realised and engage the audience accordingly. Maybe the strength of the Dwarves is that Disney filled their characters with many recognisable human traits, both strong and weak. Audiences could identify with them accordingly.

Annoyingly, the character of Dopey has come under attack from the politically correct for allegedly demeaning people with learning difficulties etc. I would counter that with it is a depiction of someone with difficulties getting on with his life, enjoying it in the process, and being actively supported by his peers, who in very human terms, sometimes express impatience etc with him.

As to the other dwarves, I think we can all recognise something of ourselves, our friends, and our relatives in all of them. Hence the fact that they are so engaging.

The songs from the film have gained immortality and deservedly so. Despite not being a fan of musicals myself, this particular score is truly something else, and I still love it after all this time.

Evil is starkly depicted in this tale in the form of the vain and envious Queen. Once she realises that her own beauty has been surpassed by that of Snow White then she goes all out to kill her. Is it any coincidence that as she becomes ever more murderous and vindictive, her outward appearance starts to match that within? Shortly after deciding to kill Snow White, she becomes the hideous witch, and her subsequent behaviour matches her looks.

Her fate is particularly unpleasant but the morality of the tale is that her own deeds and actions ultimately bring it upon herself. There are no grey areas - the message is that evil ultimately brings evil upon the perpetrator.

Ultimately this film has gained a wide ranging recognition as one of the greatest films ever made and deservedly so.

I am fortunate enough to own one of the Platinum Edition dvds. Picture and sound are superb, in particluar the 5.1 transfer is stunning.

If you can get hold of one of these dvds, then my advice is to buy it. You really will not be disappointed.

"Magic Mirror on the wall, is this the greatest film of all?"

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 17 Dec. 2002
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Before we go into any details, I suggest you put on your protective goggles, strap in and go for the main feature. Prepare to be dazzled with sharp images and excellent sound that stay true to the original film.
As with all Disney products there is a lot of schmaltz explaining to them selves of how great they are. In this case, I will have to agree with them. The platinum edition of "Snow White and the seven Dwarfs" makes it well worth trading in your old version or just retiring it. The two-disk edition has more information than can be absorbed in one sitting.
Amazon did a good job of defining all the DVD goodies. However I must mention a few. This takes advantage of your remote control for navigation. To help you decide you have the magic mirror as a guide through both disks and all the feature sections. The magic mirror reminds me of the morose robot in Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
The only negative comment I have is on the second disk as you navigate the menus do not highlight like they should and leave you guessing as to what you have selected until you press the OK button.
If I had looked at the features first I would have found a game. "Dopey's Wild Mine Ride", that required me to go back to the feature, as I could not remember all the details it asked about. Some of the feature information is redundant. Some will require reading. One of the posters that were displayed looked like an advertisement for "Campbell's Cream of Dwarfs Soup."
There is a Barbra Streisand version of "Some Day My Prince Will Come" which was distracting (no offence Barbra) and would have been much better left sounding like Janet McDonald.
The printed Grimm's version of Snow White story was an eye opener.
You know when things are not as good, exciting, or scary as you remember. Well surprise this movie is as good, as exciting as scary and many time down right hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 14 July 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 16 Feb. 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When you talk about classic animation it doesn't get much more revered or classic than `Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'. The animation here is simply beautiful, even by today's standards, and this is all the more impressive when you take into account the year this was made, 1937. Even better, it is now digitally restored for it's latest release. This is a wonderful fairytale that is full of charm, none of which has diminished over time. This has the delightful dwarf characters and each one adds something unique to the film, of course Dopey is the most hilarious and the one that had me laughing out loud regularly. These dwarfs have now become representative of Disney's early art and are still seen around the parks and on advertising even today. This film has a dark edge to the story that is lacking from the saccharine modern Disney films and this darkness compliments and highlights the light in the rest of the film and in my opinion it is all the better for it. There are nice animated touches throughout, like the detailed carvings in the dwarf house and the forest animals expressions and actions and show the attention to detail Disney brought to his films. This package includes various extras and games, most of which are aimed at kids, but there is a commentary by Walt Disney that is fascinating and of interest to an adult audience. All in all this is classic and beautiful film and well worth adding to your Disney collection.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY wary of fake Disney films!, 28 May 2014

There are a few ways to tell, but the most obvious is the box. All Disney's come in a DARK Blue almost purple box, and have a slot in the side where you open it that fits a security tag. The three I've received have had a flimsy paler blue box which doesn't close properly. Look carefully at the printed label, is it slightly fuzzy? (especially at the top) - also look at the print quality on the disc itself. Disney films only contain a few numbers on the back of the disc, they NEVER write the name of the film but all three of mine said the feature name. I don't support the market of fake goods, but sadly there are lots of sellers on Amazon who are stocking them. I am only going to buy Disney's from Amazon if I can see that they are sold directly from Amazon, and not from third party sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 1 Jun. 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars The first and fairest Disney film of them all!, 3 Dec. 2014
03/24 of Tim Bradley's Amazon Advent Calendar 2014

"Lips red as the rose, hair black as ebony, skin white as snow."

This is one of the important and treasured films of cinema history. `Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' is the very first full-length animated feature film by Walt Disney made in 1937. It is a landmark film and is a classic in cinema history. I remember watching this film when it was re-released in the cinema during the 90s and it's still impressive to this day and hasn't at all dated. Coupled together with `The Wizard of Oz', it's a well-loved classic fairy tale about a princess dreaming of her prince with seven dwarfs providing comic relief and an evil queen/witch providing elements of horror that still look scary watching it on the screen.

When this movie came out on DVD in 2001, I was getting into the worlds of DVD with our new family DVD player (which was a bulky TV set I remember). I was pleased dad got the film on DVD as I have happy memories of this film. I was very impressed with the quality of the DVD, the menus and the special features with it probably being one of the earliest films to come out on DVD. Of course, there have been many renditions of `Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' including a 2 Disc Platinum DVD Edition. But I have the movie on this 1-disc edition and still love it to this day.

When the DVD starts, you are directed to the `Magic Mirror' on the wall who sets up the main menu and is done in an exciting and exhilarating way. I really like the `Magic Mirror' introducing us to the `Snow White' DVD especially for those who are new to using the DVD and it helped me to know where everything is before starting to watch the film. The Magic Mirror goes through each of the options on the menu from `Play' to `Scene Selection' to `Set Up' to `Bonus Features' and the infamous `Guided Tour' which I'll come onto later. It's pretty scary when pressing the `Play' button the Magic Mirror face vanishes in a ball of flame and we're drawn into a black void before starting the movie.

`Snow White' is a well-known fairy tale even if you have or haven't seen the Disney film. It's the story about a young beautiful princess who is made to work as a scullery maid by her wicked stepmother the Queen. As long as the Queen asks her Magic Mirror on the wall, `who is the fairest one of them all?' and the mirror says `You are', Snow White is safe. On one occasion when the Magic Mirror says Snow White is fairer than the Queen, the Queen is determined to have Snow White killed by her Huntsman. When Snow White manages to escape into the forest, she comes across a cottage belonging to seven dwarfs who look after her whilst hiding from her stepmother. But the Queen is out to get her and transforms into a Witch and attempts to poison Snow White with an apple. Can Snow White survive the end of this tale?

I really like the animation and design of this animated film as it must have been painstakingly hard work putting this film together, especially for Disney's first feature-length feature back in 1937. The story holds very well with a mixture of comedy, horror and songs that help to keep the story going.

I like Snow White's character design in the movie, as she looks really beautiful and believable as a human being and you wouldn't think it was hard for the animators to design the human characters in the story. Snow White is sweet, kind and friendly all the way through and is willing to look after the Seven Dwarfs at their cottage if they let her stay. I like how Snow White's rather motherly to them and tells them to wash their hands before dinner. Snow White is pretty dreamy that `someday her prince will come', but then we all do when looking for our true love and that's what makes this film so appealing.

I really like the seven dwarfs in this film who all have their own names and personalities to go with them. There's Doc, the appointed leader of the group. There's Grumpy, who doesn't like Snow White staying with them at the dwarfs' cottage. There's Happy, who keeps the dwarf company in good spirit. There's Sleepy, who's yawning and sleepy in every scene he's in. There's Sneezy, who suffers from hay fever every time his nose comes into contact with flowers. There's Bashful, who's secretly in love with Snow White and blushes every time he sees her. And there's Dopey who's the silliest out of the seven dwarfs and the funniest as he doesn't speak at all in the movie. I love the scenes with these seven dwarfs, especially when they sing their `Heigh-Ho' song from `work to home they go'.

The Prince appears in this movie of Snow White although he has a slim appearance. He only appears at the beginning when he meets Snow White and at the end when he gives her `love's first kiss' and brings her back from the dead. He has a song to sing called `One Song' for Snow White and provides the romance element for Snow White. Animators had difficulty designing the human male character of the Prince, which is why he doesn't appear much in the movie, but it's nice to see him in scenes with Snow White and to provide the happy ending.

The Queen, Snow White's stepmother appears at the beginning as a very beautiful woman with a cold edge about her. She doesn't like Snow White being prettier than her and is determined to have her killed. When her Huntsman fails to do the job, the Queen is furious and is determined to do the job herself. To do that she concocts a potion containing mummy dust; an old hag's cackle; the black of night and a scream of fright mixed by a thunder bolt to make her old. When she takes the potion, she becomes a hideous witch and makes a poison apple for Snow White to bite and die from. Seeing the Queen transform into the old Witch is pretty scary and even today still scares me every time I see her as the old Witch.

The songs are pretty good in this movie and have gone on to become classics in their own right. The songs include `Whistle While You Work'; `Heigh-Ho'; The Dwarf's Washing Song, The Dwarf's Yodal Song and the famous `Someday My Prince Will Come'. These songs work well especially with a balance of humour and sentiment in them.

At the end of film, there's a music video of a new rendition of the song `Someday My Prince Will Come'. It's introduced by Michael Eisner and is sung beautifully by Barbra Streisand.

I really like the bonus features on this original DVD for `Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'. I love the designs of the interactive menus featuring 3D versions of some of the settings of the movie including the Dwarfs' cottage for the `Scene Selection' and the Witch's Lair for the `Bonus Features'. The bonus features include a brief documentary on `The Making of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs', narrated by Angela Lansbury. There's also an Audio Commentary with audio recordings of interviews with Walt Disney. There's a sing-a-long video of `Heigh-Ho' that was on the original Disney `Sing-a-Long' song videos that I remember watching when I was a kid. And there's `Dopey's Wild Mine Ride' game that is my favourite part of the DVD and was pretty exciting and scary when I played it back in 2001.

There's also a Guided Tour which is basically a look at what's on this DVD, mainly the special features. It's introduced by the Magic Mirror and Roy Disney, and once selected you're given the guided tour by Angela Lansbury through a sample of all the special features from `The Making Of' documentary to `Dopey's Wild Mine Ride'.

`Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' is a truly epic and beloved fairy tale movie that will be remembered for years to come. It was the one that started it on and continues to be `fairest of them all'. My heart skips a beat when I watch this film and I will remember it fondly and lovingly always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,, 11 Mar. 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Disney movie of all time, 31 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs [1937] [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
This is the movie that established Walt Disney's reputation as the master of children's cartoons. Even by today's exacting standards, the animation is top notch.

Perhaps the best test of Snow White's enduring charm and beauty is to sit a variety of children between the ages of 5 and 10 in front of it and watch how they become spellbound by it. Visually there is so much to see and enjoy. The detail is stunning. A collection of hugely talented and imaginiative people have vividly brought a stunning array of characters to life in a magical way - magical is truly the perfect word to describe this work of genius.

Of course, adults can enjoy Snow White again and again too. One of the joys of this movie is seeing your sons and daughters enjoy it as much as you did, when you first saw it. And, when you see it again after a gap of 25 years, its power still amazes you.

You could describe this movie as a rite of passage, something that every child should see, and why not - we all love a well-told story, which this unquestionably is. This is film that connects one generation to the next. Perhaps the only other movie that does this is "The Sound of Music".

My only gripe is that Disney releases it so rarely to preserve its value. So next time it comes out, I recommend you buy two copies because younger children will quickly damage the DVD in their eagerness to watch the film umpteen times.

What else can I say but thank you, Walt. It is a masterpiece.

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs [1937] [DVD] [1938]